Single or multiple TCP streaming?

archecon

archecon

Hi,
Emby streaming to the internet via single tcp stream? Or via multiple tcp connections?
Unfortunately I have a poor quality internet connection that won't allow me more speed on 1 tcp connection more than 5Mbit.  Each successive connection multiplies the speed i.e. with 5 parallel connections I already reach more than 20 Mbit. /detected by testing Network traffic speed tools/.
The limited speed of single connections is NOT the fault of Emby. It is a problem of my network in general.
How does the technology work with Emby? Is it possible to force multiple tcp connections for a video stream?
Thank you

Hi, what Emby app are you asking about? Generally speaking this is something that the platform handles for us and is not managed directly by Emby. So for example with the web app, the browser would decide on the number of simultaneous tcp connections.

archecon

Hello, you're right. Thank you for responding. Since the problem is both in the web browser and in the Emby Theater app for Windows, and the adroid app gives me the same result, I didn't specify my query in any way. I have exactly the same problems when streaming from DVBViewer for example.  But testing the throughput with multiple TCP connections shows good values. In contrast, single TCP is very poor.
I'm looking for the cause.. and it occurred to me that the video stream may be sensitive just to the quality of the single TCP connection. 
I may be deeply mistaken and on a false trail.

So let me ask more precisely. Emby Theater for windows when playing a single streamed video does it establish multiple or single TCP connections?

23 hours ago, archecon said:

Hello, you're right. Thank you for responding. Since the problem is both in the web browser and in the Emby Theater app for Windows, and the adroid app gives me the same result, I didn't specify my query in any way. I have exactly the same problems when streaming from DVBViewer for example.  But testing the throughput with multiple TCP connections shows good values. In contrast, single TCP is very poor.
I'm looking for the cause.. and it occurred to me that the video stream may be sensitive just to the quality of the single TCP connection. 
I may be deeply mistaken and on a false trail.

So let me ask more precisely. Emby Theater for windows when playing a single streamed video does it establish multiple or single TCP connections?

HI, do you mean the Emby Theater for Windows Store app or downloaded desktop app?

archecon
On 9/14/2022 at 10:10 PM, Luke said:

HI, do you mean the Emby Theater for Windows Store app or downloaded desktop app?

Downloaded desktop app for windows..

OK so the desktop app uses mpv for video playback, and it doesn't look like it has much that would allow us to control this. In the near future though we're going to be switching to our own ffmpeg based player and then we'll have more low level control over this sort of thing.

archecon
9 hours ago, Luke said:

OK so the desktop app uses mpv for video playback, and it doesn't look like it has much that would allow us to control this. In the near future though we're going to be switching to our own ffmpeg based player and then we'll have more low level control over this sort of thing.

Thank you, that's a good idea. I believe this will help users to stream videos safely with higher bitrates.
After all we are living in the days of 4K and HDR.. dawns over 8K. 
Internet neutrality is more and more just a theory. This would be a solution to technically enable straming even in a not so friendly environment.

• Thanks 1