Weird colors

miniz98

I see the same thing for MPEG2VIDEO testing with 1080i and 720p. It's direct playing.

H264 and H265 both play back normally.

This is on a Pixel 6a with Android 13.

My old Essential Phone with Android 10 is playing the same MPEG2 content without issue.

Edited by roaku
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
CharlieMurphy

Just trying on Pixel 7 for the first time. ATSC1 mpeg2video looks this way when direct played.

I looked through the Android settings for anything video related like HDR and didn't find any. Would client logs help?

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...
CharlieMurphy

Yeah, I feel bad pushing this issue because it's asking them to go so far backwards while other issues are more important to me.  If it's a simple fix though it may be low hanging fruit. It's definitely broken.

EDIT: I guess it might be helpful to test a stream and phone that's doing this with Plex and VLC to see if it's normal there. I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Edited by CharlieMurphy

goddahavit

Version 3.2.82 is fine on my one plus running Android 13. And I prefer the skip forward 10 seconds on the middle of the screen compared to 3.2.90 that does not play live tv correctly. And the skip buttons are lower on the bottom left of the screen not related but why move them? Any way to roll back versions on Android?

• Confused 1

troyhough
On 1/7/2023 at 3:03 PM, CharlieMurphy said:

EDIT: I guess it might be helpful to test a stream and phone that's doing this with Plex and VLC to see if it's normal there. I haven't gotten around to it yet.

Playback with VLC is perfect. Playback with Emby is broken. It's been broken for months.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

From what I can tell (pixel 7) it's only happening on non 1080 channels, but it's consistent. PBS local comes in at 1080p and looks normal.

Screenshot_20230128-101626.png

31 minutes ago, willum said:

From what I can tell (pixel 7) it's only happening on non 1080 channels, but it's consistent. PBS local comes in at 1080p and looks normal.

Screenshot_20230128-101626.png

Have you verified that the normal looking channel isn't being transcoded and that it's MPEG2?

Edited by roaku

7 hours ago, roaku said:

Have you verified that the normal looking channel isn't being transcoded and that it's MPEG2?

So because it's direct play MPEG2 it's causing the discoloration? The web browser appears to be transcoding and looks fine. When I change the quality to force transcoding on the mobile app the video looks normal

Edited by willum

troyhough
1 minute ago, willum said:

So because it's direct play MPEG2 it's causing the discoloration? The web browser appears to be transcoding and looks fine. When I change the quality to force transcoding on the mobile app the video looks normal

Yes this has been discussed.

6 minutes ago, troyhough said:

Yes this has been discussed.

Disappointing. Overall I'm going to be recording and playing back those, and it looks fine on the TV app so it's not a non-starter.

yaggermr

Experiencing the same issues on a pixel 7. I don't get any 1080p streams so I can't verify that. However I can verify that if I transcode the streams or choose an external player the issue does go away. It would be great if there was a fix.

Thanks 

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
ember1205

Any updates on progress? Pixel 7 Pro user here with same issue. This happens on channels of ALL quality but doesn't occur if I use the HDHR app to access the tuners directly.

• Facepalm 1
  • Agree 1

• 5 months later...
troyhough
3 minutes ago, frazzxr said:

I have this issue as well on a pixel 7. Did anyone ever find a resolution?

No I had to move to Channels DVR as my go-to.

troyhough
Just now, frazzxr said:

Lol. Funny, I am coming from channels DVR.

For what reason(s)? You found a fix for the image issue on the Pixel series?

frazzxr
Just now, troyhough said:

For what reason(s)? You found a fix for the image issue on the Pixel series?

No, I just overall have issues with connectivity that I don't seem to see with emby. Mostly, I watch on a fire stick which I have not had issues..... This is more of an inconvenience I can live with, I was just hoping there was a resolution.

Hi, this issue is isolated to Pixel 6 and 7 devices on android 13 and is resolved on Android 14.