Unable to set-up Live TV with Hauppauge Device

Weemisty

Hi,

I tried yesterday and again today to setup LiveTV on my Emby server using a Hauppauge dual USB tuner. After selecting Hauppauge as the TV Source, every time I select 'Detect My Devices' I get the following message:- 'No new devices found. To add a new tuner, close this dialogue and enter the device information manually.'

If I then try to add the device manually, I get the following error message:- 'There was an error saving the TV provider. Please ensure it is accessible and try again.'

I'm using Windows 11 and the Hauppauge tuner is installed using Win TV 10.0.40166 (with Extend).  I did read some old forum posts that said Hauppauge devices on Emby only work with Win 8.5 installed, but I'm not sure if that is still the case as I also read a post from last year that stated support for Hauppauge devices was currently in the process of being upgraded by Team Emby. 

I did test an m3u playlist from my VU+ device which works fine, so I'm able to deduce that there is nothing wrong with my Emby server set-up for Live TV.

I would be very grateful for any hints or tips on what is causing the above problems.

Many thanks

Cheers 

Okay, so I have wee update on the above problem with my Hauppauge USB tuner.

Whilst I've still been unable to get the Emby server to detect my tuner or add it manually, I was able to extract the Strm details for each channel via the Win TV application and created a m3u file to test on the Emby server as an IPTV device. Channels are all working fine on the Emby web app and also using the Android app. 

I also read a post today about the Emby Next-Gen addon and that it could add live TV to Kodi's IPTV client, so I decided to give it try. Everything is working fine and really like that fact that two m3u files on the Emby side are merged into one single file on the Kodi side. However, I have noted that there are no genre labels or genre colours on the Kodi side and wanted to clarify if that was the expected behaviour? I'm not overly bothered, but it would be nice to show this info considering the genre data is included on my guide data.

I also noted that the 'New' and 'Live' flags on the Emby guide screen is not being passed onto the Kodi side. Again, is that the expected behaviour when using the Emby Next-Gen addon? Apart from that, everything else seems to be working just great.   

If any regular users of the Emby Next-Gen addon see this post and are able to reply to the specific points I've raised, I would be very grateful.

Many thanks,

Cheers 

I actually paid for Win TV Extend which appears as the last tab on the Win TV settings and shows the URL details for my live TV channels. I'm not sure if you actually need Win Tv Extend for Streams to work, once they have been added to a m3u file. If you know the IP address of your PC, you could try something like this:

http://Your IP Address:7799/stream?channel=1

7799 is the default streaming port for Win TV and channel=1 is the first channel on your guide (in my case BBC1)

If you don't know how to find the IP address, in the search bar on Windows type CMD and press enter. This will open the Dos command prompt screen. Type ipconfig and press enter. The IP address you need is the IPv4 Address.

The URL then needs to be added to an m3u file, in the following format:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="1" tvg-logo="C:\Users\Mini-Pc\Documents\TV Icons (VU+)\1_0_19_22C5_80D_2_11A0000_0_0_0.png" tvg-id="EPG123.78995.schedulesdirect.org" tvg-name="BBC One Scotland HD",BBC One Scotland HD group-title="Entertainment",BBC One Scotland HD
http://xxx.xxx.x.xx:7799/stream?channel=101

Then just add the 2nd, 3rd channel details etc underneath (minus the #EXTM3U part).

Linked below is basic tutorial on how to create a m3u file for IPTV channels, which should help you further.

https://kodibeginner.com/create-edit-m3u-playlist/

However, creating an m3u file manually for all the channels on your Hauppauge tuner is going to be quite a lengthy process. It would be better IMO to establish why these devices are not being identified by Emby, so that channels can be added as they are intended to be, without the need for any manual configuration.

Hope the info helps.

Cheers

• 3 months later...
Weemisty

I would be very grateful if somebody could actually respond to the original problem I raised on the 1st post to this thread nearly 4 months ago about not being able to set-up LiveTV using a Hauppauge device. I've checked again today and both of the error messages I mentioned on my original post are still occurring, so from my perspective nothing has actually changed.

Whilst I was able to get around the problem by creating a m3u channel list for this device, it's not ideal as I cannot watch and record different channels at the same time by using a dual tuner in this way, ie by making the tuner a single IPTV device.

This is not how I had really envisaged viewing live TV on Emby, particularly when you consider the Live TV feature is subscription based. To date, nobody has even responded to the original post acknowledging the issue, let alone suggesting any kind of potential solution. As you can probably imagine, this is a little frustrating to say the least.

Grateful for any feedback.         

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2022 at 11:30 AM, Weemisty said:

I would be very grateful if somebody could actually respond to the original problem I raised on the 1st post to this thread nearly 4 months ago about not being able to set-up LiveTV using a Hauppauge device. I've checked again today and both of the error messages I mentioned on my original post are still occurring, so from my perspective nothing has actually changed.

Whilst I was able to get around the problem by creating a m3u channel list for this device, it's not ideal as I cannot watch and record different channels at the same time by using a dual tuner in this way, ie by making the tuner a single IPTV device.

This is not how I had really envisaged viewing live TV on Emby, particularly when you consider the Live TV feature is subscription based. To date, nobody has even responded to the original post acknowledging the issue, let alone suggesting any kind of potential solution. As you can probably imagine, this is a little frustrating to say the least.

Grateful for any feedback.         

Hi @Weemisty please attach the emby server log from when you tried to do this:

Thanks.

Weemisty
On 19/01/2023 at 02:06, Luke said:

Hi @Weemisty please attach the emby server log from when you tried to do this:

Thanks.

Hi @Luke

I'll try and get a log tomorrow at some point.

As I've said previously, I've kind of got around the issue by creating a manual m3u so I'm still able to use Emby to some extent. I also came across a thread last week purely by chance that was discussing all the new Live TV features that are currently being worked on. Obviously, I wasn't aware of this when I originally raised this issue.

Please accept my apologies if I sounded like I was moaning un-necessarily. 😳

• Thanks 1