Buffering issue with all quality option

Zumokishiari

Zumokishiari

Hello,

I've just installed Emby and I'm having a lot of problems with buffering in all video quality options.

I've changed a lot of options in even from a perspective of using a specific "Transcoding temporary path" in order to assist, but nothing seems to work.

This is in a local network, unfortunately I do believe that hardware can't handle the transconding but at lower quality it should go smooth.

# lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Linuxmint
Description:    Linux Mint 20.3
Release:        20.3
Codename:       una

PC hardware and logs attached to the topic.

Any help would be much appreciated.

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-transcode-1d91624b-5e99-426f-9723-2b38cf3e9cb3_1.txt mySpecs.html

RanmaCanada

Greyhound.2020.2160p.ATVP.WEB-DL.DDP5.1.Atmos.HEVC

You are attempting to transcode a 4k HEVC file to SDR.  You need serious hardware to do this in software mode.  If the laptop listed is your server, it is no where near powerful enough to handle this.  If you are in the USA, I would recommend you pick up this machine as it will be more than powerful enough to handle pretty much anything.

Your other option, is to buy a device that can direct play your files, like a 4k firestick or "other" android box, like the cheap ones from China (they do not support any legal services though and firmwares can be a disater waiting to happen)

Zumokishiari

@RanmaCanada Thank you reply. I'm reusing some old hardware I have at home.

I know is not the greatest, so to run 4K movies I will need to have a new hardware so that it can  handle the 4k movies?

RanmaCanada
On 13/09/2022 at 04:07, Zumokishiari said:

@RanmaCanada Thank you reply. I'm reusing some old hardware I have at home.

I know is not the greatest, so to run 4K movies I will need to have a new hardware so that it can  handle the 4k movies?

If you are going to transcode, yes.  Your other option is to repalce whatever devices you are using to watch the content on, with ones that can direct play 4k, or if you already have such hardware, stop watching 4k content on devices that absolutely can not direct play it.  I personaly have a 4k library, with HDR and DolbyVision separate.  The only people who can access these libraries are people who can direct play said content with no transcoding taking place (some have access to just the HDR, some have access to both, pending on their TVs).  My "server" can handle any transcodes and tone mapping (except for DolbyVision as it's not possible, yet), but I'm of the mind that 4k should NEVER, EVER be transcoded.

Zumokishiari

All my TV at home have 4K natively, my question does Emby knows that the end device has 4K and doesn't need to transcode or that is done at a server level?

7 hours ago, Zumokishiari said:

All my TV at home have 4K natively, my question does Emby knows that the end device has 4K and doesn't need to transcode or that is done at a server level?

Yes it does, but in your example, it was transcoding due to firefox not supporting the video format, so nothing to do with 4K resolution. That's why I would suggest checking out our Emby Theater app as it can direct play more formats without transcoding than the browser can.

RanmaCanada
On 17/09/2022 at 14:38, Zumokishiari said:

The TV are having also the same issue, buffering I will provide the logs as soon as I can.

What devices are hooked up to the TVs?  If no devices, what are the exact make and models of the TV's in question.  The more information you bring forward, the easier it is to pinpoint the issue.

Happy2Play
On 9/17/2022 at 11:38 AM, Zumokishiari said:

The TV are having also the same issue, buffering I will provide the logs as soon as I can.

Yes specific info and logs for TV playback are need as ffmpeg log in first post only covers FireFox.

But if the Client cannot Direct Play, the hardware is not powerful enough to convert fast enough at least HEVC conversions.

fps=6.1    speed=0.248x

On 9/16/2022 at 11:24 AM, Luke said:

That's why I would suggest checking out our Emby Theater app as it can direct play more formats without transcoding than the browser can.

@Zumokishiari this will likely resolve your issue.

Zumokishiari

• 2 weeks later...
rbjtech

Both of those TV's are 4K HDR capable.

You need to get the LG Emby client to direct play - ANY other transcode or even a remux is going to stall your system.

All the above logs are transcode logs - meaning things are going to fail for you.

Also - when testing - ensure subtitles are turned off.