Sort Movie Collections in Chronological Order?

JulesC

I have some Collections that I would like to sort the movies in chronological order. I have tried via Metadata Sort Order, but it only changed the sort order under MOVIES vs COLLECTIONS. 

Can this be done? If so, how?

TIA

Happy2Play

Collections have two sort order per Collection item metadata.

image.png.2d6eaa390ab897ca7c20d5a239c23840.png

Edited by Happy2Play

@Happy2Play thank you for your response. 

I see how this can change the sort to Title vs Release Date, but not clear how this can sort chronologically - I’m sure I’m missing something. 

Do I have to change the Tile Names within the Collection to achieve a chronological order or is it something else?

Thank you 

Happy2Play

@JulesC Pretty sure it would fall under this FR.  As right now you would have to butcher Sort Names to achieve a specific order.

• 1 year later...
JoeVogt

I agree. Sorting need to include two sort orders. One for TITLE and for RELEASE DATE. For example all batman movies, all star wars movies, all series should have the sort name like star wars and then sort the release date so they are in order of release. I hope someone is reading this. Emby is a fantastic tool.

Gilgamesh_48
On 9/8/2022 at 10:34 PM, JulesC said:

@Happy2Play thank you for your response. 

I see how this can change the sort to Title vs Release Date, but not clear how this can sort chronologically - I’m sure I’m missing something. 

Do I have to change the Tile Names within the Collection to achieve a chronological order or is it something else?

Thank you 

Are not "release date" and "chronological" the same? I seem to be able to sort any of my collections by either. "Release date" gets them in the order released while "sort title" gets them in the order I actually want as I use sort title to get things managed correctly.

If you mean the order many/most people would want it watch in I use sort title for that Like all my Star Wars movies have sort titles like "Star Wars xxxx" where "xxxx" represents whatever order I want them in. It seems that Emby already handles sorting just fine. Unless I am missing something.

• Agree 1

Amything

Collections are also used for stuff like Trending Movies. In which case the optimal sort order would be Date Added Descending so you can see what is new first. Would love to be able to do that via API.

Edited by Amything