Can't watch DV content on MacBook Pro 14"

MSI2017

MSI2017

Hi all,

I have a MacBook which supports Dolby Vision but when watching on either Chrome or Saafari (full quality) the video is still purple and green meaning it doens't recognize a DV file. Any ideas on how to watch?

Thanks!

MSI2017
On 9/5/2022 at 8:15 PM, Luke said:

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

Hi Luke,

It's not a playback issue in the traditional sense I think. It's just not Emby triggering MacOS to get the corrent tonemapping. For example, if watching DoVi or HDR10 content and you lower brightness, it will still use tonemapping to keep the video file bright and dim the rest of the screen. When watching HDR10 content on my MacBook it either falls back to HDR10 but without the MacOS tonemapping or it will just not recognise DoVi and give the video with green and purple colours which happens when watching on a device that is not DoVi capable.

I have attached a video of that below, I hope it will come across a bit and help Emby trigger proper tonemappping. Emby does not have this behaviour when playing back HDR video's (more below the video)

Regarding DoVi, in my limited research it seems like for DoVi content on MacOS needs to be ICtCp profile 5 dvh1 mp4, based on this post https://www.avsforum.com/threads/apple-dolby-vision.3252865/. I unfortunately do not have the skills to build a program from github and run the commands, is this something Emby Server could do? That would probably also fix DoVi playback on iPhone, which at the moment still does not work. There are programs like infuse which can do it but those have lesser tonemapping as well.

Edited by MSI2017

MSI2017
16 hours ago, MSI2017 said:

Hi Luke,

It's not a playback issue in the traditional sense I think. It's just not Emby triggering MacOS to get the corrent tonemapping. For example, if watching DoVi or HDR10 content and you lower brightness, it will still use tonemapping to keep the video file bright and dim the rest of the screen. When watching HDR10 content on my MacBook it either falls back to HDR10 but without the MacOS tonemapping or it will just not recognise DoVi and give the video with green and purple colours which happens when watching on a device that is not DoVi capable.

I have attached a video of that below, I hope it will come across a bit and help Emby trigger proper tonemappping. Emby does not have this behaviour when playing back HDR video's (more below the video)

Regarding DoVi, in my limited research it seems like for DoVi content on MacOS needs to be ICtCp profile 5 dvh1 mp4, based on this post https://www.avsforum.com/threads/apple-dolby-vision.3252865/. I unfortunately do not have the skills to build a program from github and run the commands, is this something Emby Server could do? That would probably also fix DoVi playback on iPhone, which at the moment still does not work. There are programs like infuse which can do it but those have lesser tonemapping as well.

@Luke regarding the post on avsforum, I tried it with a file which only contains one stream and that didn't work, but using a file which also has the HDR10 for fallback it does work. Might help