V1.3.4 Visual seeking no longer works and sometimes crashes app

Dickydodah!
Go to solution Solved by Dickydodah!,

26 minutes ago, Dickydodah! said:

Hi @SamES it is direct playing so no transcoding logs.

Sorry, I'm confused.  When you made this comment, I presumed you meant it was not DirectPlaying

14 hours ago, Dickydodah! said:

If I put one of the files on a USB and tried to play direct on the TV would that be a reasonable test, I suspect not really as I have seen others try this A/B comparison.

I think what you mean is that you don't see the problem via USB, but only through the app - both are DirectPlay.  Correct?

Dickydodah!

Correct 😃 No transcoding on my server it's a bit too weedy for that.

I have been playing around and looking at the logs to see if I can see anything, again mostly for my interest and I can see a response 206 that ties up with the moment of failure.

Info Server: http/1.0 Response 206 to ‌‍‍192.168.1.153‌. Time: 302ms

Hopefully you have seen this too. If not I can reproduce it with debug on and send the log.

Dickydodah!

I see how I confused you when I said "play direct" on the TV. I didn't mean to imply "DirectPlay" just that I was playing "directly" on the TV not on the Emby app 😀

Ain't english great 🤣

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dickydodah! said:

I see how I confused you when I said "play direct" on the TV. I didn't mean to imply "DirectPlay" just that I was playing "directly" on the TV not on the Emby app 😀

Ain't English great 🤣

👍

You say that V1.3.3 worked fine.  So visual seeking worked fine for that version, no crashes, or did you not really use seeking in that version?

Dickydodah!

Seeking worked fine in 1.3.3 in fact I don't think there were any issues at all that I can recall.

I have a HDHomeRun to record live TV so tend to have to FF through advrts and the padding before the programme. These are TS files which also fail in V1.3.4 and V1.3.5.

Dickydodah!

If 1.3.3 hasn't completly expired I can downgrade to get a debug log and of course confirm it works. unfortunatley i don't have a copy to try with. If you have one can you PM it to me?

That would remove a nagging doubt I have that my network may be to blame.

Dickydodah!

Unfortunatley it won't install, I even deleted the V1.3.5 App and also disconnected the LAN but it must have expired.

However when I did a complete new install of V1.3.5 I tried the same file again and it allowed me to skip forwards at least nine times before freezing. I restarted the App and it was back to the 3 skips then freezing. Almost like a buffer issue? Again the musings of a lunatic so don't take too much notice 🤣

Unfortunately I can't reproduce this at all.  You mentioned that your server is fairly low powered.  I wonder if that is causing an issue?

Dickydodah!

These sort of issues are a real pain I know and I'm grateful for your efforts.

It's not a complete slug as it runs W10 fine and I have watched the CPU whilst playing and there are no spikes that I can recall, I will check that again. These files skipped fine under 1.3.3 but not 1.3.4 or .5 so points more to the changes made in the App. I also have a Samsung UE32M5500 and a Roku which I don't really use so I'll try those out just as a comparison.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but playback is mostly done by the app with very little server side activity and as this works fine it makes sense.

When skipping how is the interaction handled? I can't even see anything in the log to indicate a skip which leads me to assume (very silly thing to do) that the skip is handled by the App as well.

May I ask what TV and server version are you trying to reproduce this on as there may be some difference that I can explore? I was considering installing a new server on my laptop for testing and I reckon that will be a good next step. I also have my son's server that needs a bit of sorting but I can try that out as well. At least that may give an indicator of which side of the server/client relationship the issue is on.

FrostByte

I tried for 30 minutes yesterday, and I can't get it to crash either.  Tried numerous things with the timeline and it always worked.  My Q8FN is from 2018 and I'm using beta server.

Give the M5500 a try if you can.  That's a 2017 and newer than your other set.  I'm pretty sure SamES had a 2017 at one time.   Maybe it's the Tizen version?

Edited by FrostByte

Dickydodah!

@FrostByte I have done a few tests.

First test was to connect my son's server to my network with a different port number. Tested skipping on that server with my U6510 running 1.3.5. All directPlay. Exactly the same symptoms as playing from my own server. No lack of power on his server as it used to be a gaming PC. This points to the App/TV

I then tested on my M5500 which was running V1.3.1 and everything worked fine. I upgraded to V1.3.5 and tested again and it still worked. I would say that it wasn't as smooth as V1.3.1 but it didn't crash. This now points to the U6500 TV or the version of Tizen.

The U6500 is software version 1260 Tizen 2.4.0

The M5500 is software version 1310 Tizen 3.0

I've tried an update on both TV's and they are both on the latest release.

Remembering that this used to work on the older U6400 on App V1.3.3 this tells me that the changes made in V1.3.4 don't work with Tizen 2.4.0. @Luke did say this yesterday but I still have my fingers crossed that you can find something 😀

FrostByte

You can update the firmware, but the actual Tizen version can only be updated by buying an evolution kit and I don't think they make those anymore.

Maybe @SamES can run it in a 2016 emulator from the devkit.  He may have already done that though.  Sometimes the code has to check Tizen version (year) and do different things.  If that's it.

• Like 1

Yes, I’m testing this in the 2016 emulator, and also my 2017 tv. 

The skipping itself is done by the client, but the client is only loading about 10 seconds of content at a time, so it is dependent on the network and server being able to support the requests.

I’m not sure why this is different between 1.3.3 and  the newer versions.  There has been no changes to the player, in fact the player has always had this skip  functionality, that’s how it jumps to the resume point or to chapter marks.  Instead of seeking, you could do some tests where you select different chapters from the OSD and see if this causes the same crash.

I also wouldn’t rule out the network contributing to this issue.  If you’re tv is on a wired connection, then try wireless and vice-versa.

If you have a more powerful PC, or even just to test a different PC  you could download the portable version of the server and just make a small library with a few files and test if the problem still occurs

Edited by SamES
  • Like 1

Dickydodah!

@SamES I've tried a different server and I get the same result. This is a much more powerful machine so it's not a server side issue.

I've just tried the Chapter select and that is fine as is the resume if I just stop and come back to it later.

I'm next going to try some network testing and replace a few bits. The server is physically only 3ft from the TV so should be quite easy. I have my doubts that this will have any sucess though as I am deliberatly using a low bit rate file and the M5500 is further away in the network via a hub I believe. However I do believe in testing everything no matter how unlikley it may be. I also intend doing a factory reset on the TV.

I'll let you know how I get on 🤞

Dickydodah!

I'm not sure why I hadn't tried this before but I've just installed V1.0.94 from the Samsung app library and it works perfectly. As a bonus I have the themes back and the "ends at" is back in a sensible place. Obviously some of the nice new features are missing but they are not a showstopper. At least this version is wife friendly 🤣

Is there a newer version which I could install that was released before Samsung set an expiry on USB loaded Apps?

Do you agree that this is proof that the network etc. is OK? I still have v1.3.5 installed and am quite willing to continue with any tests you may have.

Edited by Dickydodah!
  • Like 1

Dickydodah!
On 06/09/2022 at 20:51, SidneyUA said:

I have the same problem after updating an app. Also on directplay, i tried hevc and h264 - result is the same. But i noticed that when i press "down" to show info, video instantly catches up to the progress indicator.

Hi, did the new app fix your problem? I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this issue. If I am I'm guessing that either I'm the only one with this TV or there is a specific problem somewhere in my setup.

Dickydodah!

Hi, I've tested the new build 1.3.7 on my UE43KU6510 and my UE32M5500 and the playback is now working as expected on both. However a couple of new display bugs have crept in 🙁

The first is very minor and only affects the 6510. When viewing the episode display the info about the episode seems to be in a box with curved coners and the edge of the text is cut off. The 5500 is absolutly fine on this. This "curved box" issue is also seen on movies and music but not anywhere on the TV guide.

IMG_20220917_101029_739.thumb.jpg.fe3510ba86f3ef85bf3f85ff26f6a766.jpg

The second issue affects both models. Prior to playing a video the backdrop is seen behind the text as expected. Once the video has been played for any amount of time the backdrop dissapears and is just a black background. This persists throughout the app on all screens and the only way to get any backdrops and the correct colour background back is to exit the app and restart. This happens on Live TV as well as TV and Movie libraries.

IMG_20220917_101758_500.thumb.jpg.b1c700533c338f37a98975c2ff175718.jpgIMG_20220917_101121_983.thumb.jpg.fe534368b5ecedd173099e8c11de36ba.jpg

This is the debug log of selecting the episode, playing for a few seconds and then pressing the back button.

embyserver.txt

Edited by Dickydodah!

• Solution
Dickydodah!

I've just seen that the black screen issue has been reported in the "home screen focus preview background images stop work on 1.3.7" thread.

The text issue hasn't as far as I can see so I have added it to that thread. as far as the visual seeking and crashing issue I would say that that is fixed 👍

Edited by Dickydodah!
  • Thanks 1