Original title as main title?

benpicard

benpicard

Hello! 

I'm a user from Quebec, Canada and we have 2 main languages, French and English.

Most of my library is in those 2 languages, I would like to be able to keep the original title in French if it's a french movie. At this moment, the french movies are getting translated.

Anyway to do it? I think that a setting to set the original title by default for all items in the library would solved my problem (since the original title will be in French if it's a french movie)

I don't want to split my collection into different folders (one folder by language)

Regards,

benpicard

Sorry for the late reply.

My library have English and French movies.

I set it to English because it's mostly the name that I want to see.

When it's a French only (like I mean, a movie made in France), i would like to keep the original title, since it will be in French.

That's why I asked if it was possible to always display the original title as it would always be in English for the American movie and in French for the movies from French countries.

Thank you!

benpicard
Just now, Luke said:

You're saying you want the French title, but the rest of the metadata, like the description, in English?

Exactly! In a perfect world, if it's an original French movie, it would get the data for that movie in French but I really don't mind about the description or even the cover image, the title in French would be enough for me or my family to understand what movie it is.

Sometime, the translated title is just too far from the original one.

On 9/13/2022 at 11:00 AM, benpicard said:

Exactly! In a perfect world, if it's an original French movie, it would get the data for that movie in French but I really don't mind about the description or even the cover image, the title in French would be enough for me or my family to understand what movie it is.

Sometime, the translated title is just too far from the original one.

OK yes this has come up before and is something that can be added in future updates. Thanks.

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
PeteGul

YES please, the choise of "Keeping original title" would be nice.

Even if you set the download language to something else.

It's a long time since I used Kodi, but I'll think I remember they have this choice :-)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

As a European, I agree we need a feature to keep the original title. I speak and live in an English speaking country, but I watch movies from other European languages like French and German... But the movie titles in English half the time don't translate well

• Agree 1

• 4 months later...
4 minutes ago, benpicard said:

any update about this setting?

HI, yes it's possible for future updates. Thanks.

• 6 months later...
suiziide

This would be really great.

Since you can already see the original title if you edit metadata, it would be nice if there was a library setting for using original title for display, meaning english movies would show english title, french movies show french title, japanese movie show japanese title and so on. Having to edit all my movies for foreign titles is a bit tedious.