Where does emby server store movies covers and fanart

skank

Where does emby store the covers ? Im running emby on pi, but the media is on different unraid machine

The pi is 24/24 on, the unraid not.

I would like to always see the covers, when i'm browsing emby, even when the server is offline...

Is that possible?

caffeineshock

correct me when im wrong:
by default emby saves the data in its own "local" directory (for windows its %appdata%\emby) 

there is a setting (opt-in, so its disabled by default) where emby can save the metadata in the same directory as the media. if you dont enable it, it will be saved locally

this is true for me and the server running on windows but i would surprise me if its different on linux

(german. first option "image-material in media-folder save")

image.thumb.png.3118bd288e12433271c802c3e927deb3.png

• Like 1

Its working

However if i shut down my unraid server, all my covers are gone.

I would rather prefer that all covers stay and that they just throw an error when i want to try and play it...

Is that possible?

I dunno if @ebr or @Luke can answer that?

22 hours ago, skank said:

Its working

However if i shut down my unraid server, all my covers are gone.

I would rather prefer that all covers stay and that they just throw an error when i want to try and play it...

Is that possible?

I dunno if @ebr or @Luke can answer that?

HI, to do this we'd have to store complete copies of your artwork in the server's internal folders. We don't currently do this, although this topic has come up before and there is an open feature request for it.

40 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, to do this we'd have to store complete copies of your artwork in the server's internal folders. We don't currently do this, although this topic has come up before and there is an open feature request for it.

Hi, i thought ,if the option where emby can save the metadata in the same directory as the media is disabled (it is by default), emby stores its artwork in the servers internal folders...

Guess not then... 

Any idea ff the open feature request will be fulfilled?

Can i be warned if its included?

Hi, i thought ,if the option where emby can save the metadata in the same directory as the media is disabled (it is by default), emby stores its artwork in the servers internal folders...

That is correct, yes.

1 hour ago, Luke said:

That is correct, yes.

Huh, then i dont understand...

The post before you said "HI, to do this we'd have to store complete copies of your artwork in the server's internal folders. We don't currently do this, although this topic has come up before and there is an open feature request for it."

And now you are saying , that its correct you do this...

I'm missing something 😛

Do you have existing images in your media directories? We'd have to look at an example of what exactly loses it's cover image.

We'd have to look at an example of what exactly loses it's cover image.

Can you please show us an example?

In what way?

IF the server is shut down, i dont see any covers.

I can show you but its just an empty library

If i turn the server on, it comes up again after a sync

@LukeAny idea?

So basically what i want to do:

I got 2 machines

1 is on raspberry pi and 24/24 on, it contains emby server but NO MEDIA
2nd is an unraid machine, not 24/24 on , contains all media

I start emby server, i should always have ALL my covers of media... even when the unraid machine is offline.
It should only look for new media, when unraid is online

IF i click a movie and unraid is online -> it plays
If i click a movie, and unraid is offline > i get a warning it cant play, but the covers and info should still be there

As for now, that doesnt work

IF both are online, i get covers on  emby server
IF unraid is offline, all covers are gone and i have no media

If you store images in media folders, the server does not keep a full copy of those images in it's internal folder. That is what is causing this. We do keep a cache of previously requested images, and when a client requests the exact same thing, then that is used.

But when the client requests something different (e.g. different size), then it goes back to the original file and that's what is causing this.

There are open feature requests to have Emby Server keep full copies of all images internally which would resolve your problem.