gentoo release

gsnerf

• 5 months later...

I tried to install emby-server from megacoffee repo, but unfortunately the fetch process already fails:

Machine ~ # emerge -v emby-server

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    ~] media-tv/emby-server-3.2.27.0::megacoffee  80,991 KiB

Total: 1 package (1 new), Size of downloads: 80,991 KiB

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) media-tv/emby-server-3.2.27.0::megacoffee
>>> Downloading 'https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/archive/3.2.27.0.tar.gz'
--2017-10-12 09:44:36--  https://github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/archive/3.2.27.0.tar.gz
Resolving github.com... 192.30.253.112, 192.30.253.113
Connecting to github.com|192.30.253.112|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 302 Found
Location: https://codeload.github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/tar.gz/3.2.27.0 [following]
--2017-10-12 09:44:36--  https://codeload.github.com/MediaBrowser/Emby/tar.gz/3.2.27.0
Resolving codeload.github.com... 192.30.253.120, 192.30.253.121
Connecting to codeload.github.com|192.30.253.120|:443... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 82932981 (79M) [application/x-gzip]
Saving to: '/usr/portage/distfiles/3.2.27.0.tar.gz'

/usr/portage/distfi 100%[===================>]  79.09M  22.7MB/s    in 4.3s

2017-10-12 09:44:41 (18.2 MB/s) - '/usr/portage/distfiles/3.2.27.0.tar.gz' saved [82932981/82932981]

!!! Fetched file: 3.2.27.0.tar.gz VERIFY FAILED!
!!! Reason: Filesize does not match recorded size
!!! Got:      82932981
!!! Expected: 82933828
Refetching... File renamed to '/usr/portage/distfiles/3.2.27.0.tar.gz._checksum_failure_.dbVSnO'

!!! Couldn't download '3.2.27.0.tar.gz'. Aborting.
 * Fetch failed for 'media-tv/emby-server-3.2.27.0', Log file:
 *  '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/emby-server-3.2.27.0/temp/build.log'

>>> Failed to emerge media-tv/emby-server-3.2.27.0, Log file:

>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/emby-server-3.2.27.0/temp/build.log'

* Messages for package media-tv/emby-server-3.2.27.0:

* Fetch failed for 'media-tv/emby-server-3.2.27.0', Log file:
 *  '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/emby-server-3.2.27.0/temp/build.log'

I can provide all logs needed, but I guess the problem is on the repo?

thanks, greets!

From the message I'd say the package on github changed since I created the digest for the ebuild. I'll recreate and update the ebuild, should be working in about an hour.

hey, thanks for the quick response. i cleared my distfiles and synced the megacoffee overlay that minute, but unfortunately the issue persists.
maybe you just updated the git-repo but not the overlay?
thanks man, greets!

Edited by rabbyt

That's strange, I see the updated ebuilds on the remote repository and I could successfully install from a completely different system. Did it pick up the update to 3.2.33.0 for you?

Could you attach a complete install log file for me?

Hey, got it sorted now. I used autounmask feature and just 3.2.27 got unmasked. after unmasking all 3.2.30 installed without any hassle. thanks!

• 1 year later...

Unfortunately my ebuild testing setup is currently broken. I'm not sure if I come around to fix it this weekend. If It works out I'll try to have an update ready shortly.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update: my testing environment is almost finished. Had to start from scratch, but gotten pretty far. I suspect to have updated ebuilds by the end of the week.

• Like 1

I still have trouble building the 3.5 releases, but I managed to get an updated and working ebuild for 3.4.1.

Along with the new version I now provide a systemd service to start emby, just call

systemctl start emby-server

Have fun and stay tuned for 3.5

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
tinfoilhat_society

Any news on the 3.5.x Version ?

What i do is use the fedora version of the release. I just unpack it, copy where everything needs to go. You do have to modify the emby init script in  the bin directory and take out update and change the # /bin line at the beginning of the script. All be it i couldn't get the transcoding to work but i don't have a decent card to do it with any ways. you can also do a "ln -sf" of your version of ffmpeg and ffprob and replace the ones in the bin directory as well

you can also do a "ln -sf" of your version of ffmpeg and ffprob and replace the ones in the bin directory as well

Why would you do that, just curious?

tinfoilhat_society

Why would you do that, just curious?

well since i compiled ffmpeg for my computer with what little optimization with cflags and lto.  I just hoping that using my own version would make transcoding in software mode a little bit quicker, Don't get me wrong it will  work with using the ones that are included. I just never put it to a test to see if there is a difference.

Edited by tinfoilhat_society

Any news on the 3.5.x Version ?

Unfortunately I haven't had any luck (and limited time to fiddle with) compiling 3.5.x with mono and .net core build scripts are not available.

Also, as the devs have moved to a closed source model for 3.6 and newer, I cannot provide source ebuilds for emby anymore.

While it would technically be possible to provide ebuilds for binary builds, I don't really think this to be a good way to continue. This has multiple reasons:

• I can't provide any insights as to what is contained in the downloaded software package.
  • As far as I can see the team seems to mainly go for providing customized (at least in configuration possibly codewise) ffmpeg builds without an easy possibility for me to know whats inside and how to reproduce with ffmpeg builds provided through portage means.

I guess it's better to switch to the docker builds from now on.

Additionally I kind of lost my motivation to support emby at all. The way the project moved from open source to closed source and the whole communication around it (on 'both sides' and in some aspects the lack of it), the fast but incompatible way server releases and client updates are pushed are a real annoyance to me. I was forced to update the server 3 times last year just because the xbox client 'had to' be updated in a way denying access to a perfectly fine working server. Additionally the web interface continually worstened to a point where it simply SUCKS to be used on the xbox browser. I liked emby a lot. Moved from plex and plex premiere to emby and emby premiere, it seems it is time to move to something new now.

Edit: If someone wants to create binary ebuilds feel free to reuse and adapt whatever scripts (like the init.rc and systemd scripts) I created.

Edited by gsnerf