gentoo release

gsnerf

gsnerf

ATTENTION: If you still have the old mediabrowser-server package installed be sure to switch to emby-server as 3.0.5572.0 will be the last update to this package! Also the library path for the emby-server package moved to /var/lib/emby-server!

Good news everyone! The linux package list for the server is growing!
After the first debian/ubuntu package surfaced, now the gentoo package is on its way.

To use it fire up our all time favourite layman and add the overlay megacoffee:

layman -a megacoffee

Next up you should customize some options like file type support for imagemagick and ffmpeg to suit your needs by configuring use flags. Here's an example of suggested settings, you can put it as a file in /etc/portage/package.use/emby :

# this disables libgdiplus support in mono as we don't use it
dev-lang/mono minimal

# picture format support: jpeg, png and webp are needed, everything else is optional and may depend on your photos file formats
media-gfx/imagemagick jpeg jpeg2k png webp tiff

# the q8 setting is optional and speeds up image processing, if you have other tools using imagemagick you might want to disable this
media-gfx/imagemagick q8

# these are some basic ffmpeg runtime options that should always be enabled for performance reasons
media-video/ffmpeg vdpau vpx threads

# here you should define spport for all codecs you have in your video collection!
media-video/ffmpeg aac mp3 pic theora vorbis x264 xvid webp

After that you can install the package through

emerge -avND media-tv/emby-server

As the package depends on an version of mono that gentoo still consideres to be 'unstable' and the releases are fairly fresh, the packages are still architecture masked.

Architectures that should work are x86, amd64 and arm. I haven't been able to actually test the ebuild on ARM systems, so if you happen to have an ARM based gentoo box please drop me a line if it works all right. If you feel lucky you can also try this on any number of other architectures and let me know you have any problems.

Some things to know about the package:

• If you are an inexperienced linux user and try to decide what kind of linux distro you want to use: do not use gentoo just because there is a emby package! Gentoo needs a good amount of time to correctly setup and grasp, so you propably will run into problems that you cannot fix on the first run, so be prepared!
  • It will be installed to /opt/emby-server.
  • The data directory defaults to /var/lib/emby-server but can be changed through the configuration in /etc/conf.d/emby-server.conf
  • The newest mono release in the official tree is 3.2.8 and architecture masked. It is mostly stable though, so don't be shy to unmask it. If you want or need a more recent version use the overlay dotnet from the official layman list. The current recommendation is to use 3.10.0, as old versions have problems with SSL connections and 3.12.0 is a bit wonky on the stability side.
  • If you already use an systemd enabled gentoo you won't have an init script ready for use (currently only the default OpenRC is supported here). Until I have been able to setup a test environment have a look at answer #9 in this thread.

For more information about the overlay and contact options apart from this forum head over to http://gentoo-overlay.megacoffee.net/
Have fun and let me know if there are problems!

Edited by gsnerf
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Good news everyone! The linux package list for the server is growing!

After the first debian/ubuntu package surfaced, now the gentoo package is on its way.

Thansk for creating an  ebuild for this !

However, I seem to run in some problems while emerging the 'live' ebuild, i.e  =mediabrowser-server-9999 

( with the patching phase):

HomeServer src # emerge --ask mediabrowser-server

* IMPORTANT: 18 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news to read news items.

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild  N    *] media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999

Would you like to merge these packages? [Yes/No] y
>>> Verifying ebuild manifests
>>> Emerging (1 of 1) media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999::megacoffee
>>> Failed to emerge media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999, Log file:
>>>  '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/temp/build.log'
>>> Jobs: 0 of 1 complete, 1 failed                 Load avg: 0.13, 0.09, 0.13
 * Package:    media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999
 * Repository: megacoffee
 * USE:        abi_x86_64 amd64 elibc_glibc kernel_linux userland_GNU
 * FEATURES:   preserve-libs sandbox userpriv usersandbox
 * creating user for MediaBrowser
>>> Unpacking source...
 * Fetching https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/ ...
git fetch https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/ +HEAD:refs/git-r3/HEAD
git symbolic-ref refs/git-r3/media-tv/mediabrowser-server/0/__main__ refs/heads/master
 * Checking out https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/ to /var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/work/mediabrowser-server-9999 ...
git checkout --quiet master
GIT update -->
   repository:               https://github.com/MediaBrowser/MediaBrowser/
   at the commit:            1616e34add4059a2749489e9227f5b33dd263433
>>> Source unpacked in /var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/work
>>> Preparing source in /var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/work/mediabrowser-server-9999 ...
 * Applying system_libraries_2.patch ...

* Failed Patch: system_libraries_2.patch !
 *  ( /var/lib/layman/megacoffee/media-tv/mediabrowser-server/files/system_libraries_2.patch )
 * Include in your bugreport the contents of:
 *   /var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/temp/system_libraries_2.patch.out

* ERROR: media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999::megacoffee failed (prepare phase):
 *   Failed Patch: system_libraries_2.patch!
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line   93:  Called src_prepare
 *   environment, line 2801:  Called epatch '/var/lib/layman/megacoffee/media-tv/mediabrowser-server/files/system_libraries_2.patch'
 *   environment, line 1198:  Called die
 * The specific snippet of code:
 *               die "Failed Patch: ${patchname}!";
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999::megacoffee'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999::megacoffee'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/work/mediabrowser-server-9999'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/work/mediabrowser-server-9999'

* Messages for package media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999:

* Failed Patch: system_libraries_2.patch !
 *  ( /var/lib/layman/megacoffee/media-tv/mediabrowser-server/files/system_libraries_2.patch )
 * Include in your bugreport the contents of:
 *   /var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/temp/system_libraries_2.patch.out
 * ERROR: media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999::megacoffee failed (prepare phase):
 *   Failed Patch: system_libraries_2.patch!
 * Call stack:
 *     ebuild.sh, line   93:  Called src_prepare
 *   environment, line 2801:  Called epatch '/var/lib/layman/megacoffee/media-tv/mediabrowser-server/files/system_libraries_2.patch'
 *   environment, line 1198:  Called die
 *               die "Failed Patch: ${patchname}!";
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999::megacoffee'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999::megacoffee'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/temp/environment'.
 * Working directory: '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/work/mediabrowser-server-9999'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999/work/mediabrowser-server-9999'
HomeServer src #

Any idea what I am missing ?

Thanks for any advise,

Alex.

Edited by _Alex_

And for completeness:

HomeServer src # emerge --info '=media-tv/mediabrowser-server-9999::megacoffee'
Portage 2.2.14 (python 2.7.7-final-0, default/linux/amd64/13.0, gcc-4.7.3, glibc-2.19-r1, 3.16.1-gentoo x86_64)
=================================================================
                         System Settings
=================================================================
System uname: Linux-3.16.1-gentoo-x86_64-AMD_A6-3500_APU_with_Radeon-tm-_HD_Graphics-with-gentoo-2.2
KiB Mem:     3518412 total,     93132 free
KiB Swap:    6039548 total,   6029496 free
Timestamp of tree: Sat, 13 Dec 2014 09:45:01 +0000
ld GNU ld (Gentoo 2.24 p1.4) 2.24
distcc 3.1 x86_64-pc-linux-gnu [disabled]
ccache version 3.1.9 [disabled]
app-shells/bash:          4.2_p53
dev-lang/perl:            5.18.2-r2
dev-lang/python:          2.7.7, 3.2.5-r6, 3.3.5-r1, 3.4.1
dev-util/ccache:          3.1.9-r3
dev-util/cmake:           2.8.12.2-r1
dev-util/pkgconfig:       0.28-r1
sys-apps/baselayout:      2.2
sys-apps/openrc:          0.12.4
sys-apps/sandbox:         2.6-r1
sys-devel/autoconf:       2.69
sys-devel/automake:       1.11.6, 1.13.4
sys-devel/binutils:       2.24-r3
sys-devel/gcc:            4.7.3-r1, 4.8.3
sys-devel/gcc-config:     1.7.3
sys-devel/libtool:        2.4.2-r1
sys-devel/make:           4.0-r1
sys-kernel/linux-headers: 3.17-r1 (virtual/os-headers)
sys-libs/glibc:           2.19-r1
Repositories: gentoo megacoffee sunrise fouxlay
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="amd64"
ACCEPT_LICENSE="* -@EULA"
CBUILD="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-O2 -march=amdfam10 -mcx16 -mpopcnt -pipe"
CHOST="x86_64-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/share/gnupg/qualified.txt"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/ca-certificates.conf /etc/env.d /etc/fonts/fonts.conf /etc/gconf /etc/gentoo-release /etc/php/apache2-php5.5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cgi-php5.5/ext-active/ /etc/php/cli-php5.5/ext-active/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/sandbox.d /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-O2 -march=amdfam10 -mcx16 -mpopcnt -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build"
FCFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
FEATURES="assume-digests binpkg-logs config-protect-if-modified distlocks ebuild-locks fixlafiles merge-sync news parallel-fetch preserve-libs protect-owned sandbox sfperms strict unknown-features-warn unmerge-logs unmerge-orphans userfetch userpriv usersandbox usersync"
FFLAGS="-O2 -pipe"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo"
LDFLAGS="-Wl,-O1 -Wl,--as-needed"
MAKEOPTS="-j2"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_CONFIGROOT="/"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --omit-dir-times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --stats --human-readable --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/var/lib/layman/megacoffee /var/lib/layman/sunrise /var/lib/layman/fouxlay"
SYNC="rsync://rsync2.nl.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="acl acpi alsa amd64 apache2 berkdb bzip2 cli cracklib crypt cxx dri eudev fortran gdbm iconv jpeg lock mmx mmxext modules multilib ncurses nls nptl opencl openmp pam pcre php python readline session sqlite sse sse2 sse3 sse4a ssl startup-notification static-libs tcpd unicode vaapi winbind zlib" ABI_X86="64" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" APACHE2_MODULES="authn_core authz_core socache_shmcb unixd actions alias auth_basic authn_alias authn_anon authn_dbm authn_default authn_file authz_dbm authz_default authz_groupfile authz_host authz_owner authz_user autoindex cache cgi cgid dav dav_fs dav_lock deflate dir disk_cache env expires ext_filter file_cache filter headers include info log_config logio mem_cache mime mime_magic negotiation rewrite setenvif speling status unique_id userdir usertrack vhost_alias" CALLIGRA_FEATURES="kexi words flow plan sheets stage tables krita karbon braindump author" CAMERAS="ptp2" COLLECTD_PLUGINS="df interface irq load memory rrdtool swap syslog" DVB_CARDS="usb-dib0700" ELIBC="glibc" GPSD_PROTOCOLS="ashtech aivdm earthmate evermore fv18 garmin garmintxt gpsclock itrax mtk3301 nmea ntrip navcom oceanserver oldstyle oncore rtcm104v2 rtcm104v3 sirf superstar2 timing tsip tripmate tnt ublox ubx" INPUT_DEVICES="evdev synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LIBREOFFICE_EXTENSIONS="presenter-console presenter-minimizer" OFFICE_IMPLEMENTATION="libreoffice" PHP_TARGETS="php5-5" PYTHON_SINGLE_TARGET="python2_7" PYTHON_TARGETS="python2_7 python3_3" RUBY_TARGETS="ruby19 ruby20" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fbdev glint intel mach64 mga nouveau nv r128 radeon savage sis tdfx trident vesa via vmware dummy v4l" XTABLES_ADDONS="quota2 psd pknock lscan length2 ipv4options ipset ipp2p iface geoip fuzzy condition tee tarpit sysrq steal rawnat logmark ipmark dhcpmac delude chaos account"
Unset:  CPPFLAGS, CTARGET, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, PORTAGE_BUNZIP2_COMMAND, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, USE_PYTHON

HomeServer src #

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

All ebuilds (including the dev ebuilds) have been updated and completed up to the current release.

I plan to provide updated ebuilds within a small amount of time from official releases so you should be covered.

For the dev (9999) ebuild: there will from time to time be problems with building it. As it builds the current in development snapshot this is to be expected.

If you plan to actually use mediabrowser and not just play around with it please refrain from using that ebuild!

• 2 weeks later...
gsnerf

Sorry, haven't seen that reply until now.

I'll have a look, but I have no method of testing, as I have no systemd based gentoo system available at the moment.

Just for clarification: what kind of systemd support are you talking about? Init? Logging? Some other part of that monster systemd is becomming?

• 2 weeks later...
y2kbadbug

Sorry, haven't seen that reply until now.

I'll have a look, but I have no method of testing, as I have no systemd based gentoo system available at the moment.

Just for clarification: what kind of systemd support are you talking about? Init? Logging? Some other part of that monster systemd is becomming?

You don't have the init scripts, which basically makes it difficult to start automatically.

I created these in the meantime and it works just fine for me:

daniel@daniel-gentoo ~ $ cat /etc/systemd/system/emby-server.service
[Unit]
Description=Emby Server is a home media server built using other popular open source technologies.

[Service]
EnvironmentFile=/etc/conf.d/emby-server.conf
WorkingDirectory=/var/lib/emby-server
ExecStart=/usr/bin/emby-server
User=emby
Group=emby
Restart=on-failure

[Unit]
After=network.target

[Install]
WantedBy=multi-user.target

daniel@daniel-gentoo ~ $ cat /etc/conf.d/emby-server.conf
MONO_EXECUTABLE=/usr/bin/mono
PROGRAM_DATA=/var/lib/emby-server
FFMPEG=/usr/bin/ffmpeg
FFPROBE=/usr/bin/ffprobe
daniel@daniel-gentoo ~ $ cat /usr/bin/emby-server
#!/bin/sh
$MONO_EXECUTABLE /opt/emby-server/MediaBrowser.Server.Mono.exe -programdata $PROGRAM_DATA -ffmpeg $FFMPEG -ffprobe $FFPROBE

Hopefully that helps.

EDIT: I updated the above info for Emby.  However, I myself have been having a hell of a time with this.  So it may or may not work now.  Let me know if I am missing anything.

Edited by y2kbadbug

• 2 weeks later...
gsnerf

Updated first post with information regarding the current stable version and the renamed package. Be sure to switch to the new package as late as the next stable release!

_Alex_

Hi gsnerf,

Thanks for updating the ebuild ! I just migrated from the 'old' ebuild to 'emby'.

One thing is that after installing emby would crash due to missing libs.

( I am not sure why, it seemed to work in the old situation with a slightly older version, so apperently the newer version of emby needs other libs? )

This was resolved by:

- Adding mp3 and x265 as useflags to ffmpeg

- adding q8 as useflag to imagemagick.

Depending on why those are needed you might want to add them to the ebuild as dependencies.

Now everything works :-)

Alex.

Edited by _Alex_

gsnerf

Hi Alex,

yes the q8 problem is a bug in the current ebuild, it will be refreshed soon. Adding the q8 useflag is encouraged (speeds up image conversion), but not a necessity.

The codecs for ffmpeg depend on what media you are trying to use with emby. I deliberately didn't force any specific formats as long as emby itself doesn't need them, to avoid cluttering systems with codecs and other libraries that are not necessary. I will update the instructions to reflect those kind of pre-install changes though.

Thanks for the feedback! :)

Edited by gsnerf

gsnerf

Q8 problem fixed, and updated first post with suggested use flag definitions. Have fun everyone! :)

As a heads up: in a future revision the default programData folder will move to /var/lib/!

Edit: revision 2 of the current release is up containing the folder move!

Edited by gsnerf

NP-Hardass

Hello!

I emailed you earlier, but probably worth making the inquiry public in case anyone else has the same issues:

I emerged media-tv/emby-server-3.0.5572.0-r2::megacoffee  and then ran /etc/init.d/emby-server start   but then no trace of mono or emby in ps -aux.  
I then attempted to run the server manually, which died: https://bpaste.net/show/614f2d48f949

Also, just curious, from  packaging perspecting, everything in /opt/emby-server is compiled, right? not unpacked binaries? Because std gentoo pkging is /opt is binary packages only.

Additionally,  upon inspecting the exe, it says its a win32, and I'm on a no-multilib machine.  I wonder if that's the issue.  I'll tinker with a multilib machine and get back to you

thefirstofthe300

Hello!

I emailed you earlier, but probably worth making the inquiry public in case anyone else has the same issues:

I emerged media-tv/emby-server-3.0.5572.0-r2::megacoffee  and then ran /etc/init.d/emby-server start   but then no trace of mono or emby in ps -aux.  
I then attempted to run the server manually, which died: https://bpaste.net/show/614f2d48f949

Also, just curious, from  packaging perspecting, everything in /opt/emby-server is compiled, right? not unpacked binaries? Because std gentoo pkging is /opt is binary packages only.

Additionally,  upon inspecting the exe, it says its a win32, and I'm on a no-multilib machine.  I wonder if that's the issue.  I'll tinker with a multilib machine and get back to you

It is complaining that you don't have sqlite3 installed on your system.

NP-Hardass

It is complaining that you don't have sqlite3 installed on your system.

Ah!  That'll teach me not to read my error message closely.   We should probably put sqlite3 in the RDEPEND then

gsnerf

Hi,

actually the sqlite lib is bundled, so adding a dependency shouldn't be necessary. I'll try to determine the problem with the upcomming release (will be ready at some point in the weekend). Maybe I'll kick the bundled version and use the system one instead anyways.

• 11 months later...
gsnerf

A quick shout to all gentoo users still using the old media-tv/mediabrowser-server package:

I will finally remove the outdated package soon and have already cleared all but the latest ebuild. Please make your move to media-tv/emby-server now and migrate all your data as advised in the install message.

After removing the old package all together I will also do a little cleanup on the new ebuilds, so some files may move around a bit.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have fonund this prg now, and want to try but fail at the beginning:

emerge emby-server

* IMPORTANT: 2 news items need reading for repository 'gentoo'.
 * Use eselect news read to view new items.

Calculating dependencies... done!

>>> Verifying ebuild manifests

>>> Emerging (1 of 1) media-tv/emby-server-3.0.7100::megacoffee
 * 3.0.7100.tar.gz SHA256 SHA512 WHIRLPOOL size ;-) ...                                                                         [ ok ]
 * creating user for Emby
 * Adding user 'emby' to your system ...
 *  - Userid: 137
 *  - Shell: /bin/bash
 *  - Home: /opt/emby-server
 *  - Groups: emby
 * ERROR: media-tv/emby-server-3.0.7100::megacoffee failed (setup phase):
 *   extra arguments no longer supported; please file a bug
 * Call stack:
 *                     ebuild.sh, line 133:  Called pkg_setup
 *   emby-server-3.0.7100.ebuild, line  36:  Called enewuser 'emby' '-1' '/bin/bash' '/opt/emby-server' 'emby' '--system'
 *                   user.eclass, line 212:  Called die
 *              die "extra arguments no longer supported; please file a bug"
 * If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-tv/emby-server-3.0.7100::megacoffee'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-tv/emby-server-3.0.7100::megacoffee'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/emby-server-3.0.7100/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/emby-server-3.0.7100/temp/die.env'.
 * Working directory: '/usr/lib64/python3.4/site-packages'
 * S: '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/emby-server-3.0.7100/work/emby-server-3.0.7100'

Hi I'm not sure why this is happening for you yet. Could you please provide the info referenced here:

If you need support, post the output of `emerge --info '=media-tv/emby-server-3.0.7100::megacoffee'`,
 * the complete build log and the output of `emerge -pqv '=media-tv/emby-server-3.0.7100::megacoffee'`.
 * The complete build log is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/emby-server-3.0.7100/temp/build.log'.
 * The ebuild environment file is located at '/var/tmp/portage/media-tv/emby-server-3.0.7100/temp/die.env'.

That should help pinpoint the problem.

Edited by gsnerf

Alright, I figured out the problem and pushed a fix. Please update your overlay and try again. Thanks for the report and let me know if you have other issues!

• 7 months later...
ebnerjoh

Hi,

I have troubles with updating Emby on my Gentoo Server.

I installed emby by adding megacoffee to layman. Then I was able to install emby 3.2.8

Now I saw that already 3.2.13 should be available on the overlay. But although I am running layman -S I am not able to see a newer version...

Br,

Johannes

EDIT:

Solved now: I had to add it to "package.accept-keywords".

Edited by ebnerjoh