Apple TV Emby Client and the Emby Team

kbijvank

kbijvank

Hello,

I would like to address an issue in regard to the Emby Team and communicating about the Apple TV client. 

It is a client that in your portfolio but yet it's being forgotten, the release notes are not up to date. If there is a new version available there is no update on the forum anymore. Development is also an issue it seems, please don't treat a product in your own portfolio as a forgotten child. 

As stated by Emby developers, they want all Clients more or less the same, but yet some features are not being pushed to the Apple TV.

All i'm trying to say is, treat all of your clients like they are the same, doesn't matter the amount of active users. Keep your buying customers happy it's the whole reason Emby as a company exist 🙂 

<rant/>

Besides this issue i'm an avid fan of Emby and their products!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

cnwinger

Totally agree.  This is disappointing.  I mean, I paid for this. I love the app in general, which is why I paid. But there are free apps that do stuff that we've been waiting for for literally years.

5 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, stay tuned for some nice new updates to the apple tv video player coming soon.

What we really need is a prioritization of open items, and a ballpark ETA on stuff that's being ignored.  Here's 4 different things that I've been coming back once a month to check on. It would be great if I could some sort of idea when they would happen other than "it's coming".

Waiting over 4 years for this one!

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58905-apple-tv-browsing-collection-using-a-z-scroll/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/107813-skip-forwardback-interval-with-appletv/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/93579-feature-request-addremove-movies-from-playlists-download-subtitles-watch-trailers/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/71987-subtitles-folder/

These aren't outlandish requests.  This is stuff that the other apps all already do.

Edited by cnwinger

2 minutes ago, cnwinger said:

Totally agree.  This is disappointing.  I mean, I paid for this. I love the app in general, which is why I paid. But there are free apps that do stuff that we've been waiting for for literally years.

What we really need is a prioritization of open items, and a ballpark ETA on stuff that's being ignored.  Here's 4 different things that I've been coming back once a month to check on. It would be great if I could some sort of idea when they would happen other than "it's coming".

Waiting over 4 years for this one!

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/58905-apple-tv-browsing-collection-using-a-z-scroll/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/107813-skip-forwardback-interval-with-appletv/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/93579-feature-request-addremove-movies-from-playlists-download-subtitles-watch-trailers/

https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/71987-subtitles-folder/

These aren't outlandish requests.  This is stuff that the other apps all already do.

Not all of those are specific to apple tv.

But anyway, we are currently working on unifying the video player with the iOS app which is going to mean better playback, pip support for iOS, and finally a unified OSD for apple tv. So that's going to be a big improvement.

• Like 2

cnwinger
19 minutes ago, Luke said:

But anyway, we are currently working on unifying the video player with the iOS app which is going to mean better playback, pip support for iOS, and finally a unified OSD for apple tv. So that's going to be a big improvement.

When's the new version planned to release?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

kbijvank

@LukeIs there a plan for Skip Intro as well or is it already implemented? Because of the outdated release notes we don't  know the current features for Emby for Apple TV.

@ebrIs it possible for you to update the release notes, once there are updates available? Also bring them up to date? 1.5.2 is the latest note, if i'm not mistaken we are at version 1.6.3. We seem to be missing quite a bit.

Again, not here to complain, but to help and see where support and communication can improve.

Edited by kbijvank
  • Like 3

unisoft
13 hours ago, Luke said:

I hope you wont wreck the nice GUI of the Apple Emby app on the home screen by using the converged version?

It's the only Emby App with Vertical view, that gets the image proportions correct (i.e. the library tiles are not made small, and get the focus of the eye as the most important thing on the home screen). The Android TV Emby app looks bland and amateur in contrast where you have made the emby logo smaller and the library tiles and DVD cover art, all too flat and bland.

Edited by unisoft

4 hours ago, unisoft said:

I hope you wont wreck the nice GUI of the Apple Emby app on the home screen by using the converged version?

It's the only Emby App with Vertical view, that gets the image proportions correct (i.e. the library tiles are not made small, and get the focus of the eye as the most important thing on the home screen). The Android TV Emby app looks bland and amateur in contrast where you have made the emby logo smaller and the library tiles and DVD cover art, all too flat and bland.

We're talking about the video player here.

• Thanks 1

kbijvank

Allright, a little reminder:

@LukeIs there a plan for Skip Intro as well or is it already implemented? Because of the outdated release notes we don't  know the current features for Emby for Apple TV. And when is the ETA to have Apple TV on par with all the other apps?

@ebrIs it possible for you to update the release notes, once there are updates available? Also bring them up to date? 1.5.2 is the latest note, if i'm not mistaken we are at version 1.6.3. We seem to be missing quite a bit.

Again, not here to complain, but to help and see where support and communication can improve.

unisoft

SKIP INTRO is in both the Android TV and Android standard app and I think ROKU, but not in the LG app yet or Apple TV app.

Standard Android app also supports Vantage Point Cinema/TV Intros as well whereas Android TV App doesn't (at least on Amazon Fire Stick 4K Max)

Edited by unisoft
  • Like 1

jasonmcroy

Completely agree. I moved over to Apple TVs in the house for a better experience with Channels DVR and Spectrum TV and the unified apps aspect it offers. 

Up to that time I had used Android devices and loved Emby. Now I've had to move to something different to get the experience I want with my media. I keep coming back to the forum to see if anything has updated but it's been over 4 months now with nothing much. Only the line we're given - coming soon... I really hate that line. No intro skip after all the hype about it in the last server release, can't even skip forward using the native player, etc.

I signed up for the Beta hoping for something but only changes on the iPhone so far. I don't watch stuff on my phone so that doesn't help at all. 

Anyway, hoping for something, someday unless I just keep using what I am using now.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

all4dom

@jasonmcroyI also uae channels dvr, have spectrum streaming essentials plua emby & am thinking of replacing my living room roku with an apple tv hoping the whole viewing, media experience will be better. I can't use channels on roku & the emby roku app is buggy & un informative. So is it worth it to move to the Apple tv or just wait? Reason why I haven't replaced with a shield is because spectrum app only works on Apple tv & roku. 

• Like 1

jasonmcroy

@all4dom - It depends on how much you need the Emby App for viewing. My personal experience is that I decided to try the Apple TV device specifically because the Devs over at Channels are more familiar with and work more on the Apple TV App and I wanted to try the experience to see if it was better. I was planning on returning it if I didn't like it. 

I feel in love with it. It is the device that Spectrum now promotes as the box to use with their cable service with their app. I have actually started trying the Spectrum Cloud DVR service with the Spectrum Choice package. I decided to do this because there are a couple of networks that don't have TVE and I can't get on Channels but do get on Spectrum. For my use case it works greats except the automatic skip option that Channels offers. I can live without that. 

The other thing that the Apple TV brings is that you can sign into your Spectrum account and associate it with the Apple TV and it will integrate with the Apple TV App and you can access all your content from within that one app (this also works for all the other streaming apps like Disney +, HBO Max, Prime Video, Peacock Plus, etc. if you have any of those apps).

I may end up even dropping the Channels DVR app in favor of the Spectrum app but I haven't fully decided yet.

As far as playback of local content like any ripped movies or TV Shows, the Emby App plays fine for me using one of the video players you can select in the app but not so much in the other one. You can't skip forward in one of them and intro skip doesn't work in either one. Intro skip not working wouldn't be such a big deal except you can't skip forward at all so that sucks. Give me one or the other. So, I have been using another playback method for that content until either Emby makes it usable or I decide to just keep what I have.

That's been my experience anyway.

jasonmcroy

Oh, I also meant to mention that I used the Shield TV device for a few years but love the Apple TV device much better overall.

• Like 1

jasonmcroy
1 hour ago, all4dom said:

The only thing with the shield is the spectrum app doesn't work or is not optimized for tv.

Exactly. It was one of the bright points that drew me to the Apple TV

all4dom

Well I have the first apple tv downstairs so I may just buy a new one to try out for the living room. If anything I'll use it to replace the old apple tv. 

kbijvank

Allright! I know you don't do ETA's so i won't be asking for it but nice to see that some changes are going to be made! 

@Luke Can you see to it that you and your team don't treat Apple TV as a lost child anymore? That release notes are getting updated and also that you give some more attention to Apple TV in terms of compatibility and development (I know that there are limitations).

Thanks so much!

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, kbijvank said:

Allright! I know you don't do ETA's so i won't be asking for it but nice to see that some changes are going to be made! 

@Luke Can you see to it that you and your team don't treat Apple TV as a lost child anymore? That release notes are getting updated and also that you give some more attention to Apple TV in terms of compatibility and development (I know that there are limitations).

Thanks so much!

When this is done nearly everything playback related will be unified with the iOS app which means it will be able to get new updates without delay.

unisoft
42 minutes ago, all4dom said:

I wish the roku app would get this much love also.

I used the Roku app for a while. Honestly, it had more updates than Apple TV app did. Apple TV was like an alpha release for years. Hopefully the Android and Android TV apps coming together and iOS and Apple TV may mean faster updates in the future.