100% GPU Usage

ng4ever

ng4ever

Is this normal for Hardware Transcoding/hardware acceleration (unless they are not both the same thing) to use on my video card ? Just making sure.

Curious question too could I game at the same time or highly unlikely ? I doubt both would go on at the same time but curious.

I know this system is like 10 to 25 times faster than a NAS but that because it uses so much more energy and such. Plus meant more for gaming. It is my pc gaming computer after all. Mainly using it just for me because I can have HDR tonemapping enabled not that it is really necessary but nice to have if I ever need it.

P.S. opps forgot the screenshot sorry.

Also I know it is stupid to do this with 4k files but I prefer only have one quality copy of all my media instead of having to keep 2 different quality copies of everything. Plus it is better I know to play 4k files directly of course if possible.

1915212163_isthisnormal.thumb.jpg.abe74afb8277a6803388b1bad2f3a0eb.jpg

Edited by ng4ever

Q-Droid

It's normal. Twelve seconds into playback? Yeah, it will go full speed until it fills the playback buffer then slow down if you have throttling enabled. After that usage will spike at fairly regular intervals for a few seconds to top off the buffer. If you don't have throttling enabled it will go at full speed (~200ish fps) until it's done transcoding and "buffering" the whole movie. Throttling enabled is more efficient for this.

It will not hurt your GPU. You would have to test with gaming. I don't know how well this resource would be shared between multiple applications.

pwhodges

Heavy usage of electronics can't hurt it unless it causes overheating because the cooling is inadequate - even then most systems just slow down rather than break these days.

Paul

rbjtech
7 hours ago, ng4ever said:

Is this normal for Hardware Transcoding/hardware acceleration (unless they are not both the same thing) to use on my video card ? Just making sure.

Curious question too could I game at the same time or highly unlikely ? I doubt both would go on at the same time but curious.

I know this system is like 10 to 25 times faster than a NAS but that because it uses so much more energy and such. Plus meant more for gaming. It is my pc gaming computer after all. Mainly using it just for me because I can have HDR tonemapping enabled not that it is really necessary but nice to have if I ever need it.

P.S. opps forgot the screenshot sorry.

Also I know it is stupid to do this with 4k files but I prefer only have one quality copy of all my media instead of having to keep 2 different quality copies of everything. Plus it is better I know to play 4k files directly of course if possible.

1915212163_isthisnormal.thumb.jpg.abe74afb8277a6803388b1bad2f3a0eb.jpg

Use the UHD770 iGPU in your 12700K - it will highly likely outperform the Nvidia Card at a fraction of the power !

Just tested a 4K remux @ 80mbit/sec to 4Mbit (scaled to 1080p) - the 12700K iGPU does it at ~290fps - so yes, faster than the above Nvidia card ..

Not sure why you're not seeing it as GPU1 in your Task Manager.

Have you turned it off in the BIOS ?

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

ng4ever
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Use the UHD770 iGPU in your 12700K - it will highly likely outperform the Nvidia Card at a fraction of the power !

Just tested a 4K remux @ 80mbit/sec to 4Mbit (scaled to 1080p) - the 12700K iGPU does it at ~290fps - so yes, faster than the above Nvidia card ..

Not sure why you're not seeing it as GPU1 in your Task Manager.

Have you turned it off in the BIOS ?

You can use both your onboard graphics and dedicated video card at the same time ? How if so ?

rbjtech
19 minutes ago, ng4ever said:

You can use both your onboard graphics and dedicated video card at the same time ? How if so ?

yes - I don't have multiple GPU's in my emby server (I don't need to) so I can't show you that but I do in my 6700K workstation.

image.png.b84bf3fbb3cdaac2a899d9ac30100c71.png

Both appear in emby ...  then set your GPU priority. (QuickSync should go top if you plan on using the UHD770)

EXAMPLE below - I don't use my workstation as an emby server - so ignore the settings .. ;)

image.png.84c3b0e430b3fed341adeb762c78dbfa.png

In the BIOS of the computer - make sure you have the iGPU enabled - as it's probably set to something like 'use PCIe' if available or something like that.  You need to change it to say use both.

Edited by rbjtech

ng4ever
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

yes - I don't have multiple GPU's in my emby server (I don't need to) so I can't show you that but I do in my 6700K workstation.

image.png.b84bf3fbb3cdaac2a899d9ac30100c71.png

Both appear in emby ...  then set your GPU priority. (QuickSync should go top if you plan on using the UHD770)

image.png.84c3b0e430b3fed341adeb762c78dbfa.png

In the BIOS of the computer - make sure you have the iGPU enabled - as it's probably set to something like 'use PCIe' if available or something like that.  You need to change it to say use both.

Ok cool. Will try soon.

Hopefully it does not mess up my PC lol.

rbjtech
Just now, ng4ever said:

Ok cool. Will try soon.

Hopefully it does not mess up my PC lol.

Take a quick photo of the BIOS settings before you change them .. ;)

rbjtech
6 minutes ago, ng4ever said:

Sorry one last question will it really be that much better than my Geforce RTX 2060 super ?

imo - Yes.

Depending on the amount of main memory you have - it will also allow many more 4K Transcodes as it will not be restricted by the memory on the GPU Card.

I believe an RTX 2060 Super has 8Gb - so you are probably limited to 7 transcodes.

the iGPU (UHD770) will use (up to) half your main memory - so if you only have 16Gb - then it will also have 8 - so 7 transcodes.

But if you have 32Gb - then you can use 16Gb of VRAM.

I max out at ~9-10 4K > 1080p/8Mbit with ToneMapping remux simultaneous (non throttled) transcodes using the UHD770 - if throttled, then depending on start/stop times - then ~12-14 

It's pretty amazing what the UHD770 can do ...

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1

Q-Droid
1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

Use the UHD770 iGPU in your 12700K - it will highly likely outperform the Nvidia Card at a fraction of the power

Good catch. 

ng4ever
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

imo - Yes.

Depending on the amount of main memory you have - it will also allow many more 4K Transcodes as it will not be restricted by the memory on the GPU Card.

I believe an RTX 2060 Super has 8Gb - so you are probably limited to 7 transcodes.

the iGPU (UHD770) will use (up to) half your main memory - so if you only have 16Gb - then it will also have 8 - so 7 transcodes.

But if you have 32Gb - then you can use 16Gb of VRAM.

I max out at ~9-10 4K > 1080p/8Mbit with ToneMapping remux simultaneous (non throttled) transcodes using the UHD770 - if throttled, then depending on start/stop times - then ~12-14 

It's pretty amazing what the UHD770 can do ...

Maximum I will ever have is 1 transcode maybe 2 but very very doubtful.

Is it still worth it ?

rbjtech
Just now, ng4ever said:

Maximum I will ever have is 1 transcode maybe 2 but very very doubtful.

Is it still worth it ?

For the power savings alone - I would say yes.

I'm sure this will cause a riot lol - but on a RTX 2060, the quality of the h264 NVENC (encoder) is also questionable vs the latest UHD770 - so there is that advantage as well.

ng4ever
Just now, rbjtech said:

For the power savings alone - I would say yes.

I'm sure this will cause a riot lol - but on a RTX 2060, the quality of the h264 NVENC (encoder) is also questionable vs the latest UHD770 - so there is that advantage as well.

Ok. Thanks.

Will not cause a riot with me.

How much more power will it save ?

rbjtech
1 minute ago, ng4ever said:

Ok. Thanks.

Will not cause a riot with me.

How much more power will it save ?

Do a search - but I clocked the iGPU using about 6W of power under load - the RTX, while not at full 3D processing power requirements, will be taking substantially more than 6W .. 🤣

ng4ever

@rbjtech I think I enabled it in BIOS. I see it in task manager the second GPU and it shows in Emby Advanced settings on Transcoding setting in Emby.

Do I set it like I see in your screenshot you posted ?

Here is a image of my BIOS. I set it to enabled. bios.thumb.jpg.a7b0525cde3082db6a30c4b90e8750c1.jpg

• Like 1

rbjtech
18 minutes ago, ng4ever said:

Stupid question but will this hurt my gaming performance if I am gaming at the same time? Curious.

great - no, it will use the PCIe (RTX) by default if you set that in the BIOS.  With Auto, It will likely use whatever you have a monitor plugged into (haha).   

No it won't effect gaming performance at all,  but on game configurations, it should automatically use the RTX, it will be obvious if it is not (on a 3D gaming performance perspective, the RTX wipes the floor with the UHD770 many times over ..)

In emby - set the Intel QuickSync as the 'top' priority for all the decoders and encoders - and then maybe compare the performance of the two by swapping them around.

Some screen captures of the differences on the same video etc would be useful to the community I'm sure.

ng4ever
4 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

great - no, it will use the PCIe (RTX) by default if you set that in the BIOS.  With Auto, It will likely use whatever you have a monitor plugged into (haha).   

No it won't effect gaming performance at all,  but on game configurations, it should automatically use the RTX, it will be obvious if it is not (on a 3D gaming performance perspective, the RTX wipes the floor with the UHD770 many times over ..)

In emby - set the Intel QuickSync as the 'top' priority for all the decoders and encoders - and then maybe compare the performance of the two by swapping them around.

Some screen captures of the differences on the same video etc would be useful to the community I'm sure.

Ok.

What about the yellow circled options ?

Should it always be Intel graphics card with DX11 or the other one ?

Also why does VP8 only use my nvidia video card instead ?

1961078899_Transcodingpic1.thumb.jpg.7e7e5b7b08ac090cb222dbc4d0b3b889.jpg497035230_Transcodingpic2.thumb.jpg.eda5d9be931cc086fb08a47e84c10486.jpg

rbjtech

That all looks good.  VP8 is an old codec, don't worry about it.

Set the 'Throttle' to yes - enable throttling

and ideally set your transcoding temp path to an NVME drive (or SSD if you don't have an NVME)

Then you are all set - enjoy your new hidden but powerful iGPU !

• Thanks 1

ng4ever
5 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

That all looks good.  VP8 is an old codec, don't worry about it.

Set the 'Throttle' to yes - enable throttling

and ideally set your transcoding temp path to an NVME drive (or SSD if you don't have an NVME)

Then you are all set - enjoy your new hidden but powerful iGPU !

Awesome thanks.

Pretty cool.

rbjtech

Not sure on the playback error - I'm not an iOS user - provide the ffmpeg logs and raise in a new topic if I were you.

The 189 fps - is that using the QuickSync/UHD 770 ?

How does that compare to the RTX using the same file ?

ng4ever
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

Not sure on the playback error - I'm not an iOS user - provide the ffmpeg logs and raise in a new topic if I were you.

The 189 fps - is that using the QuickSync/UHD 770 ?

How does that compare to the RTX using the same file ?

It should be. Can I delete the RTX from advanced setting on Transcoding to be sure or bad idea ?