Metadata and folder/file naming problem

dieffe70

dieffe70

Hi all, I've guess a problem of metadata coerence between different countries.

The TV serie in Italy is released in two season. One 109 episode an the second 42.
In USA and for Tvdb for example you have six season instead or TMDB have two season but you have season one part 1, 2 ertc...
The problem is file naming and folder because my file are named with  titlename.episode number (xxx.054.mkv) and they are not recognized corectly..
Basically episode 023 it's for  TVDB: season 2 episode 1 and for TMDB season 1 part 2 episode 1, and in Itali is season episode 23

FOlder structure is

SERIE NAME
-- Season 1
----videofile-.mkv
-- Season2
----videofile.mkv

Is there a way to make Emby recognize my naming or I've to rename more than a hundred of files?

thanks

Happy2Play

Only applies to TVDB but that is why there is Display Order (Aired, DVD, Absolute) as Absolute is your naming scheme ie episodes 1-1000 with no season.

Same as this topic correct?

But this example is an issue as videofile would mean absolutely nothing and never get identified.

FOlder structure is

SERIE NAME
-- Season 1
----videofile-.mkv
-- Season2
----videofile.mkv

dieffe70

My bad I was not clear enough. Structure is like
-Serie name
-- Season 1

----seriename.001.mkv
-- Season2
----seriename.035.mkv

Absolute ordering allow correct episode recognition thanks but serie display has still some problem.
- Season 1 actually list all the episode, not only the ones in his folder
- I need to create folder for each season because otherwise Emby don't  autobuild up season as always but keep all in one season

pwhodges
1 hour ago, dieffe70 said:

- I need to create folder for each season because otherwise Emby don't  autobuild up season as always but keep all in one season

Having a folder per season is preferred, but if not, at least the filenames should specify the season (e.g. s01e01), else how would Emby know?

Personally I (mainly) use both season folders and names with the season included - belt and braces, you might say.  It may be (if you want to get back away from absolute order, which implies a single season) that three digit episode numbers require to be combined with a season number as above - I may be wrong, that's just an inkling.

Paul

dieffe70

thanks for answer
naming with: seriename.023.mkv it's correctly recognized but I've the same episode in season 1 and 2.
naming with S02 023 give me episode 23 of season 2 that is another one (like 055 as absolute)

so it seems that I need to rename all because absolute order apparently will atay in single season and I can't force any other option

• Thanks 1

pwhodges

You don't have to use absolute order if the episodes are correctly numbered in a sequence that matches the Broadcast or DVD orders in TVDB (ie. starting at 1 in each season). 

But to separate the seasons reliably you do have to follow the naming conventions - you wrote "S02 023", but you should have had "s02e023" or one of the other conventions recognised by Emby.

Renaming lots of episodes can be done quickly using Bulk Rename Utility, for instance.

Paul

Happy2Play

@pwhodges Think that is the issue as the generic example is mixing methods.

Serie name
-- Season 1

----seriename.001.mkv
-- Season2
----seriename.035.mkv

So real examples are always best.  Is 35 actually S02E35?  Or absolute 35?  If absolute, all episodes shall reside in Season 1 folder.

dieffe70

My file numbering is absolute, and in Italy absolute is normally used, we have 2 season.. on TVDB there are six season.
So I wanna keep absolute but look it's impossible to mix absolute and aired.. so I'll go for renaming..
Just a question, if filename have full episode name, this can help in recognition and association?

Happy2Play
3 minutes ago, dieffe70 said:

So I wanna keep absolute but look it's impossible to mix absolute and aired.. so I'll go for renaming..

Correct you cannot mix Aired and Absolute.  It is Absolute 035 or Aired S02E01 from the example.

2 minutes ago, dieffe70 said:

Just a question, if filename have full episode name, this can help in recognition and association?

No as only as only the numbers/SxxEyy info is used.  All full episode naming helps with is if say there is a mismatch on provider site you know what your file actually is verses what provider says it is.