Synology DS218play and Emby

Chalklands

Chalklands

I'm hoping somebody can point me in the right direction.

I've been using emby on a windows 11 laptop with all of my media stored on an external usb HDD. I then use Kodi on a Nvidia Shield as the 'front end' to my TV with emby for kodi.

I've just ordered a Synology DS218play. The advice I'm looking for is how do I change the library paths from the external HDD to the NAS? Is this a simple thing to do?  Do I need to install emby server on the Synergy? Can I still run emby on my laptop with the libraries pointing to the NAS? Sorry if this sounds a tad vague, but I've never owned a NAS before.

FrostByte

Since they will be on the same network it will be fairly easy to point your Win11 laptop server libraries to the shared folders on your NAS.  Just change the location to Network and find your NAS or type the address in yourself.

The DS218play has a fairly old cpu so I don't think I would put server on it, unless you don't do any transcoding.  The DS218+ maybe.

Chalklands

Thanks for the quick response.

I just want to use the NAS as a media storage device to be honest. So as long as emby can see the media files and save any metadata/artwork to it that would be fine. Would that be fine do you think? Would I be better off cancelling the play and ordering the 218+ do you think? I just placed my order tonight.

Edited by Chalklands

FrostByte

I ran Emby server from my PC and had my media on my NAS for a short period and it was okay.  Right now my Emby server is also on the NAS.  One of the benefits of having it all on one is that you have one less device that needs to be up when using Emby.  I'm happy having it on my NAS.