53 replies to this topic

#41 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128649 posts
  • Local time: 05:03 AM

Posted 11 October 2014 - 01:48 PM

you might want to try using the Tv's OSD to see what the characteristics of the input source.

#42 A8HTPC OFFLINE  

A8HTPC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 11 October 2014 - 03:12 PM

Member on Plex Forum -

If you are forcing DirectPlay by not leaving the setting to Automatic then yes can get sound if your HDTV supports AC3 over HDMI. All HDTV's call decode AC3 as this is an audio format for OTA signals however not all support it over HDMI, guess yours does.

Edited by A8HTPC, 11 October 2014 - 03:12 PM.

#43 Deihmos OFFLINE  

Deihmos

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1091 posts
  • Local time: 04:03 AM
  • LocationNYC

Posted 11 October 2014 - 09:00 PM

Pretty much what everyone has been saying all along. Your TV can playback AC3 over HDMI. If you don't want MB3 to transcode then change the audio option from stereo. Problem is if you have any videos with DTS then you wouldn't get any sound plus transcoding audio isn't going to stress the CPU.

#44 A8HTPC OFFLINE  

A8HTPC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • 313 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 12 October 2014 - 12:05 PM

I Have to Apologize! I Screwed Up Honestly!

I had re-encoded the video a long time ago for ease of viewing over the internet, though I thought I deleted it a while ago, problem with using "hard Links" is its never really deleted till you delete all hard links to the file. Plex still picked up on it. That particular file has 2ch AAC audio and I didn't notice till I looked at the specs of the file through Plex. I just assumed it was picking up on the original movie file.

Both MB and Plex when direct playing the confirmed same movie file, both have no audio, so my TV doesn't support decoding surround, no surprise there. Both transcode.

#45 grape OFFLINE  

grape

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKennesaw, GA

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:26 PM

I have never been able to get my Roku 3 to pass-thru HD audio signals from MB Server.   It passes Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 but not DTS HD MA nor Dobly True HD.  It always downmixes to 2 channel.

Server version: Version 3.0.5395.0

I have copied an example of the transcoding log.  Server log was too big and upload skipped.  If it hinders the diagnosis let me know and I will try to restart and make a smaller server log.

If anyone can take a look and tell me what I am doing wrong I would like to know so that I can get my library in order for successful Roku3 playback with full HD audio.

Doug

Attached Files

#46 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128649 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

well you have to configure the roku for surround sound, and then you have to make sure the video bitrate falls within the app's bitrate setting. best thing to post is the media info from the web client.

#47 Deihmos OFFLINE  

Deihmos

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1091 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:57 PM

I have never been able to get my Roku 3 to pass-thru HD audio signals from MB Server.   It passes Dolby 5.1 and DTS 5.1 but not DTS HD MA nor Dobly True HD.  It always downmixes to 2 channel.

Server version: Version 3.0.5395.0

I have copied an example of the transcoding log.  Server log was too big and upload skipped.  If it hinders the diagnosis let me know and I will try to restart and make a smaller server log.

If anyone can take a look and tell me what I am doing wrong I would like to know so that I can get my library in order for successful Roku3 playback with full HD audio.

Doug

The roku cannot pass HD audio. DTS and Dolby Digital only. Look at the specification.

#48 grape OFFLINE  

grape

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKennesaw, GA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:17 PM

well you have to configure the roku for surround sound, and then you have to make sure the video bitrate falls within the app's bitrate setting. best thing to post is the media info from the web client.

Yes Roku set for Surround.  Bit rate set at highest 20Mbit.   I notice from the media info that the bit rate (for video) exceeds  this, so is the MB Server transcodiing the audio down to 2ch because of that?   I reckon the answer may be in the transcoding log that I posted earlier, but I am not skilled at reading those yet.   If it did transcode, why not down to a lower bit rate 5.1ch audio format instead of all the way down to 2ch OR just compress the video and leave the HD audio alone?   

Media Info
Video
CodecH264
ProfileHigh
Level41
Resolution1920x1080
Aspect ratio16:9
AnamorphicNo
InterlacedNo
Framerate23.97602
Bitrate29764 kbps
Bit depth8 bit
Pixel formatyuv420p
Ref frames2
Audio
Languageeng
CodecDCA
ProfileDTS-HD MA
Layout5.1
Bitrate1500 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultYes
Audio
Languageeng
CodecDCA
ProfileDTS
Layout5.1
Bitrate1500 kbps
Sample rate48000 khz
DefaultNo
Containermkv
PathH:\Movies\HD Movies\Godzilla\Godzilla_t01.mkv
Size26840 MB

#49 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128649 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:18 PM

well read the above post because this is all a moot point.

#50 grape OFFLINE  

grape

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationKennesaw, GA

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:22 PM

The roku cannot pass HD audio. DTS and Dolby Digital only. Look at the specification.

Yes aware of the spec, however the spec says nothing about passing Dolby Digital Plus, which it does, and this is an HD Audio format.   The little blue light on the Denon AVR lights up when DD+ material is played from Netflix.   There seems to be some debate on whether pass thru is pass thru.   I think Deihmos, may be onto something with the total bit rate requirement, but I really need a transcoding expert to tell me what's happening and how to store my movies for best possible playback.  If that means only DTS or DD, then so be it, but then I'd be really dissappointed in the Roku3.

#51 Luke OFFLINE  

Luke

System Architect

• Administrators
  • 128649 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:29 PM

the bitrate is one reason why it's transcoding. once it transcodes we will not be able to do hd audio passthrough anymore. the best we can do is 5 channel aac/ac3.

#52 Deihmos OFFLINE  

Deihmos

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1091 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:30 PM

The roku does dolby digital, dolby digital plus, and DTS pass through. Dolby plus is just enhanced AC3 and even used in cable TV and had a much lower bit rate than TrueHD

Truehd and DTS HD isn't going to work on the roku. They all sound the same so I don't even bother with it.

Edited by Deihmos, 23 October 2014 - 09:40 PM.

#53 thefutureme OFFLINE  

thefutureme

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:41 PM

Is it possible for Emby to transcode to DTS from DTS-HD and TrueHD, or is it better to do this offline using something like Handbrake?

#54 Deihmos OFFLINE  

Deihmos

Advanced Member

• Alpha Testers
  • 1091 posts
  • LocationNYC

Posted 12 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

DTS HD already contains the DTS core which is why it is superior to True HD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users