Multiple editions of movies to be treated as separate movies just like

Anixd

Happy2Play

@Anixd Do you know how that control watched status?  Is each version independent of each other?

But you can technically already do this, just without the linking to other versions.  As naming without automatic grouping naming scheme will give you individual editions.  

But yes understand the database would have to change to accommodate this method.

Yes sir both are totally independent, diffrent metadata, different watch timings as if it's a different movie together. 

In emby if we don't group still both resume from same time, both are marked  as watched so they don't behave independent of each other 

You can have a look at this video showing the same in Plex 

https://youtu.be/Njn7xXMWL7g

Happy2Play

Looks like a lot of work but similiar has been ask for.  I see this requiring database changes forcing entire library rebuilding though.

• Thanks 1

RaptorCentauri

I would strongly suggest that multiple editions of a movie not show up as separate items in the library, but rather a singular item from when the edition can be selected. Libraries with a large amount of multi edition movies could look very sloppy. At the very least, give the user the option to show multi-edition movies as separate or grouped items.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

sydlexius
4 hours ago, RaptorCentauri said:

I would strongly suggest that multiple editions of a movie not show up as separate items in the library, but rather a singular item from when the edition can be selected. Libraries with a large amount of multi edition movies could look very sloppy. At the very least, give the user the option to show multi-edition movies as separate or grouped items.

The challenge with this approach is tracking playback status, and displaying it in the UI.  I'd love to see some discussion about how this can be handled in a user-friendly manner.

Happy2Play

True as path cannot be used as you can never move media.  And all metadata is the same per what we have now.

sydlexius
1 minute ago, Happy2Play said:

True as path cannot be used as you can never move media.  And all metadata is the same per what we have now.

Presently, I store editions and resolutions in their own folders, so I need to fetch (and where necessary, modify) metadata for each one.  I generally don't keep multiple editions of movies around, as I generally have a preferred release for a given movie (Bladerunner is currently my only exception).  I don't have as much skin in this game as other users do, but I do support the idea that there needs to be a better way to support multiple editions.

arrbee99

It would be nice to get rid of stuff like this -

181569136_Embycontinuewatchingduplicates1.thumb.JPG.9f395b54b46a1545f92c2ad06e13d52f.JPG

- OK, they are in separate folders, but still...

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

In the end I don't see a way that can maintain this info on move or rebuild/new database.  I would guess that would a trade-off.

arrbee99

Oh well, didn't Luke make a few db changes recently ? there was something about database cleaning...and they did that whole merging Next Up / Continue Watching thing, and the orange people have just done it...

roaku
31 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

This isn't quite true, if I'm understanding what you're saying.

The Metadata UI only supports editing the 'primary' version, but the system itself already fully supports separate metadata and tagging for each item in the group.

Adding a Version field to the metadata and expanding the Metadata editor to allow for choosing between versions when editing would go a long way toward smartening up the server side for multi-versions.

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, roaku said:

This isn't quite true, if I'm understanding what you're saying.

The Metadata UI only supports editing the 'primary' version, but the system itself already fully supports separate metadata and tagging for each item in the group.

Adding a Version field to the metadata and expanding the Metadata editor to allow for choosing between versions when editing would go a long way toward smartening up the server side for multi-versions.

Yes any new way will be destructive of the current way and require all versions to be manually adjust would be my understanding with new database fields and nfo metadata nodes, along with reworking watched status tracking to accommodate versioned items separately.  But would guess I am still missing things here.

roaku
7 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

Yes any new way will be destructive of the current way and require all versions to be manually adjust would be my understanding with new database fields and nfo metadata nodes, along with reworking watched status tracking to accommodate versioned items separately.  But would guess I am still missing things here.

That's what I'm saying. This part already exists and functions. It's exposed through nfo writing and the api. Just not the metadata UI.

Edit: Sorry I think I misinterpreted what you meant here. Yes, new fields would be required.

My guess is that updating all the clients is the bigger hassle.

Edited by roaku

Yes, this becomes a very complex issue pretty quickly.  We'd like to improve this but there is already a reasonable way to handle multiple cuts using separate items and a collection.  The only drawback to this approach is that the item shows multiple times in Continue Watching - and that is only an issue if you are partially watching this item - so it is a limited impact.

If we can just eliminate the duplicates in CW, I think we'd be 95% of the way there, no?

• Thanks 1

CarlosLima

About multi-edition movies I deal with it very well. I have this movie in three versions in the same folder using the formats
Derailed (2005) - HD Original.mp4
Derailed (2005) - FHD Dublado.mp4
Derailed (2005) - FHD Original.mp4

This makes the customer select which version they want to watch and all goes well.
Only problem with this is that when clicking on the movie in Continue Watching, the customer has to reselect the version they paused, as Emby doesn't seem to know which version the customer was watching before the pause.

MultiMovie.png

• Like 1

roaku
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Yes, this becomes a very complex issue pretty quickly.  We'd like to improve this but there is already a reasonable way to handle multiple cuts using separate items and a collection.  The only drawback to this approach is that the item shows multiple times in Continue Watching - and that is only an issue if you are partially watching this item - so it is a limited impact.

If we can just eliminate the duplicates in CW, I think we'd be 95% of the way there, no?

How would this work with the auto-boxset collections? It wouldn't be able to put a multi-cut collection into the auto-collection, would it? Would we end up with multiple instances of the same movie listed in the auto collection?

This would also create a requirement for 'group item into collections' to be active to present the cuts as one item in grid/list views.

I prefer the single movie UI presentation for multi-cuts because it's a better metaphor for the reality of these cuts in most cases. It's also in line with the metadata providers. Different cuts of these movies are all the same movie. Personally, I don't need or want a completely separate item for my three versions of Kingdom of Heaven. They're all Kingdom of Heaven.

I'm getting more and more tempted to move my alternate cuts into extras. I probably would have done that in the first place if I was aware that using the multi-version feature with multi-cuts as described in the docs was not fully supported and actually not recommended by the Emby team. 🤷‍♂️

Edited by roaku
  • Agree 1

RaptorCentauri
4 hours ago, ebr said:

The method of using collections for multiple cuts has further issues. I can take multiple cuts of a movie and put them in a collection. That step is fairly easy. I can then say "group items in collections in my library view". So now I have all of my "Return of The Jedi" movies as one item in my library, if I select it I can pick the actually cut to watch.

Now...

What happens when I have other collections not related to cuts (maybe an MCU Collection, or a James Bond Collection) that I do NOT want appearing as one item in my library view. I want to see the movies individually. On the other side of the coin, what if I do not want multi-cut collections to appear in the collections library?

The collections method is a decent temporary solution to the problem. If the plan is to make that the actual solution, I think there needs to be 2 types of collections to deal with the issues I described.

• 5 months later...
BadIntelligence

I've recently migrated to Emby and couldn't be happier. If Emby could introduce "Editions" correctly it will be a real breakthrough feature and unique selling point.

In my view, the data model would be:

1. A movie can have one or more Editions
  2. An Edition can have one or more qualities
  3. One edition of the movie is set to the default
Movie           Edition       Quality
-----           -------       -------
True Romance -- Remastered     -- 4k
             |                 \- 1080p
             |
             \- Theatrical*    -- 1080p
             |                 \- 720p
             |
             \- Director's Cut -- 720p

* = default

I subscribe to the "multiple editions of a movie not show up as separate items in the library, but rather a singular item from when the edition can be selected", so the ideal functionality would be:

1. Admin picks the default edition
  2. When going into a movie, the default edition is selected
  3. You can select a different edition you want, and the normal logic kicks in for selecting the quality for that edition
  4. In "resume playing" it remembers not just the film, but the edition which was previously being played (when clicking resume it will do it's normal quality algorithm for that edition) - so the movie only appears once in the resume row and automatically resumes the same edition

From previous posts I appreciate there would be complexities changing the data structure, but I'd really favour getting this correct now - even with some short term pain - to make the right product going forward.

Aside from my comments, can I just add how brilliant this thread is and how good all the ideas floated are.

Edited by BadIntelligence
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
RaptorCentauri
On 1/29/2023 at 2:16 PM, BadIntelligence said:

I've recently migrated to Emby and couldn't be happier. If Emby could introduce "Editions" correctly it will be a real breakthrough feature and unique selling point.

In my view, the data model would be:

1. A movie can have one or more Editions
  2. An Edition can have one or more qualities
  3. One edition of the movie is set to the default
Movie           Edition       Quality
-----           -------       -------
True Romance -- Remastered     -- 4k
             |                 \- 1080p
             |
             \- Theatrical*    -- 1080p
             |                 \- 720p
             |
             \- Director's Cut -- 720p

* = default

I subscribe to the "multiple editions of a movie not show up as separate items in the library, but rather a singular item from when the edition can be selected", so the ideal functionality would be:

1. Admin picks the default edition
  2. When going into a movie, the default edition is selected
  3. You can select a different edition you want, and the normal logic kicks in for selecting the quality for that edition
  4. In "resume playing" it remembers not just the film, but the edition which was previously being played (when clicking resume it will do it's normal quality algorithm for that edition) - so the movie only appears once in the resume row and automatically resumes the same edition

From previous posts I appreciate there would be complexities changing the data structure, but I'd really favour getting this correct now - even with some short term pain - to make the right product going forward.

Aside from my comments, can I just add how brilliant this thread is and how good all the ideas floated are.

This is the best approach I have seen suggested for this. I really hope the devs consider this approach. 

• Like 1

CarlosLima

Hi,
Well structured feature request and would be very useful to have available on emby.
I use movie versions in this format:
Avatar (2022) - Original FHD.mp4
I never used quality versions because I will always use the one that is bigger, in the case of FHD (I don't use 4K in remote emby, only in local emby)
For me it works perfect and what I would really like to have in this sense is that when pausing the Avatar movie, the emby displays on Continue watching only the version that was paused and not both versions as is currently done.
I don't see the point in having the 2 images on Continue watching because if I paused the Original version I won't ever want to continue watching in the Dubbed version, I don't see any sense in that.
The same occurs with episodes (which are not in the same folder, but separated even in different libraries). When pausing the Dubbed episode, I would like to see on Continue watching only the Dubbed version and not both versions.

Screenshot.png

Happy2Play
16 minutes ago, CarlosLima said:

Hi,
Well structured feature request and would be very useful to have available on emby.
I use movie versions in this format:
Avatar (2022) - Original FHD.mp4
I never used quality versions because I will always use the one that is bigger, in the case of FHD (I don't use 4K in remote emby, only in local emby)
For me it works perfect and what I would really like to have in this sense is that when pausing the Avatar movie, the emby displays on Continue watching only the version that was paused and not both versions as is currently done.
I don't see the point in having the 2 images on Continue watching because if I paused the Original version I won't ever want to continue watching in the Dubbed version, I don't see any sense in that.
The same occurs with episodes (which are not in the same folder, but separated even in different libraries). When pausing the Dubbed episode, I would like to see on Continue watching only the Dubbed version and not both versions.

Screenshot.png

Per the shown name in images they are different items but have the same providerids.  But would/should come back to multi-versioning method.  As having dub/original in same folder doesn't do this.