Emby Theatre for PC Desktop and AAC 5.1 Audio needs transcoding to AC3

veletron

veletron

Hi

I am running Emby Server V4.7.6 on PC with the PC Desktop version of Emby Theatre 3.0.16 on the same box.

Here in the UK, most moves that are transmitted with surround sound via Free2Air get AAC 5.1 Audio, not AC3 5.1 (aka Dolby Digital). When I play a movie with AAC 5.1, I get PCM stereo sound from my external 5.1 receiver. I have the passthrough options enabled in Emby Theatre. 

If I play the exact same file on a FireStick 4K then I DO get Dolby Digital - albeit with major lip-sync issues.

Is there a possibility for Emby to transcode AAC 5.1 to AC3 5.1 (Dolby Digital) either at the server or on the client such that I get something that can be passed through to my AV amp and rendered as Dolby Digital?

Also. How come this works (eg gets transcoded) with FireTV Stick App, but does not work with Emby Theatre for PC?

I also note this thread, but its closed or I would have posted this there. 

and here

I also note from the above that there is an option added in some of the screenshots - however, I don't see this in my Emby Theatre V3.0.16

Edited by veletron

veletron

Just been looking at the logs and and settings for the FireTV. I note that when I play the .TS file with the AAC 5.1 stream on the fireTV, its getting transcoded by the server to AC3. I also have the 'Play .TS files Direct' option disabled as otherwise the FireTV wont play them properly.

In the FireTV settings (attached screenshot), I see the Option to 'Convert unsupported Audio To Dolby Digital'. As such, my feature request is to enable this very same setting for Emby Theatre on PC.

I know this will work, as if I reduce the Local Network Quality setting in Emby Theatre for PC to 4Mbits then it forces transcoding and I get an AC3 5.1 stream which is fed properly to my receiver. Issue here is that video becomes rubbish quality!

20220824_122426.jpg

Hi, there's already an open request for this or something functionally equivalent. Please join in and contribute to the existing discussion at: