Plex hacked and down currently

vaise

vaise

I have not used it in years (Emby Rocks), emails sent out today to change all passwords.  No CC details they say but users, passwords, DOB etc etc hacked.  Plex.tv down too so you can’t even change your password.

Lucky we all host our own data on emby!

Edited by vaise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Agree 1

unisoft

Roll on 2 factor authentication (using an app like MS Authneticator) for Emby is what I say.

Should be high focus in Emby dev now to secure our systems further....along with an option for no login page if you just use the Emby apps to connect externally so no Emby login web page presented on the web...

Edited by unisoft
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, unisoft said:

Roll on 2 factor authentication (using an app like MS Authneticator) for Emby is what I say.

We don't have a central controlling point for all of your user access like the other guys.  2FA in Emby would only secure your one server.

gene0915

Came here to let the Emby folks know they might see an influx of users. :) I currently maintain an Emby and a Plex setup (hoping to ditch Plex) and yeah, right now Plex is having SEVERE problems. I changed my password after getting the email about the breach and was able to log back into the server and re-claim it but none of my Android TV's can sign into the Plex app with my account. Authorization errors, can't get the 4 digit code, when I get the code it says it's expired when I try linking, guest accounts getting messages that the server is offline, and on and on. One guy in their forums said he ended up using an auth. code and got attached to a different server all together! If it's happening to him, I'm sure somebody is attaching to mine during this state of flux as well. Morons.

The thing I wonder:

What will happen with emby, when the dev servers will be down, be it from an attack or anything else?

As my server (and apps?) need to connect from time to time to the servers, this would make all emby installations useless, sooner or later, right?

Ciao, Alfred

10 minutes ago, gene0915 said:

I changed my password after getting the email about the breach

The key here is, if you used that same password anywhere else, you need to be sure and change it there.  These guys don't break into a Plex server to gain access to your Plex setup.  They are looking for passwords to use elsewhere and the horse has already left the barn so changing it at Plex won't help much if you use it anywhere else too.  They may also just be farming emails since the passwords are hashed and should be difficult to obtain.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, serpi said:

What will happen with emby, when the dev servers will be down, be it from an attack or anything else?

Hi.  What servers?  You mean our admin server?  You should still be able to access your server directly without any problems.

• Agree 1

One2Go

This was one of the hotly discussed topics as an Emby advantage. It is your server, the users are YOUR users and you control their access and details. Plex goes the other way and says NO they are OUR users. You needed to create an account with Plex to have users connect to your Plex server. This basically means Plex forces admins to loose control over their users and Plex wants to control these users forcing on them shitty advertisement and possibly monetize users that are YOUR users and not Plex ones.

Well now the shit has hit the fan and they reap the results of that bad decision, just another reason to ditch Plex for Emby. Since I have a lifetime license for Plex it is just sitting there but not used because Emby is so far more likeable and suits my purposes perfectly.

Edited by One2Go
  • Agree 2

unisoft
4 hours ago, ebr said:

We don't have a central controlling point for all of your user access like the other guys.  2FA in Emby would only secure your one server.

I realise the difference but 2FA is still required for our server setups along with ability to disable the login page if you just want to use the aps to access Emby externally.

I've been busy speaking to Plex friends saying to make the jump over to Emby (although that Apple TV app is a thorn its so nearly there too its infuriating). Emby really needs to showcase some nice Emby screens with artwork etc for the web site so new potential people can see what it looks like along with some pointers on what visually you can control/change with both vertical and horizontal views.

Edited by unisoft

vaise

What do the bitcoin peeps say.  Not your wallet, then not your bitcoins.

In plex, not your user control, not your media !!!! Hehehe.

Gilgamesh_48

I received the email on my two old Plex accounts but, since I have removed all traces of Plex (including all directories and  registry entries), I simply ignored them. I probably should do something as one of the accounts has a lifetime Plex pass but I verified some time ago that there is no accurate personal or CC info anywhere at Plex so I do not see anyway anything of mine gets compromised. If someone did hack into my account and take over my Plex pass that would cost me nothing but it would cost Plex the price of one Plex Pass lifetime. That would not be a horrible thing for me. 😉😀

On 8/24/2022 at 5:00 PM, ebr said:

Hi.  What servers?  You mean our admin server?  You should still be able to access your server directly without any problems.

But my emby server (or some/all apps) has to "phone home" from time to time to check if the licence is still valid, right?

I remember seeing here some threads about using emby without internet access, which seems to be impossible for "longer" periods.

Or is this not true?

Can I use my emby server and apps (will full functionality) forever and ever without the need to connect to any "admin servers"?

If not, what will happen when these servers are gone/not reachable, how long will I be able to use it?

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

17 hours ago, serpi said:

But my emby server (or some/all apps) has to "phone home" from time to time to check if the licence is still valid, right?

I remember seeing here some threads about using emby without internet access, which seems to be impossible for "longer" periods.

Or is this not true?

Can I use my emby server and apps (will full functionality) forever and ever without the need to connect to any "admin servers"?

If not, what will happen when these servers are gone/not reachable, how long will I be able to use it?

Thanks & Ciao, Alfred

For Premiere features, yes, some periodic validation is required.  We have no plans to discontinue the availability of our servers. 

On 8/26/2022 at 4:54 PM, ebr said:

For Premiere features, yes, some periodic validation is required.  We have no plans to discontinue the availability of our servers. 

Which doesn't answer my question, things can change pretty quick, often unexpected.

What you are saying is like "I don't make backups, because I have no plan to loose any data".

What will happen, when the servers are gone?

How long does it work without the servers?

As playing on some/most/all apps require Premiere feature, Emby would soon get unuasable, right?

Ciao, Alfred

• Agree 1

arrbee99

So if the validation happens once a week or something, and the validation server goes down for a week 10 minutes before you're due for an update, you're going to have a problem for a while then ?

vaise

I have had lifetime premier for so long, I don’t know what it gives and what it does not give.  I have forgotten. 

Happy2Play
5 hours ago, serpi said:

If they are gone the obviously no premiere equals no premiere options.

5 hours ago, serpi said:

I believe it depends as it is cached during use.

5 hours ago, serpi said:

As playing on some/most/all apps require Premiere feature, Emby would soon get unuasable, right?

Correct once cache expires all premiere features will stop.

All nonpremiere features continue working just like if you currently do not have Emby Premiere.

Otherwise everyone would just pirate the software and use it for free.

Edited by Happy2Play

TMCsw

Doomsday Prediction...

6 hours ago, serpi said:

The AI will make us the  'servers'

• Haha 3

ng4ever

It is weird how this happen right after I said I was going to use Plex to have a second media streaming server. I know I could use Emby for a second server but I wanted it not viewable at all by anyone else except me.

20 hours ago, serpi said:

Which doesn't answer my question, things can change pretty quick, often unexpected.

What you are saying is like "I don't make backups, because I have no plan to loose any data".

Ciao, Alfred

Barring something like a bomb taking out both me and Luke (we are in separate places) we've always said that, if the day ever came where we decided to discontinue development on Emby, we would try to work out a way for you to continue to use what you have for as long as possible.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, ebr said:

Barring something like a bomb taking out both me and Luke (we are in separate places) we've always said that, if the day ever came where we decided to discontinue development on Emby, we would try to work out a way for you to continue to use what you have for as long as possible.

It could be something more simple, like stolen domain, crashed cloud provider (wherever your servers are hosted) or whatever.

These can be things, that can happen anytime and can need long time to restore.

I just wonder, why it is so hard to give clear answers for this: How often does the server check the premiere status? How long will the premiere features work, if the check fails?

Ciao, Alfred

On 8/27/2022 at 11:49 PM, vaise said:

I have had lifetime premier for so long, I don’t know what it gives and what it does not give.  I have forgotten. 

You can see it here.

Ciao, Alfred

50 minutes ago, serpi said:

I just wonder, why it is so hard to give clear answers for this: How often does the server check the premiere status? How long will the premiere features work, if the check fails?

Hi.  We have answered that and documented it in our KB.  The reality is "it depends" but, generally, the time is about a week.

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001173135-is-there-a-limit-to-emby-premiere