Where is the proxy configuration file in Synology 6.2.2?

Colinwow

Colinwow

I have install the emby in my Synology 6.2.2. Beacuse the problem of network, I must use proxy to connect the emby or themoviedb server.

I have set the proxy in the Synology system level, but it don' t work. I think the emby don't use system proxy.

And then I install the emby on other computer that use ubuntu. I can set the "/etc/emby-server.conf" file to use proxy.

But there is not the file in Synology 6.2.2.

So I want to know where the file same with "/etc/emby-server.conf" in Synology 6.2.2 or some other solution.

FrostByte

No, never setup a proxy with Emby and I don't have that file either though I found several older posts referring to that file at that location.  @cayars may know

I would say the built in proxy in Synology is incompatible with Emby. It seems to cause a lot of issues and there is no way to make adjustments to it's setup that would be needed.

But I'm a little lost why you think you need to go through the proxy to reach Emby.

As long as your not using a port that Synology has reserved you can do a port forwarding from your router directly to the IP Emby Server is using and that should work.  Ports 8096 and 8920 work fine this way and are the Emby default ports too.

Can you give us more information on your setup and what ports you're using?

Carlo

• Like 1

Colinwow
On 8/26/2022 at 3:13 AM, cayars said:

I would say the built in proxy in Synology is incompatible with Emby. It seems to cause a lot of issues and there is no way to make adjustments to it's setup that would be needed.

But I'm a little lost why you think you need to go through the proxy to reach Emby.

As long as your not using a port that Synology has reserved you can do a port forwarding from your router directly to the IP Emby Server is using and that should work.  Ports 8096 and 8920 work fine this way and are the Emby default ports too.

Can you give us more information on your setup and what ports you're using?

Carlo

Hi.

I live in mainland China. Because of china gfw, I can't access websites that scrape metadata (such as tmdb, tvdb, fanart.tv). So I must use proxy to connect to those web server.

I don't care if I can connect my EMBY from the Internet through ports 8096 and 8920. I just use my EMBY in the LAN.

The proxy built into Synology is a Reverse Proxy and not what you need.  What you really want is Magic DNS or a VPN used just for specific destination (meta-data) or the use of smart proxy (probably in the US) that you setup in local DNS pointing to the proxy.  So the proxy receives the URL which will appear to be the actual URL used for the API call from Emby.  It's setup to handle specific domains so it does the request for you (middle man) and sends you back the answer it gets.