Emby Randomly Not Importing Overview Metadata from MusicBrainz

theniteow1

theniteow1

Hello all,

I've been slowly converting my Music library into Emby, and I am noticing something that is a slight annoyance.  It seems to be at random but Emby does not always import the Overview metadata for the album from MusicBrainz.  Sometimes I have to click on the link for MusicBrainz Release Group id, and copy the Wikipedia data off the website myself.  I can't find any reason why sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.  Has anybody else run into this?

Thanks!

theniteow1

I believe I just figured out what's going on.  Here is an example:

There is album information at this link:

https://musicbrainz.org/release-group/d5ce3d40-e27b-4c91-ab69-a464d7888cfb

But not at this link:

https://www.theaudiodb.com/album/2131083

I have other other examples of this, so it seems Emby is only importing data if it is available from TheAudioDB, however, I have configured Emby to import from MusicBrainz first:

image.png.3f09bb48f69bc1f694a0d4832db1f82a.png

Looks like it is ignoring the information from MusicBrainz.

• Agree 1

theniteow1

Confirmed.  I found an album that had metadata information on MusicBrainz but not AudioDB.  I edited the album information on AudioDB and added the description of the album. Did a refresh of the metadata and boom, it populated.  Seems that Emby is ignoring MusicBrainz metadata all together,  and is relying on AudioDB regardless of the priority, or even if I disable AudioDB metadata in the Library settings.

Vicpa

Hi

You are correct. emby. Doesn't read description metadata from Musicbrainz for album or artist for that matter. Maybe a feature request?

theniteow1
51 minutes ago, Vicpa said:

Hi

You are correct. emby. Doesn't read description metadata from Musicbrainz for album or artist for that matter. Maybe a feature request?

Where do you see it does not import metadata from MusicBrainz?  From all accounts, it looks it should be.

• Like 1

Vicpa

hi,

I know that it looks like it should. But I don't think emby has ever captured album or artist description data from MusicBrainz. It never has for me anyway,🤨. I always thought it would be a great addition if it would.

@Happy2Play, @Luke can you confirm?

-vicpa

theniteow1
2 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@Vicpa Not seeing any description info in the queries from MBZ.  Even their examples only show description for Instruments.

Would appear their api does not reflect their website info.

MusicBrainz API / Examples - MusicBrainz

If the API is not able to get information from MusicBrainz than I will switch everything over to TheAudioDB until they fix it.

Hi, yes I can see the issue with the plugin not importing the overview. We're looking into it. Thanks.

• Like 1

wordlover
On 8/24/2022 at 8:06 PM, Luke said:

Hi, yes I can see the issue with the plugin not importing the overview. We're looking into it. Thanks.

Not sure if this is related, but the problem persists where a full metadata scan of my music library still retrieves only *some* Artist and Album Artist profile images. I have switched my settings to prioritize first MusicBrainz and then FanDB, and done fresh (long) metadata refreshes under both settings, but still more than half the artist profile pictures are missing.

theniteow1

I see as of August 30th, there was an update to MusicBrainz, and the description is as follows: Support artist descriptions.  @Luke Am I correct in assuming this fixes the above issue?

theniteow1
9 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@theniteow1 Per the linked topic they technically do not have descriptions.

Yes, looks like the information is just pulled from Wikipedia, but not technically housed with MusicBrainz so it is not passed on.  In either case, glad to know what direction I need to take now.  Appreciate the excellent support from the Emby crew into looking into this.  Thanks @Luke!

• Thanks 1