Different Posters/Info for Alternate Cuts

adavis219

adavis219

I was wondering if implementing this feature could be a possibility eventually. Considering the option to change the version of a movie is so tiny, I'd like to be able to have the poster change whenever choosing the different cut of a movie such as Apoc. Now with the 10,000 cuts it has. I understand I can split apart the movies but this ruins the look and flow of my set up imo and I personally think the ability to change version posters would be neat. I also realized that the information such as length, rating, etc are based on the original release of the film and don't change when selecting another version.

Thanks for all the hard work regardless!

I attached some photos of an example of the change aswell.

Capture.PNG

Capture - Copy.PNG

Edited by adavis219
pic fix, noticed information doesn't change when switching to alt cut.
  • Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi.  There are a number of related existing requests for this.  None asking for the image specifically, but all the other metadata, etc.

The bottom line is that the version feature is designed for multiple qualities rather than cuts.  IMO we really would need a different presentation or method for the two variations (qualities vs cuts) because, right now, metadata is assumed to be the same between versions.

adavis219

@ebr Ahh sorry about that! I searched beforehand and didn't see that.

So for now the best course of action is to split these files apart if that poster and information change is wanted? Not the biggest deal for me, I just prefer a cleaner library.

I love that the option is there for versions but I would like to see what you had said with another way to switch "cuts" instead of being used for quality.

If I want to change the quality of the video for some reason I'd probably do it within the actual player using the "Quality" setting, although I can understand some not wanting to do it that way. 

Thanks for the reply!

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, adavis219 said:

So for now the best course of action is to split these files apart if that poster and information change is wanted?

Yes and then you could put the different cuts in a Collection and turn on the option to group items into collections and you would only see one poster in the main view.

• Thanks 1

Happy2Play

Note with items not grouped, watching different cuts are tracked the same way as they have the same providerids so if you watch one and pause/stop creating a Resume/Continue watching point all versions will appear in Continue Watching.

• Thanks 1

roaku
13 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Note with items not grouped, watching different cuts are tracked the same way as they have the same providerids so if you watch one and pause/stop creating a Resume/Continue watching point all versions will appear in Continue Watching.

Yes, there's currently no good solution for multiple cuts [sic] versions.

You have to choose which set of compromises bother you the least.

Edited by ebr
clarification
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

CAPRICORNX10X

I have a proposal for an interesting feature.
Once there are several movie versions in a movie folder
Let's say the director's version and a theatrical version
So as soon as you change and select a certain version then the poster will also change according to the selected version.
This means that inside the folder there will be 2 posters according to the example 1 that corresponds to the director's version and the other that corresponds to the theatrical version

adavis219

My plan is just to add any other cuts (Non-theatrical) of a movie under their own section. I just created a “Fan Edits” section so I’ve gone ahead and created another called “Other Cuts”. If there are multiple cuts, I’ll create a collection for said film.

Thanks for all the input guys!

CAPRICORNX10X

I read everything and tried to understand.
Why is it a problem that the movie poster will automatically change as as you choose a different version to watch.
It is possible to leave two posters in the folder, one the director's version and other the theatrical version. And so accordingly it will change...
Is it so complicated?

Just for the info, I saw that emby web and emby theater as I choose another version, none of the details of the movie changes, not runtime and so on

But on Android TV the info do change according to the selection of the movie version.

Why ?

18 hours ago, CAPRICORNX10X said:

Why is it a problem that the movie poster will automatically change as as you choose a different version to watch.

Because this feature was designed for different qualities not cuts.  So all the versions share the same metadata.  There is no separate poster to show.

CAPRICORNX10X
2 hours ago, ebr said:

Because this feature was designed for different qualities not cuts.  So all the versions share the same metadata.  There is no separate poster to show.

Okay ,
And is there a possibility of change? And to implement such a feature?
Or is it impossible?

• 2 months later...
CAPRICORNX10X
On 8/26/2022 at 7:35 PM, Luke said:

It's possible for future updates. Thanks.

Is there any update regarding this request? There will be a change of the poster image according to the selection of the movie version. ?