Which Megabit is which?

n7of9

Sorry for the dumbo question, I'm confused over terminology...

My internet speed is measured in Mbps, my video files' bitrate is in Mbps, I can set the max quality in my Emby client to Mbps, I can set my users' Internet Streaming Bitrate Limit in Mbps.  Are all these megabits the same or different?

If my upload speed is 35Mbit, and my files are all non-fancy 1080p HEVC at <5Mbit, should I limit all my users' streaming speed to 30Mbit because that's my upload speed, or limit them to 10MBit because that covers the media video bitrate?

rbjtech
1 hour ago, n7of9 said:

Sorry for the dumbo question, I'm confused over terminology...

My internet speed is measured in Mbps, my video files' bitrate is in Mbps, I can set the max quality in my Emby client to Mbps, I can set my users' Internet Streaming Bitrate Limit in Mbps.  Are all these megabits the same or different?

If my upload speed is 35Mbit, and my files are all non-fancy 1080p HEVC at <5Mbit, should I limit all my users' streaming speed to 30Mbit because that's my upload speed, or limit them to 10MBit because that covers the media video bitrate?

So if your HEVC are all at 5Mbit - then 10Mbit will be plenty - remember this is a Max - they will still only use 5.  Remember this is a per user limit - so if you have 30 Mbit up - then theoretically you could have ~5-6 users at once (but then using all your upload bandwidth).

• Like 1

Thanks. So a 5Mbit bitrate video file wants at least a 5Mbit internet connection to direct play? So in effect, every mention of megabit is the same?

Edited by n7of9

rbjtech
3 minutes ago, n7of9 said:

Thanks. So a 5Mbit bitrate video file wants at least a 5Mbit internet connection to direct play? So in effect, every mention of megabit is the same?

yes - it will need a little more due to overheads (3%) - so 10Mbit is more than sufficient. :)

• Like 1