Audiobook Metadata Issues

MuadDib999

MuadDib999

I'm working on setting up an Audio Book library and it is not pulling in the embedded metadata, specifically the images, correctly.

When pulling in multiple books in one "Album", I would expect to see each book's individual cover. Instead I am seeing all books with the cover image of the first one. (Image: Wrong.png)

Wrong.PNG.ce4191794c65d27b5268473388e4ac33.PNG

I have found a workaround by removing the file's Album metadata tag (I use Mp3tag), loading the books into Emby, and then manually changing the Emby Album tag for each book. (Image: Right.png)

Right.PNG.9a3b62e2a836a176147793c9e1703d45.PNG

However, this is a very tedious process with hundreds of audio books. Not to mention that if I accidentally hit "Refresh Metadata" or need to redo my Emby server for some reason, then it would take hours of work to get it back to where I want it.

Thank you for looking into this.

Hello MuadDib999,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

Happy2Play

I would ask what your folder structure is?

Author-Series-Book

image.thumb.png.6406e67f60bbe0e981103cec7d1d8cf6.png

MuadDib999

I have done Author-Book, Author-Series, as well as my standard MainSeries-SubSeries that I'd been using. I just tried Author-Series-Book as well and got the same results.

The SubSeries is unique to Harry Potter since I have the sets read by Jim Dale, Stephen Fry, Rufus Beck, and Felix von Manteuffel, so I had been keeping them separated that way.

Author-Book:

Author-Book.PNG.7aaae852ada44e3474268dc15cff60da.PNG

Author Series:

Author-Series.PNG.d977e4ac411db9a253e1b23d7e374f10.PNG

Main-Sub:

MainSeries-Subseries.PNG.d7c9ac208046bb6f1c637ccdacd184c8.PNG

Author-Series-Book:

Author-Series-Book.PNG.c61a9fbcbc188f01cc28704c6565590b.PNG

Junglejim

Personally I treat audiobooks the same as music, Artist/Author - Album/Book - Tracks (only if mp3, I only have m4b so it's just one book). Then it's all tag driven from there for me. I must admit I have to sort some out at some point. :) But as long as the Album/Book is in a folder with the same Album/Book tag it should work, hopefully..

This is all personal preference of course, but the tags are the main thing to get right. You can add books into series folders to keep thing's sorted and organized, Emby wont care, it's just going to read the tags.

MuadDib999

Yeah, that's the problem.

If I have the Album tag populated in the file, then Emby reads it and gives them all the same cover.

If I clear out the tag, then the covers work properly but I have to manually edit the field within Emby.

It wouldn't be so bad if there were bulk editing in the Metadata Manager, but editing the field one-by-one for hundreds of audio books is very tedious.

Happy2Play

@MuadDib999 But most do not agree Emby should ever edit file tags.  From editing and read a nfo file sure but never touch the file itself.

But any tag editor can change hundreds to thousands of files in seconds.

• Agree 1

Junglejim
22 hours ago, MuadDib999 said:

Yeah, that's the problem.

If I have the Album tag populated in the file, then Emby reads it and gives them all the same cover.

If I clear out the tag, then the covers work properly but I have to manually edit the field within Emby.

It wouldn't be so bad if there were bulk editing in the Metadata Manager, but editing the field one-by-one for hundreds of audio books is very tedious.

Does each Audiobook have it's own unique Album/Book tag like below..

Screenshot_2022-08-24_18-45-50.thumb.png.5bbe3efa6be2bcfd759dfcb90eee0e3a.png

That's the only thing I can think of why it's maybe not pulling in the right cover embedded from the files.

MuadDib999
11 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@MuadDib999 But most do not agree Emby should ever edit file tags.  From editing and read a nfo file sure but never touch the file itself.

But any tag editor can change hundreds to thousands of files in seconds.

Sorry, that's not what I meant.

I'm editing the tags on the files themselves with Mp3tag. I'm using this to remove the Album field.

Then, when I go into Emby, I'm updating the internal metadata back to what I would like it to be on the file.

But yes, this method doesn't write any metadata on the file itself, just what Emby stores on its own. If I were to Refresh Metadata within Emby, it would revert back and I would need to manually edit it within Emby again. If Emby had bulk metadata editing, this wouldn't be so much of an issue.

MuadDib999
15 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

Does each Audiobook have it's own unique Album/Book tag like below..

Screenshot_2022-08-24_18-45-50.thumb.png.5bbe3efa6be2bcfd759dfcb90eee0e3a.png

That's the only thing I can think of why it's maybe not pulling in the right cover embedded from the files.

Would you be able to show me how your files are tagged? Also, are you using the library type as Music or as Audio Book?

Junglejim
1 hour ago, MuadDib999 said:

Would you be able to show me how your files are tagged? Also, are you using the library type as Music or as Audio Book?

Yea no probs, give me five min.. :)  I'm using Audiobook lib type (it just looks like a music lib, early dev on audiobooks.. ;))

I run Linux so this may look different to what your use too.Screenshot_2022-08-24_19-28-48.thumb.png.d392d68ff1608e7fa3393608eaa61e2f.png

Screenshot_2022-08-24_19-29-30.thumb.png.ea3203e00237ca4bb59853c020403dbd.png

I just added 2 audiobooks tag info but hopefully you get the idea. Each book is placed in it's own folder that is named with the Album tag.

Screenshot_2022-08-24_20-05-34.thumb.png.9622848f5ef65d51d210be7e2dbe36be.png

Edited by Junglejim

MuadDib999

OK, thank you. That's working the same as no Album in terms of the metadata.

What I want is to have the Album be the series name and then each track within the album be each book as a track.

Ultimately I would like it to look like this:

Right.PNG.0e788f5c3e646f9b37f1b71008e6d58d.PNG

But when I have all of the tracks (books) with the same album name of "Harry Potter (Jim Dale)", they get imported with the incorrect images, and end up looking like this:

Wrong.PNG.ccbe0ee2a5a56b8632a4d16e091b998e.PNG

Junglejim
18 hours ago, MuadDib999 said:

OK, thank you. That's working the same as no Album in terms of the metadata.

What I want is to have the Album be the series name and then each track within the album be each book as a track.

Ultimately I would like it to look like this:

Right.PNG.0e788f5c3e646f9b37f1b71008e6d58d.PNG

But when I have all of the tracks (books) with the same album name of "Harry Potter (Jim Dale)", they get imported with the incorrect images, and end up looking like this:

Wrong.PNG.ccbe0ee2a5a56b8632a4d16e091b998e.PNG

Yea that's not going to work. That's like having a different album cover for each track in a music album.

Maybe you could do each book individually as I stated above then add them to a collection/playlist?

Edited by Junglejim

pwhodges
2 hours ago, Junglejim said:

That's like having a different album cover for each track in a music album.

Which I wish we could do - e.g. for compilation albums.

Paul

• Like 1

Junglejim
7 minutes ago, pwhodges said:

Which I wish we could do - e.g. for compilation albums.

Paul

Yea it's feature request that could help in that regard. I make my own comp albums with my fav music to listen to while driving etc. it would be nice to have the album cover that the track came from rather than a various artists track image. 👍

MuadDib999
2 minutes ago, Junglejim said:

Yea it's feature request that could help in that regard. I make my own comp albums with my fav music to listen to while driving etc. it would be nice to have the album cover that the track came from rather than a various artists track image. 👍

Yeah. Each track certainly has its own image tag so I would think that they should be imported individually with the rest of the metadata tags.

I'll put in a feature request.

• Like 1

Junglejim
4 minutes ago, MuadDib999 said:

Yeah. Each track certainly has its own image tag so I would think that they should be imported individually with the rest of the metadata tags.

I'll put in a feature request.

It would be nice feature but the way tags work in there current state I can't see it happening any time soon. 😉 You never know though. 👍