Increase Profile Maximum Bitrate

croaton

croaton

Last Days i seen a few Issues, but first, I'm coming as Plex User for Years and your Solution is much more Faster.

So here we go 4k 120mbps is not enough.

Explanation.

UHD Bluray Standards

The specification allows for three disc capacities, each with its own data rate: 50 GB at 72 or 92 Mbit/s, and 66 GB and 100 GB at 92, 123, or 144 Mbit/s.

Bluray Standards allow 128mbit/s max

So know we come to the Bottleneck, all we know the Net is not a Secure Place so you have to use SSL and here comes the SSL Overhead in the Game, even with best tuned Ciphers ( like small 128bit GCM or Chacha) for Streaming

you got Overhead, a Movie before with http played fine is now with https buffering while it misses 10-20mbit in Bandwith due to Limitations of the Client.

I noticed this on every MediaSolution i used, with DLNA over SSL no Prob so there no Limitations to Clients. No Buffering vice versa.

And the Scans from Mediainfo shows only the Avg. Bitrate not the high Peaks that are maybe in the File.

So my Opinion is pls increase the Bitrate to 150mbps, thats needed for high Peaks.

rbjtech

The standards you specify are for Bluray disk data transfers from the disk to a local playback machine - they have nothing to do with streaming standards.

For high bitrate content over a network - you want to 'Direct Play' (for a number of reasons) and that does not enforce any bitrate limitations - streaming 200-300Mb/s is perfectly possible if your hardware can handle it.

If your device is failing to handle TLS vs HTTP, then it must be very old as pretty much all TLS processing is now done in hardware and has been for a number of years.

9 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

For high bitrate content over a network - you want to 'Direct Play' (for a number of reasons) and that does not enforce any bitrate limitations

It actually does in our system.  If an item's bitrate is over the setting, then it will not direct play and, currently, some of our apps have 120 as the highest value you can select for the max.  So, this request is valid in that that there should be a 150 option as well.

• Thanks 1

croaton
16 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

The standards you specify are for Bluray disk data transfers from the disk to a local playback machine - they have nothing to do with streaming standards.

For high bitrate content over a network - you want to 'Direct Play' (for a number of reasons) and that does not enforce any bitrate limitations - streaming 200-300Mb/s is perfectly possible if your hardware can handle it.

If your device is failing to handle TLS vs HTTP, then it must be very old as pretty much all TLS processing is now done in hardware and has been for a number of years.

Device plays fine over TLS but the Restriction of 120mbps is the Bottleneck, i have many that increase high bitrate peaks and so no Direct Play is possible due to Limitation.

8 minutes ago, ebr said:

It actually does in our system.  If an item's bitrate is over the setting, then it will not direct play and, currently, some of our apps have 120 as the highest value you can select for the max.  So, this request is valid in that that there should be a 150 option as well.

Thanks for my right Interpretation of your Settings. So Hopefully it's not Hard to put the Increase in Server and Apps.

rbjtech
5 minutes ago, ebr said:

ok - but unless you are enforcing for a reason - why have a limit at all ?.

150Mbit/sec is no more of a standard than lets say 300Mbit/sec.

The AndroidTV has a sensible limit which is the max Ethernet interface speed - 1000Mbit/sec.   I highly doubt emby / Shield could handle this - but at least it's aligned to a 'standard'. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

croaton
7 minutes ago, rbjtech said:

ok - but unless you are enforcing for a reason - why have a limit at all ?.

150Mbit/sec is no more of a standard than lets say 300Mbit/sec.

The AndroidTV has a sensible limit which is the max Ethernet interface speed - 1000Mbit/sec.   I highly doubt emby / Shield could handle this - but at least it's aligned to a 'standard'. 

You are Right on FireTVStick i have enforced 1000Mbit/s, Increasing Bitrate Limit's it's not a Problem I think.

FrostByte

I like 1000 Mbps as in ATV.  If you have a fast network then why not.  What I like in the ET apps is that they have two settings (one for Internet and one for home network).  However, both seem to be capped at 120 Mbps which seems low, especially for the home network one.