I deleted a shared folder, and now stuff doesn't work!

simonselmer

simonselmer

Hi

So, many months back I got help from someone in here, Cayars perhaps, who with remote takeover helped me migrate Emby to DSM7.
I remember there was an old Emby- folder, that we renamed to "Emby Delete" or similar, and we agreed I could delete that in a weeks time, but of course I forgot and never did.

So on my NAS, through the webinterface, I noticed I have a shared folder called "EmbyDelete", and thought that must be the folder that I could delete, so I deleted it some hours ago.
And now I notice that when adding new media, Emby does not automatically regonize it, Emby does not automatically identify the media, and even when I try to identify the media, for exmaple by a imdb-ID, then the search page just goes blank. And also Emby doesn't identify TV programs and shows a picture of the program.

So I hope that somewhere in Emby there is a path-reference that is not set correcly, and I "just" need to change.
Otherwise everything else works fine, and seems to play fine.

Best Regards Simon

embyserver.txt

Happy2Play

Looks like your server can no longer communicate with external sites.  If you search the forum you will see some topic with "Resource temporarily unavailable".

System.Net.Sockets.SocketException: Resource temporarily unavailable

@FrostByte@cayars any ideas as I don't see how delete a share would break network connectivity.

• Like 1

Hello simonselmer,

Yes that was me. The EmbyDelete folder was your old DSM6 Emby folder which we copied over to the new location in DSM 7.  So deleting that folder should have nothing to do with this.

As Happy2Play mentioned what your logs show appears to be some type of network issue.

The leading cause I've seen for this is running a VPN on the Emby Server.  By any chance are you running a VPN?

Carlo

• Like 1

simonselmer

Thank you very much. Your comments led me to the problem; fixing my DNS on the NAS.

Longer story about that.
I have the past half year or so had my NAS break down / hanging / freezing. About once a month, but now it has happened 2-3 times during the past month.
I dont know if I had this problem before DSM 7, and I dont know if I had this problem before I installed PiHole in Docker???

I am in contact with Synology to try to debug, but in order to just try something, I deactivated my 2 running dockercontainers; PiHole and Unify Controller.
And at the same time I did this, I also deleted the "EmbyDelete" folder.

My network is configured so the primary DNS is the NAS with Pihole, and secondary DNS is google.
So all other equiptment continued to work (using secondary DNS), but the NAS apperently ONLY has the PiHole as DNS, so after I deactivated PiHole, the NAS didn't have any DNS access.
Long story.

If anybody is still reading, I can ask, does anyone else have their Synology NAS hanging from time to time?

Best Regards

• Like 1

Happy2Play
1 hour ago, simonselmer said:

can ask, does anyone else have their Synology NAS hanging from time to time?

Can you explain more, what do you mean by hanging?

simonselmer

Well, it stops working. I have a DS918+, and all 4 disk LEDs are blinking, and I cannot connect to it in any way. Neither through windows, SSH, or Emby.

Even holding the power button for a few seconds, where the power button starts to blink, which should start a proper shutdown, does not work. The power button can continue to blink.

Only solution is to hold the power button until it shuts down, and then power it on again.

Happy2Play
13 minutes ago, simonselmer said:

Well, it stops working. I have a DS918+, and all 4 disk LEDs are blinking, and I cannot connect to it in any way. Neither through windows, SSH, or Emby.

Even holding the power button for a few seconds, where the power button starts to blink, which should start a proper shutdown, does not work. The power button can continue to blink.

Only solution is to hold the power button until it shuts down, and then power it on again.

@cayars@FrostBytehave you run into anything like this?