Pre-Encoding vs Transcoding

VirulentPip

VirulentPip

Beta Driver D3D9 and D3D11 are options but H265 > H264 fails and falls back to software transcode.

Then tried Standard 31.0.101.3277 - Blazing speed with D3D11 - Chrome has a spinning blue circle that doesn't go away but it's playing. 4K loading circle not present UHD 770 was 190fps so with 4K the Arc is slightly slower (on par) but smashes the UHD 770 at 1080p. 

Drivers do definitely cause a lot of issues it seems, although the Arc has blistering speeds at 1080p, I'll be switching back to the UHD 770 due to needing the Arc for my AV1 encoding. But for those without those needs, seems like a good card to get your hands on. 

image.png.e8cd806de52f75d2d400b892172519fd.pngimage.png.d2da9288b5ddac7dce6cd16ed57d613c.png

• Thanks 2

TMCsw

@VirulentPipJust curious!?

While I understand it will take a while for Intel to get a decent driver set for this new-ish card and understandably a little longer for emby to support it (because of this and so far very few people are trying to use it), I ask the following because the best reason for me to get this card (or next version) would be for the AV1 encoding ability/speed (as I already have UHD 770)

So.. ..do you have any performance info in regards to AV1 encoding speed/quality for this card (via. ffmpeg, handbrake or otherwise)? All the reviews i can find online just say trans-coding is good but only talk about the mediocre game performance.

TIA.

VirulentPip
7 hours ago, TMCsw said:

So.. ..do you have any performance info in regards to AV1 encoding speed/quality for this card (via. ffmpeg, handbrake or otherwise)? All the reviews i can find online just say trans-coding is good but only talk about the mediocre game performance.

Yep, I have been using Handbrake Nightly (Prod release doesn't have QSV AV1 yet) 

AV1 10bit- ICQ 20 (28 for cartoons) Quality and I also use the automatic crop option, no other video options or filters. 

Blues Brothers Extended Cut:

image.png.6734eacff5dbaa91ba0f5234194928c4.pngimage.png.c95a0a84db8871587889dbf30afff277.png

Quality and size pretty much comparable with x265 encodes I used to do a while back (from memory that is no side-by-side comparisons) Never thought while checking "Ah I could probably check a couple ICQ lower. 

I've not checked the PQ of this one yet, but I started 2 Fast 2 Furious (4K HDR) last night:

image.png.afc1449be3aa7a32d2e83e3a7bd22c79.pngimage.png.f4038c3c02a0daaf034af0de8cd84eb4.png

Quite a lot slower, but still a LOT faster than software x265 - I'll edit post once I've checked PQ on my TV - To be fair I'm only expecting do to this for 4K films that I like to have in the format but aren't absolute musts. 

Edit -- Hmm even though it's carried over the BT.2020 It's not HDR, will have to check more Handbrake settings. 

Edit 2 - Ah so me manually putting the filter to BT.2020 enabled tone mapping, left that alone.
image.png.79dac73de675bcf4b6d2c9249dc50e8b.pngimage.png.00a6e0e601b6daba22f1da7f54252d07.png

Holy moly, surprisingly very watchable, watched the opening race and didn't notice any artefacts, I'd probably use ICQ 16 just for the sake of it though. Overall, very impressed. 

Edited by VirulentPip
  • Thanks 2

rbjtech

Thanks for the updates ..

~2x real time for 4K looks mighty impressive - is that a 4k remux source (60-80Mbit/h265) to 6.5 Mbit/av1 ?

VirulentPip
1 minute ago, rbjtech said:

~2x real time for 4K looks mighty impressive - is that a 4k remux source (60-80Mbit/h265) to 6.5 Mbit/av1 ?

Source 

image.png.6eb8c0d3f86eb56807979831cc373783.png

• Thanks 1

VirulentPip

@rbjtech Are my eyes or emby lying to me or is this TV direct playing back AV1 10 bit?

image.png.f427da3aae8060c8a527c37a3e2dc176.png
Wow it actually does support.
image.png.692a02f287eae8d4bf198fff3aacac44.png

Edited by VirulentPip
  • Like 2

VirulentPip
1 minute ago, Luke said:

That's an older version of our app, so in that build we're probably not even checking for av1 compatibility.

But the one above is the same version 1.2.6 and to my amazement played back fine. 

10 minutes ago, VirulentPip said:

But the one above is the same version 1.2.6 and to my amazement played back fine. 

OK maybe we had added it in 1.2.6.

VirulentPip
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

OK maybe we had added it in 1.2.6.

Just odd that one will playback fine and the other won't also for the Q60A, on the app store it says Latest Version 1.2.6 (1.2.6 Installed) so I guess they aren't being pushed anymore?

Just now, VirulentPip said:

Just odd that one will playback fine and the other won't also for the Q60A, on the app store it says Latest Version 1.2.6 (1.2.6 Installed) so I guess they aren't being pushed anymore?

Updates are still being pushed to the store.

VirulentPip
Just now, Luke said:

Updates are still being pushed to the store.

They uninstalled and it still grabbed the 1.2.6 on reinstall lol.. UK based. Not sure if that's something that needs to be looked into?

Happy2Play

@VirulentPip Did you play the same media on both devices?

&TranscodeReasons=DirectPlayError

Will guess do to media not having frame rate of 60?

Happy2Play

@FrostByte@SamESmay have to comment on the differences and possible cause on one throwing "TranscodeReasons=DirectPlayError".

QE55Q60AAUXXU (2021)

UE50TU7020KXXU (2020)

Edited by Happy2Play

SamES
12 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

@FrostByte@SamESmay have to comment on the differences and possible cause on one throwing "TranscodeReasons=DirectPlayError".

QE55Q60AAUXXU (2021)

UE50TU7020KXXU (2020)

Normally this error means we expected the file to DirectPlay, and the player tried it but failed. 

Generally, this might be an error with the file (encoding, container, etc) or an incompatible encoding setting that we are not checking for but is not supported by the player

VirulentPip
5 minutes ago, SamES said:

Normally this error means we expected the file to DirectPlay, and the player tried it but failed. 

Generally, this might be an error with the file (encoding, container, etc) or an incompatible encoding setting that we are not checking for but is not supported by the player

Can’t be error with the file if the TU7020 direct played and the Q60A didn’t surely? The TU7020 uses older version of Tizen, but you’d imagine the older one to have the issues right? 

rbjtech
14 minutes ago, VirulentPip said:

Can’t be error with the file if the TU7020 direct played and the Q60A didn’t surely? The TU7020 uses older version of Tizen, but you’d imagine the older one to have the issues right? 

This is the source created by the A380 yes ?

If possible, can you sample a small section of it and post via  PM ?

I'd like to see if my FireTV/Shield clients are going to like AV1 decode before I splash on the card ... ;)

SamES
50 minutes ago, VirulentPip said:

Yes, that's what you'd expect, but funny things can happen between Tizen releases.

Some 2021 models support 120fps, but only 60fps for 2020 models.  They have changed this so it's possible they've changed (or broken) other things as well!

VirulentPip

The Q60T direct plays back too. But it’s juddering, I expect this is due to lack of HW acceleration, I assume the other TV is too but not  being reported. Is there anyway I can force a transcode, can’t see Convert option, which is how I’d assume to do that. Can I edit a device config or something that will tell server it cannot play AV1? 

Edited by VirulentPip

SamES
3 hours ago, VirulentPip said:

The Q60T direct plays back too. But it’s juddering, I expect this is due to lack of HW acceleration, I assume the other TV is too but not  being reported. Is there anyway I can force a transcode, can’t see Convert option, which is how I’d assume to do that. Can I edit a device config or something that will tell server it cannot play AV1? 

Easiest option is to drop the playback quality until it starts transcoding, but remember to change it back to auto as this will affect all playbacks

Happy2Play

@SamES OT:  Does not currently exist in all clients/apps.  But believe all clients/app should add Playback Correction that toggles media playback from Direct Play to Direct Stream to Transcode without adjusting quality. 

59 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

@SamES OT:  Does not currently exist in all clients/apps.  But believe all clients/app should add Playback Correction that toggles media playback from Direct Play to Direct Stream to Transcode without adjusting quality. 

Yes, that would be useful.  A decision that @Lukewould need to make