Ability to trigger the HDR Tonemapping from the screen (read below)

neoskateur

neoskateur

Hello,

I've disable the HDR tonemapping in my server because I have an HDR TV.
But I've manage to get a grey looking/ desaturated colors on my phone. And my phone is HDR. 
To be honnest it was a bad experience, the colors looked perfect only when I trigger the volume button.
Anyway.

So I have some devices with HDR, some, without, my friends and parents are using with and without HDR (maybe they don't even know).
I would be a HUGE feature just to have a button on the client screen while playing an HDR content to enable or disable the tonemapping and let them choose what looks the best for them.
You know like they can choose the resolution and bitrate, they should be able with one press to enable or disable the HDR. (Like PotPlayer and it's great for that)

We can go even further but I don't ask it, and detect the smartphone's screen model to set HDR or not by default on the client app.

neoskateur
3 hours ago, crusher11 said:

Why not just...turn tone mapping on in your server settings?

Because the colors then are not perfect on an HDR screen... 
If the client can choose itself it's a lot better for the color accuracy. And less problem with the conversion.
For exemple a serie I'm watching with Tonemapping ON is looking really dark. While without that conversion on an HDR screen it's great.

Edited by neoskateur

Happy2Play
3 hours ago, neoskateur said:

Because the colors then are not perfect on an HDR screen... 
If the client can choose itself it's a lot better for the color accuracy. And less problem with the conversion.
For exemple a serie I'm watching with Tonemapping ON is looking really dark. While without that conversion on an HDR screen it's great.

Have you installed the Diagnostic plugin as you can change the TM algorithm.

But Tonemapping only happens when Transcoding is required.

So I don't understand this request.  If item cannot Direct Play, it will require server Tonemapping no matter what unless you want a washed-out video.

neoskateur

So you are telling me that, when the HDR TM is enabled, it's only done when the user doesn't have HDR screen ? 
Yes I've installed the plugin, I'm looking to setup it now.

rbjtech
2 hours ago, neoskateur said:

So you are telling me that, when the HDR TM is enabled, it's only done when the user doesn't have HDR screen ? 

Yes - it only tone maps if it needs to - ie you do not have an HDR capable display.

Happy2Play
9 hours ago, rbjtech said:
12 hours ago, neoskateur said:

Yes - it only tone maps if it needs to - ie you do not have an HDR capable display.

Or bitrate or device codec limitations ie required conversions.

So we need specific examples/logs if media is being converted when it shouldn't be.

The only issue that exists now is we won't trigger transcoding just due to HDR on a non HDR display but we are working towards that happening automatically so there shouldn't be a need for any sort of on-screen switch.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
neoskateur

Well I've tryed everything.

- With HDR tonemap enabled it's really dark on my monitor
- When I play a movie on my smartphone HDR10+ with or without the tonemap it's the same: the color is okay but dark, but when I press like the volume button, the screen lights up a bit
It's really different.
- On my TV without the tonemap the color is a bit different from PotPlayer, and ofc the PotPlayer its better. (using same stream)

So I think this switch should be a huge improvment in HDR support for people, or at least for me, we can even think about the switch giving the ability to trigger different tonemap.
But at least if we can have like PotPlayer, the HDR switch, it can be awesome.

Happy2Play
47 minutes ago, neoskateur said:

Well I've tryed everything.

Is this Software or Hardware HWA/Tone Mapping?

So you are saying you adjust the different algorithms? (Reinhard, Hable, Mobius)

But you will never get exact color comparison when Transcoding/Tone Mapping is involved or required.  As Direct play is totaly different when you are talking about other players.

Edited by Happy2Play

rbjtech

So two things -

a) What client is this being played on - touching the volume button should have no impact on the brightness of the screen.   Does it 'start' dark - or go dark after x minutes (ie power saving is kicking in).

b) If this is an HDR screen, it would have no need to tonemap - but if an SDR screen, then the default tonemap algorithm (Hable) is known to be dark - I have set all my tonemapping to use Mobius as it's much brighter - but with the risk of really bright scenes losing detail. 

c) Yes a 'tone map only' button would be great on the config.