Collections in a Client - Server Model

Spritzup

Spritzup

Good Morning,

I am in the slow process of migrating from Plex to Emby, and so far everything is going great (famous last words!).  I'm especially enjoying how Emby seems to have fully embraced the client - server model, allowing the server admin nearly complete control of the users, with the exception of settings that would be application specific.  However, the one thing that I can't seem to set is "Group Items into Collections."  This doesn't make sense to me, as it should be irrelevant of application (it displays as an item), and is a big piece of customization that a server admin can/would do.

All that to say, is there a setting that I'm missing?  If not, can this be added as a global per library setting?

Thanks in advance!

~Spritz

rbjtech

It's a fair observation - but I personally see this as a per user and/or per client setting.  Each App has a setting for this.

As an example - some users may prefer to see all the individual movies - others want to see a 'collection' poster instead and are happy to click it to expand the collection.

A further example of this is when users just use the A-Z picker to try and 'find' something - but they won't see it if it's buried in a collection.  It would show up in a search of course.

I guess emby is giving you the option - once set (to show collections) then you don't need to do it again for that user.

Happy2Play

Does the server know these items belong to a Collection?  If you click Collections library or Collections tab in a Movie library do you see Collections?

Spritzup
18 hours ago, Happy2Play said:

Does the server know these items belong to a Collection?  If you click Collections library or Collections tab in a Movie library do you see Collections?

I'm not sure if I follow your question.  They exist as collections in both the tab and library that is created.

~Spritz

Spritzup
19 hours ago, rbjtech said:

It's a fair observation - but I personally see this as a per user and/or per client setting.  Each App has a setting for this.

As an example - some users may prefer to see all the individual movies - others want to see a 'collection' poster instead and are happy to click it to expand the collection.

A further example of this is when users just use the A-Z picker to try and 'find' something - but they won't see it if it's buried in a collection.  It would show up in a search of course.

I guess emby is giving you the option - once set (to show collections) then you don't need to do it again for that user.

And your above example is a total valid use case that Emby currently supports.  Unfortunately Emby does not support my use case which (I feel) is equally valid.  As the server admin's, we should get to decide what the defaults are for our users.  To email out instructions (or to go to everyones house to change the settings) defeats the purpose of the server - client model that Emby has built.

~Spritz

• Agree 1

rbjtech
7 minutes ago, Spritzup said:

And your above example is a total valid use case that Emby currently supports.  Unfortunately Emby does not support my use case which (I feel) is equally valid.  As the server admin's, we should get to decide what the defaults are for our users.  To email out instructions (or to go to everyones house to change the settings) defeats the purpose of the server - client model that Emby has built.

~Spritz

Agree 100% - having that server option makes total sense.  I support that all the way.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Dan833 said:

According to this i don't think it will happen.

Hi.  Any browser cache issues wouldn't really have an impact on whether or not we implement that request.