Emby Apps Won't Read List Of Live TV Channels

DanTheTechMan

DanTheTechMan

Hello,

I've been a longtime Plex user and I recently switched to Emby as like many others I was very unhappy with the direction that Plex was taking their software. I spent the last week or so setting up my Emby Server (it wouldn't have taken so long if I was able to dedicate more time to it during the week). I was finally able to enjoy the fruits of my labor on Sunday however it wasn't too long before I started running into issues. My setup is as follows: Emby Server running on a Windows NAS, Emby Theater running on both my Windows Desktop and Laptop, the Emby Android app running on my phone, and the Emby Android TV app running on two Android STBs. The issue I'm currently running into is I can only load Live TV channels on the server that I access through a web browser on my desktop (I have not tried this on my laptop). On the Emby Theater app on my desktop as well as all three Android apps I cannot load the list of Live TV channels and therefore can't watch any of them on any of those devices. For Live TV I currently use a URL to an M3U file for the TV Channels themselves and a URL to an XMLTV file for the EPG. Since it works fine on the server itself I don't believe it's an issue with the Live TV setup. I will mention that I unsuccessfully tried to set up HTTPS and gave up on that for now as I am unwilling to pay for two separate domains (I already have my own website and  created a subdomain on that website to access my Emby Server but was unsuccessful at getting access to my Emby Server through that subdomain). I have tried to load the apps on every device by both connecting to my server directly as well as through Emby Connect however neither method works on any device I tried. Any assistance or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Hello DanTheTechMan,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

15 hours ago, DanTheTechMan said:

I cannot load the list of Live TV channels

Hi and welcome!  Exactly what do you mean by the above?  What are you doing and what is happening?

Thanks.

DanTheTechMan

I try to load the "Live TV" section of my server from the Android TV app on either of my two Android STBs to load the list of channels and I get an error saying "Unable to load the list of live TV channels" and then get a subsequent error saying "Unable to communicate with theserver". Keep in mind everything else on my server loads fine on the Android TV apps. Previously I was also having a similar issue with the Emby Theater desktop app for Windows (it wouldn't load the list of Live TV channels either; I would click on the "Live TV" option and then the app would remain pretty much blank with no indication it was loading anything). The issue with Emby theater has seemed to have subsided (at least for now) possibly due to an update from version 3.0.15 to 3.0.16 however the issue with the Emby Android TV app still remains (now it seems that whenever I try to load Live TV on the Android TV app it "crashes" that part of the server and I can't load Live TV at all on any app (the server itself remains fine) until it recovers (when this happened to me it took about an hour). I forgot to mention in my initial post I'm running the latest stable release of Emby Server and version 2.0.78g of the Android TV app. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is however I'm guessing it has something to do with the Android TV app (possibly the timeout period for loading the Live TV channels list).

Edited by DanTheTechMan

DanTheTechMan

That works as well. I'm using the latest version from the Play Store on my phone. I just opened the app on my phone and it loads the list of TV channels fine. I also attempted to play a channel and it loaded and started playing without any issues. So the only issue I'm currently facing with playback is with Live TV on The Android TV app on BOTH of my Android STBs. 

Hi.  How many channels are we talking about?

3 hours ago, DanTheTechMan said:

I try to load the "Live TV" section of my server from the Android TV app on either of my two Android STBs to load the list of channels and I get an error saying "Unable to load the list of live TV channels"

Can you please make this happen and then  follow the instructions to send a log from the app?

Thanks.

DanTheTechMan

I just sent the logs from my main Android STB (logs were sent on 08/16/2022 at 08:02pm EDT). All I did was wait load the Emby Android TV app and wait for the error message to pop up before sending the logs. The user logged into the server is "Admin" however I'm logged into the Android TV app as "Dan".

Yes, it is timing out.

I/System.out(31428): Error retrieving live tv channels
I/System.out(31428): VolleyError com.android.volley.TimeoutError: 

How many channels do you have?

DanTheTechMan

I have not counted but quite a few. I believe it happens after about 15 seconds which is not nearly enough time. Is there any way you could extend the timeout period to 5 minutes or remove the timeout period completely? I know it's a big ask however I feel like I can't be the only one with this issue.

Edited by DanTheTechMan

The current time-out is 45 seconds.  If you can pare down your channels to only the ones you actually care about, that should help.  Otherwise, the standard app should work fine for you.

DanTheTechMan

I had the standard Android app installed on both of my Android STBs before switching to the Android TV app. The reason I switched to the Android TV app (and prefer to stay on it) is the standard Android app hangs on the Emby logo and won't load any further on at least one of my Android STBs (it won't even load the logon screen). I was able to get the list of live TV channels to load on one of my Android STBs however I was not able to get any channels to play (I did not have much time to tinker with anything last night so I will go more in depth tonight).

1 minute ago, DanTheTechMan said:

I had the standard Android app installed on both of my Android STBs before switching to the Android TV app. The reason I switched to the Android TV app (and prefer to stay on it) is the standard Android app hangs on the Emby logo and won't load any further on at least one of my Android STBs (it won't even load the logon screen). I was able to get the list of live TV channels to load on one of my Android STBs however I was not able to get any channels to play (I did not have much time to tinker with anything last night so I will go more in depth tonight).

Can you try it again by downloading the latest version? Thanks !

1 minute ago, DanTheTechMan said:

I downloaded the APK directly from the Emby website a week ago. Was a new version released since then?

Yes there was.

38 minutes ago, Luke said:

And then provide a log from the app by following these instructions: 

Thanks !

DanTheTechMan

I can't provide a log form an app I can't get into. I am not able to log into my server or use the app at all.  This is the first and only thing I see when opening the app:image.thumb.png.b51f29083465e5f37c4890cdad376114.png

8 minutes ago, DanTheTechMan said:

I can't provide a log form an app I can't get into. I am not able to log into my server or use the app at all.  This is the first and only thing I see when opening the app:image.thumb.png.b51f29083465e5f37c4890cdad376114.png

You can provide the app log by following the instructions I gave you locate the log file. That will help tell me how far it got which may help resolve the issue. Thanks.

DanTheTechMan

I went to the path as described in the instructions you sent me however that directory is completely empty. There isn't even a "logs" folder. See the attached picture for reference:

image.thumb.png.ca140bdf67c0c84a811fc64479872b56.png

What version number? The dropbox build is the only build that will create a log file, so that is why you need to install that specific one, at least until we add a logging option into the app. Thanks.