Alexa music playlists

Traction Tim

Traction Tim

Hi again,

So I have one MP3 music playlist called "Music" that I can play from Emby on my NAS to any Alexa speaker in the house. I say:

"Alexa, ask M.B.Home to play playlist Music." This works.

What I can't do is add more playlists. So I just created one called "One". I go and scan for changes to my library "Playlists". Then I say:

"Alexa, ask M.B.Home to play playlist One.".  It responds "I could not find one. You can try to specify a media type like play song X." or "I could not find any Emby player available...". One time it started "One" on the pc I am working from.

If I try the first "Music" playlist again, it will work and play on the Alexa dot.

Can I only have a single music playlist called "Music" ? Am I doing something wrong here ? I must be missing something 😧

I had a quick look on the NAS (Synology DS920+) in the music folder, but the playlist is not in there. @cayars

Hi Tim,

I would try and rename the "One" to something not so generic like a number as that could be throwing it off. Try renaming it Jams or "Tim" and see if it will play it then.

Let us know how you make out.

Carlo

Traction Tim

Hi, I tried it with a playlist called "Tim", and a playlist called "Special", and it was the same as before. I re-scanned the playlist library, and no change. It will only play the "Music" playlist.

I can't see the working playlist "Music" on the NAS, but I found it in the "Emby backup" folder on the NAS with the other playlists that I created. I opened up the playlist.xml files, for the working "Music" playlist and another playlist, and they look very similar with file paths etc.

Thanks for checking,

Tim

@cayars

This is something a dev is likely going to need to check.

I've not set back up Google or Alexa after moving some servers around so I'm going to reset Alexa and do a little testing as well.

Tim, did you happen to take a look at the log file to see if any of the Alexa requests were logged?

Carlo

Traction Tim

OK,

I said "Alexa, ask M.B.Home to play playlist Music" at 10:39. This played "theme from Love Story" (Other characters are Korean and show as special characters in Emby) on the Alexa speaker:

2022-08-20 10:39:27.393 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app Alexa 1.1 playing (¿µÈ­À½¾Ç)-·¯ºê½ºÅ丮theme From Love Story. Started at 0 ms

I stopped it after a few seconds.

I then asked it "Alexa, ask M.B.Home to play playlist Tim" at 10:41 and it said "Music is currently playing" even though it had stopped. I asked Emby to stop. I asked again at 10:42 to play "Tim" and it started playing playlist "Tim" on the pc rather than the Alexa speaker.

2022-08-20 10:42:38.700 Info SessionManager: Playback start reported by app Emby Web 4.7.6.0 playing (everything I do) I do it for you. Started at 0 ms

So, it can find playlist "Tim", but it can't play it on the Alexa dot, even if I say "Alexa, ask M.B.Home to play playlist Tim on this device". It responds "Sorry, I'm having trouble accessing your Emby skill right now.".

embyserver.txt

Note: I have multiple Alexa dots around the house, so I didn't want to set a default player - I just want it to work on the Alexa speaker in the same room.

Edited by Traction Tim