Emby server working last night, stopped working today.

bluesuedeuk
Go to solution Solved by bluesuedeuk,

bluesuedeuk

Emby has simply stopped working for me (remote & local access) as of this morning (15 Aug '22). There have been no changes that I'm aware of since it was working last night and I'm hoping someone can provide a solution as I'm not an expert but I've tried a few thing so far:

1. Uninstalled Port Mapper  1.1.8.0 and restart - no change

2. Re-installed Port Mapper 1.1.8.0 and restart - no change

3. Downloaded and installed Emby Server 4.7.6.0 from website - no change

A couple of things I've noticed - Emby now takes much longer to shut down or restart with the spinning 'busy' graphic showing and also in the top left of the dashboard home page it no longer shows In-Home (LAN) access, only Remote (WAN) access - see attached image.

I've attached the log file and really hope someone can help as I love this brilliant software!

Thanks.

Capture.JPG

embyserver (2).txt

• Solution
bluesuedeuk

UPDATE - It seems my Avast AV software's firewall has blocked it, at least, if I disable it Emby starts working again. Must have been an overnight update as I didn't change anything.

bluesuedeuk

I'm still not 100% sure lol. It stopped working again even with the firewall disabled so I've now completely disabled Avast (all shields) and it's back up and running again. Does anyone know if there's a recent compatibility issue between Emby & Avast? Should I switch to Windows Defender? Thanks again.

Hi, I'm not aware of anything, but @cayars can try it out and report a false positive to them if needed. Thanks for reporting.

On 8/15/2022 at 9:22 AM, bluesuedeuk said:

I'm still not 100% sure lol. It stopped working again even with the firewall disabled so I've now completely disabled Avast (all shields) and it's back up and running again. Does anyone know if there's a recent compatibility issue between Emby & Avast? Should I switch to Windows Defender? Thanks again.

One of the things you can do with most if not any anti-virus/malware  program is set exclusions for certain folders so they don't get scanned on every use.  I do this for Emby's Install directory as well as my media folders. This is normally in a section for adjusting real-time use.  If I can exclude it for real-time use I'll leave it out of normal scanning that happens once or twice a week scanning everything.

Just so you know, on Windows there really isn't a reason to run any other anti-virus program other than MS Defender.  It normally scores the highest on different independent tests. A good combination to go with this on Windows is Malware Bytes.  The free version setup to run on schedule should be fine.

@bluesuedeuk Have you checked the log files for AV to see what it's been blocking?  That would be the first thing to do.

bluesuedeuk

Thanks for the reply, I've been using Avast since forever but I'll try Windows Defender and hopefully that will fix the issue.

• Thanks 1