4K audio sync issues when resuming movie with LG emby app on LG C1 TV

nickbuol
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

nickbuol

Just got a LG C1 TV and promptly installed the emby app for it.  It plays 1080p content perfect, and 4K movies mostly work (different story with Aladdin 2019), but when I play a movie and then pause or stop it part way in, turn off the TV or go to another app, when I come back to resume the audio is out of sync significantly. (NOTE:  I CAN pause the movie and resume just fine as long as I don't exit the emby app.)  It isn't correctable within the "audio-sync" function of the TV, and even when messing with that, it then makes everything else in all other apps out-of-sync.  It is off by almost 1 second.  If I start the movie over, it is fine.  This also happens when fast forwarding, rewinding, skipping chapters, etc.

It does it with every 4K movie I have.  They are all ripped using MakeMKV with no additional compression.  I am on my home wifi (it is hot here in Florida and I need to run a cat6 cable to the TV area.  We've only been here a few months, so I haven't gotten to it yet.) but don't have buffering issues.

Movies play back completely 100% fine on my desktop, laptop (on wifi) cell phone both at home and off of my home network.  None of them have this audio out-of-sync issue.  It wouldn't be a massive deal if I could at least pause a movie, note where I was when I went to resume it, start over, and fact forward to that location, but like I mentioned, anything but straight playback without exiting the emby app and resuming it later has this issue.

Any thoughts?  

nickbuol
On 8/10/2022 at 11:55 AM, Luke said:

@nickbuol 

Hi there, let's look at an example. Please attach the information requested in how to report a media playback issue. Thanks!

@Luke

I can't shows screenshots of audio/video sync issues, so I did a video and made it unlisted on YouTube.  Sorry for the glare on the TV.  That is a problem with OLED TV, lol.  I am also attaching the log file.  Here are the notes with timestamps from the video.

0:00 startup of resumed Ghostbusters Afterlife at around 4:07pm eastern (my local time) so that you know where this starts in the log.  I did play part of this right before that to confirm that I could replicate the issue.

Problem only happens with 4K movies on this new LG C1 (just replaced with the C2 model, but this is a new TV).

0:50 - Shows me resuming a movie after pausing it previously and shutting off the TV.  Audio is distinctly out of sync.

1:18 starting the movie from the beginning and audio is completely in sync.  I just can't pause and resume later (turn off the tv, switch to something else and come back to the movie) or fast forward or rewind.  But it will play straight through fine and pause fine as long as I resume without exiting from the movie in emby within a few minutes.

5:16I fast forward a little bit, and it is very slightly off in person but not evident in the youtube recording  

4:43 I fast forward a little more and the audio is very out of sync just like at the beginning.  Live it is out of sync more than the youtube video shows.  

6:09 is where it would be 4:13:20 PM eastern in the log file on August 10, 2022

I'm running what it says is the latest Emby Server V 4.7.6.0.  the Emby app on the TV was just installed about a week ago and should be current.

Recap of issue:

When playing back 4K content (1080p is completely fine), if I fast forward or rewind the audio gets very out of sync. 

If I pause a 4K movie, exit out of Emby, or turn off the TV, and come back at any time to resume that movie, the audio is very out of sync.  

If I play a 4K movie straight through, it is perfect.  If I pause it and resume it a few minutes later, it is perfect.  It seems to only be fast forwarding/rewinding or if I don't continue the movie after pressing pause but do ANYTHING else (switch to a different movie in the Emby app, switch apps on my TV to anything else, or turn off the TV) when I come back to that movie and select resume from in Emby, it is way out of sync.

Thanks.

embyserver.txt

Edited by nickbuol

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2022 at 4:51 PM, nickbuol said:

@Luke

I can't shows screenshots of audio/video sync issues, so I did a video and made it unlisted on YouTube.  Sorry for the glare on the TV.  That is a problem with OLED TV, lol.  I am also attaching the log file.  Here are the notes with timestamps from the video.

0:00 startup of resumed Ghostbusters Afterlife at around 4:07pm eastern (my local time) so that you know where this starts in the log.  I did play part of this right before that to confirm that I could replicate the issue.

Problem only happens with 4K movies on this new LG C1 (just replaced with the C2 model, but this is a new TV).

0:50 - Shows me resuming a movie after pausing it previously and shutting off the TV.  Audio is distinctly out of sync.

1:18 starting the movie from the beginning and audio is completely in sync.  I just can't pause and resume later (turn off the tv, switch to something else and come back to the movie) or fast forward or rewind.  But it will play straight through fine and pause fine as long as I resume without exiting from the movie in emby within a few minutes.

5:16I fast forward a little bit, and it is very slightly off in person but not evident in the youtube recording  

4:43 I fast forward a little more and the audio is very out of sync just like at the beginning.  Live it is out of sync more than the youtube video shows.  

6:09 is where it would be 4:13:20 PM eastern in the log file on August 10, 2022

I'm running what it says is the latest Emby Server V 4.7.6.0.  the Emby app on the TV was just installed about a week ago and should be current.

Recap of issue:

When playing back 4K content (1080p is completely fine), if I fast forward or rewind the audio gets very out of sync. 

If I pause a 4K movie, exit out of Emby, or turn off the TV, and come back at any time to resume that movie, the audio is very out of sync.  

If I play a 4K movie straight through, it is perfect.  If I pause it and resume it a few minutes later, it is perfect.  It seems to only be fast forwarding/rewinding or if I don't continue the movie after pressing pause but do ANYTHING else (switch to a different movie in the Emby app, switch apps on my TV to anything else, or turn off the TV) when I come back to that movie and select resume from in Emby, it is way out of sync.

Thanks.

embyserver.txt 1.04 MB · 1 download

OK, this should be resolved for the next update to the Emby LG app, which is currently in LG review. Thanks.

• Like 1

nickbuol
13 hours ago, Luke said:

OK, this should be resolved for the next update to the Emby LG app, which is currently in LG review. Thanks.

Thanks @Luke  I'll keep my eyes open for the approved app update.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 11:42 PM, 7reddevil11 said:

hi  same situation with this issue. have u solved this problem?

Hi, we are working on getting a new app update released to the LG store. Thanks.

• 1 month later...
45 minutes ago, ikatsuke said:

Any news on when a new version will be released?

Hi, as soon as it gets through LG review.

• 1 month later...
  • Solution

Emby for LG TV's 1.0.37 has been released. Stay tuned to the blog for the release announcement.

Can you please try out the new update and let us know how it compares? Thanks !

• 2 weeks later...
nickbuol

I had to find an alternative way to watch my movies via Emby since it was 5 months ago that I reported the problem (I know a lot of the waiting time was on LG) so I started using an NVIDIA Shield, but I did go back into the TV and update its Emby app and tried it out.  The audio seems to be in sync now and the issues I reported have been repaired.  I only tested 3 movies, but they were the ones that were used before when I reported the issue.

LG's interface is so slow vs the Shield, so I likely won't go back to the Emby app for LG at this point, but I did want to circle back that it looks like it fixed the issues.  Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1