Manually generating thumbnails possible?

srhuston

srhuston

I'm running Emby Server 4.6.7.0 (the version available from the Synology package center) and have been loving it!  I recently realized why I'd want thumbnails on my content, and told the server to generate them as things are added and as a scheduled job which it did fine.  However, I notice both on my server, and from searching these forums, that multi-part movies are not handled properly.  For example, my copy of Live Aid is four discs, and so it's in four parts, but only part 1 gets thumbnails generated.  It seems this is because there's a general feeling that one should concatenate all the parts together into a single large movie, but I'm not sure why I should when the server supports multiple parts anyway and they're logical breaks (not due to some arbitrary file size or external limitation).

So is there a way to run a command from the Synology command line to manually create the .bif files that are needed?  I'm not afraid of commandlines (I live in them all day for work) I just don't know what the command is to run since I didn't catch it when it was making thumbs before.

HI, yes I think multi-part movies may have been overlooked with this feature and it's something that will need addressing. Thanks for reporting.

srhuston
5 hours ago, FrostByte said:

If you like command line can't you just download the biftool from GitHub

BIF file creation using the Roku BIF tool | Roku Developer

I believe there are some scripts already written here in the forum also

Now that I know what to look for, I might give that a shot and see what kind of trouble I can create.  Thanks :D

Based on Luke's comment above it sounds like it is something that may get an overall fix, but I don't mind rolling up my sleeves if I can get it sooner.

• Like 1

FrostByte

Check out the Tools and Utilities section of the forum also.  I know there is at least one script in there.  It may be for Windows, but I'm sure you can either point it to you NAS folders, or rework it some to actually run on the NAS

srhuston

Bleh.  So since I had a small number of these to deal with, I thought I know what I'll do, I'll move all the parts to a temporary directory, and move them in one at a time, have Emby generate the bif file, then move it away, repeat until it's done them all for me and move everything back.  Brilliant!  So I started with a single one, "An Evening With Kevin Smith" and moved part1 out of the way, rescanned the directory, it found the file and helpfully created a bif, moved things back so it would be correct again.. and part2 doesn't have thumbs when scrubbing anyway.  So I guess there's some other glue missing in the server to make it work too.

Ah well, I'll just be patient until it's fixed and have to refrain from having thumbnails for the like five things in my library this actually affects.  Poor me I'll have to watch all of Quadrophenia instead of scrubbing right to Bell Boy... :D

• Thanks 1