VPN problems

Chalklands

Chalklands

I have kodi installed on a Nvidia Shield with Emby for Kodi. The Emby sever is on a windows 11 laptop. Connected via my home wifi.

All was working fine.

Decided to install a VPN on the Shield.

When the VPN is running I get an 'Your access to Emby is restricted' message.

In simple words, what do I need to do to connect to the emby server on my laptop when the VPN is running? I'm not very savvy with VPNs etc so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

quickmic
1 hour ago, Chalklands said:

I have kodi installed on a Nvidia Shield with Emby for Kodi. The Emby sever is on a windows 11 laptop. Connected via my home wifi.

All was working fine.

Decided to install a VPN on the Shield.

When the VPN is running I get an 'Your access to Emby is restricted' message.

In simple words, what do I need to do to connect to the emby server on my laptop when the VPN is running? I'm not very savvy with VPNs etc so any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Which version of Emby for Kodi?

quickmic

ok, not sure why this happen but usually it helps to reset the device ID via plugins config menu.

Also reconnect to emby server also via plugins config menu.

If still issues, try to remove the device from Emby server and once again reconnect via plugin config menu.

Chalklands

Well no success. Still getting access restricted message.

With VPN running:

In the emby for kodi addon I go to:

Configure

Connect to Server.

A box pops up with sign in with emby connect/manually add server/cancel

I select 'Sign in with Emby Connect'

I enter emby connect username and password and click on Sign In

A box pops up to select main server

I select the main server from the list (there is only one)

The screen returns to the addon. The access to emby is restricted message is still there. If I restart kodi, the same.

If I try manually adding a server, the exact same thing happens. I log in OK but the message is still there.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the addon which makes no difference.

. I don't understand why this process doesn't work. With the VPN off everything works fine.

quickmic
2 minutes ago, Chalklands said:

Well no success. Still getting access restricted message.

With VPN running:

In the emby for kodi addon I go to:

Configure

Connect to Server.

A box pops up with sign in with emby connect/manually add server/cancel

I select 'Sign in with Emby Connect'

I enter emby connect username and password and click on Sign In

A box pops up to select main server

I select the main server from the list (there is only one)

The screen returns to the addon. The access to emby is restricted message is still there. If I restart kodi, the same.

If I try manually adding a server, the exact same thing happens. I log in OK but the message is still there.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the addon which makes no difference.

. I don't understand why this process doesn't work. With the VPN off everything works fine.

Try using a "regular" user not emby connect. Emby connect adds an extra layer, makes it much harder to debug.

Chalklands
2 hours ago, quickmic said:

Try using a "regular" user not emby connect. Emby connect adds an extra layer, makes it much harder to debug.

Tried using a regular login (manually entering server address) user name/password etc. It kind of worked but then messed up my music library & kodi kept crashing..

I've given up on it. Kodi keeps crashing and that damn restricted popup keeps appearing. Everything else works fine except anything linked to emby. Not particularly happy but just one of those things I suppose. It might just be my VPN, who knows.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Edited by Chalklands

quickmic
11 hours ago, Chalklands said:

Tried using a regular login (manually entering server address) user name/password etc. It kind of worked but then messed up my music library & kodi kept crashing..

I've given up on it. Kodi keeps crashing and that damn restricted popup keeps appearing. Everything else works fine except anything linked to emby. Not particularly happy but just one of those things I suppose. It might just be my VPN, who knows.

Thanks for your help anyway.

Welcome, you can send me a kodi.log for review. Maybe I find the issue, up to you.

Chalklands
10 hours ago, quickmic said:

Welcome, you can send me a kodi.log for review. Maybe I find the issue, up to you.

I've had to do a complete reinstall of Kodi so I'll leave the VPN for now thanks.

• Like 1