Portable Install Upgrade Removes Emby Folder

learnbyflying

learnbyflying

Thought this was rather odd, during the upgrade from 4.7.5.0 to 4.7.6.0 Emby portable removed itself completely. 

Some background: I run Emby on a Hyper-V VM which is domain joined and to ensure Emby starts when the server is restarted I have it using an interactive domain user account which has administrative privilege's on the server but cannot login via RDP and is blocked from logging in anywhere else on the network. 

I have installed Emby at C:\Emby\... and have a scheduled task to start C:\Emby\EmbyServer.exe at server start under the above user account which has been working great. The scheduled task remembers the password for the user account and for the last few weeks haven't had any issues since this approach has been implemented. Prior to this I was using my account as the task but this doesn't always work as with a domain the Kerberos ticket doesn't always keep Emby alive as I do other things on the network. 

I saw the update available, and logging into the server via RDP under my domain account (domain admin privilege's) ran the upgrade which is where I think things go wrong as Emby doesn't understand how to restart the .exe under the same account or it attempts the upgrade running from the Emby user account and attempts to finish under my account. 

I wanted to get Emby up and running as fast as possible today so I installed per the normal install process (non-portable) and the Emby user can still run the .exe although I will swap back to a portable when I have more time and a few tests under my belt. Plus with premiere I can restore from my Emby backup, or could have restored from the overnight VM backup.

I think to solve this issue, is to not install upgrades automatically but instead look at the notification and then:

• Shutdown Emby
  • Start Emby under my user account profile
  • Perform the Emby update
  • Restart Emby
  • Shutdown Emby
  • Restart the server to kick off the Windows scheduled task to start the server under the service account. 

I'd love to hear thoughts on why might this occur or if someone else has had this occur and what they are doing to mitigate. 

-Tom

Hello learnbyflying,

** This is an auto reply **

Please wait for someone from staff support or our members to reply to you.

It's recommended to provide more info, as it explain in this thread:

Thank you.

Emby Team

learnbyflying
3 minutes ago, Luke said:

HI, what folder exactly disappeared, the c:\emby?

Yes, the entire folder C:\Emby\ disappeared, the Emby user had full writes to that folder. 

Happy2Play
4 hours ago, learnbyflying said:

C:\Emby\EmbyServer.exe

I assume this is a typo as the exe would not reside in that location.

Have not run into an issue with legacy or new structure but don't run in VM environment or scheduled task.

image.png.2e3560722639aadb28a29ef5a8ffb2be.png

image.png.fb4cac213c434d7d95eae51da56f38d9.png

learnbyflying
31 minutes ago, Happy2Play said:

I assume this is a typo as the exe would not reside in that location.

Have not run into an issue with legacy or new structure but don't run in VM environment or scheduled task.

Not a typo, I placed the portable installation into the C:\Emby folder after creation as I didn’t want the install into a user specific directory. 

Happy2Play
6 minutes ago, learnbyflying said:

Not a typo, I placed the portable installation into the C:\Emby folder after creation as I didn’t want the install into a user specific directory. 

Would need to see exactly but sounds like you are breaking the "system" folder as it is self-contained.  As the exe is never in a folder besides "system".