Emby duplicates backdrops when you increase backdrop DL limit

lolque

lolque

Emby 4.7.6.0 using official Docker image.

The default image fetcher setting is to only download 1 backdrop per series. I increased this limit to 3 backdrops (for variety), however during the next metadata scan, Emby re-downloaded the same backdrop that it had downloaded previously, leading to duplicates across all my series.

Separately, Emby names the backdrop differently when you do a metadata scan vs initial import.

image.thumb.png.ec05dcc8480c03a5e96eb3179178f37a.png

pwhodges

If you have more than one image source (and maybe even with a single source) it is common to have multiple images which are visually identical - but Emby has no way to know that.

For instance, here are the backdrops I see for the series you illustrate:

image.jpeg.7a555e0fdd1c41787ba6dac0ed477682.jpeg

Your best bet to avoid duplicates is probably to select only a single source of images.

Paul

lolque

I only have one image source (TVDB) and there aren't any duplicate images on TVDB for this series.

This is consistently reproducible if you set the amount of backdrops to fetch to 1, import a new series, set backdrops to 3, refresh metadata.

Hi.  Your image is showing what actually exists on your server.  Can you please show the same search dialog that PW did?

If you look in the actual media folder, do you have one named "fanart.jpg" and then others named "backdrop1" "backdrop2" etc?

Or, possibly, this is related to you NOT having the save images with media option selected but you DO have a fanart.jpg alongside the media?

Happy2Play

Yes there appears to be something going on here with these images as the information is different.

image.png.b05f157021e21b126e6f7495d0877321.png

But have not been able to reproduce image duplication unless images come from two provider sites.

lolque

This is easily reproducible with the steps I provided. Here's a video using the official Docker container. All I did was create the following directory structure "/tmp/library/The Eccentric Family/Season 1" so that Emby would have something to fetch metadata for.

pünktchen

The only bug i see is fanart vs. backdrop but not the duplicated images. How should Emby know what image was previously downloaded or provided by the user?

• Agree 1

On 8/6/2022 at 9:55 AM, ebr said:

Or, possibly, this is related to you NOT having the save images with media option selected but you DO have a fanart.jpg alongside the media?

Hi.  I see in your video that you do not have that option selected.  Can you confirm whether or not there is a backdrop/fanart image alongside the item in the media folder?

lolque

All I did was create the following directory structure "/tmp/library/The Eccentric Family/Season 1" so that Emby would have something to fetch metadata for.

There is nothing in the folder. Not even the media itself.

7 hours ago, pünktchen said:

The only bug i see is fanart vs. backdrop but not the duplicated images. How should Emby know what image was previously downloaded or provided by the user?

We try to avoid it by looking at byte sizes. That's really the only way.

Happy2Play

Honestly do not know as I followed the exact same steps/settings from video on my Windows stable and beta servers and did not get duplicate images. 

Nothing with media

image.png.d9a5d76b1939f09883cc9efa03358253.png

Will assume a timing difference as I do not get this fanart/backdrop naming mismatch.

image.png.6d9197ebf3b6b22e17113212ba7538c1.png

• 3 weeks later...

If download images in advance is unchecked, then you will be more likely to get duplicates. But of course if it is checked, you'll have longer library scans.

23 minutes ago, lolque said:

Did you find what the cause of the duplicates are?

Is this the recommended workaround for this issue?

I thought I kind of already spelled it out - there is no way for us to know for sure that a new image will be a duplicate. We do our best to make a good guess by looking at file sizes in bytes.

Generally this works pretty well as long as you only have one image fetcher enabled.