Subtitle Issues with SOME Files

ActsofMan
Go to solution Solved by softworkz,

ActsofMan

Hello,

Been using Emby for awhile, but certain files won't play the subtitles even though there is the option for them. The subtitles will show up on Plex and my PC, but not Emby. 

This relates to MKV files with ASS subtitles. I do have a LOG I can share too. Not sure what portion to post though.

Thanks for any help with this! 

Edited by ActsofMan
added info

image.png.afb230510b3a0e5683c566820f44fb05.png

Do you have this option switched to YES?

The Roku has minimal support for ASS/SSA when playing them as text files. The Roku will attempt to strip out formatting, fonts, etc and reduce it to just text to display. Sometimes the Roku removes too much and breaks the subtitles when doing this. For those times you can enable this option and force the Roku to burn these into the video stream. This will make the Roku respect the formatting, fonts, styling that most ASS/SSA subtitles include

ActsofMan
50 minutes ago, speechles said:

image.png.afb230510b3a0e5683c566820f44fb05.png

Do you have this option switched to YES?

The Roku has minimal support for ASS/SSA when playing them as text files. The Roku will attempt to strip out formatting, fonts, etc and reduce it to just text to display. Sometimes the Roku removes too much and breaks the subtitles when doing this. For those times you can enable this option and force the Roku to burn these into the video stream. This will make the Roku respect the formatting, fonts, styling that most ASS/SSA subtitles include

So I've tried having that off and on. When I have it switched on it won't even play the file unless I turn off the subtitles. It'll just keep doing the circling loading thing until it gives me a playback error. Which I thought was weird. Then if I turn it off the file will play fine, but the subtitles won't display. I just don't get why some MKV files with ASS subs are fine and others aren't. Could it be the way it's encoded or something??

Thank you btw!

11 hours ago, ActsofMan said:

When I have it switched on it won't even play the file

Hi.  Can we please see whatever logs are generated from that playback?

The one you posted looks like when you had the option off.

pwhodges

I have that movie with a different video track, but the same ass subtitles and fonts, and it plays OK for me in 4.8.0.7 with an updated Libass (I don't think that's in 4.7.0.6, but I could be wrong).

Paul

ActsofMan
20 hours ago, pwhodges said:

I have that movie with a different video track, but the same ass subtitles and fonts, and it plays OK for me in 4.8.0.7 with an updated Libass (I don't think that's in 4.7.0.6, but I could be wrong).

Paul

Oh ok! It's just weird it plays on Plex. So that would rule out a Roku issue right? Maybe i just need a new file then.

ActsofMan
10 hours ago, softworkz said:

The font error is known and will be fixed in the next beta.

(@pwhodges has an ffmpeg pre-release for testing this fix)

Oh thank you! So it's a font issue then?

pwhodges

Assuming your problem is the same as mine was, yes.  I only found one series that used a font giving the problem, but there may have been others which I didn't play using transcoding while the problem was in place, and maybe another one or two a while ago that were never diagnosed.

Paul