Question About Network Shares

cptbrainia
Go to solution Solved by cptbrainia,

cptbrainia

I'm not exactly certain what happened.  Everything in Emby was working just fine before I left on vacation at the end of June.  I came back several days ago and Emby seems busted.

I'm missing images from TV Shows and Movies.  For TV shows, it seems to impact the entire series.  For example, The Boys (Home Page > Continue Watching) is showing a broken link.  When I click on the series, the main image is showing a broken link as are all of the Season images.  Going into a season, most of the episodes also show broken images.

The same thing with Movies.

I can't really see any rhyme or reason as to what is "broken" and what is not.  Out of almost 1,200 movies, I would say maybe 1/3 are "broken."  Out of 130 TV Shows, it looks like roughly half are "broken."

Additionally, streaming seems to not be working quite right.  I haven't done extensive testing, but just as an example, a TV show will play fine on a PC with the Emby app, but not play on the browser and not play on a Roku.  Error in the browser is "Playback Error. No compatible streams are currently available.  Please try again later or contact your system administrator for details."

I've got Emby running on a Windows VM with libraries split between the VM and a Synology NAS.  Neither box had any changes made to them and neither had been power cycled, restarted, etc. (everything is on UPS power and monitored).  I believe only Emby automatic updates occured.

I have the option selected to store images, NFO files, etc., locally with the media.  Those are there and fine; Emby just doesn't seem to be utilizing them.

The only troubleshooting I've performed so far is:

1. Restarted Emby 

2. Restarted VM 

3. Confirmed library type (e.g. TV Shows shows as a TV Shows library)

4. Rescanned TV Shows library

All actions produced no change.

Any ideas on where to start?

Untitled picture.png

Untitled picture.png

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-directstream-7b3e93ff-e8fe-41cc-9032-5a5f13665ac5_1.txt

2022-08-04 15:34:55.012 Error Server: Error processing request
	*** Error Report ***
	Version: 4.7.6.0
	Command line: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system\EmbyServer.dll -noautorunwebapp
	Operating system: Microsoft Windows 10.0.17763
	Framework: .NET 6.0.7
	OS/Process: x64/x64
	Runtime: C:/Users/Administrator/AppData/Roaming/Emby-Server/system/System.Private.CoreLib.dll
	Processor count: 8
	Data path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\programdata
	Application path: C:\Users\Administrator\AppData\Roaming\Emby-Server\system
	System.IO.IOException: System.IO.IOException: You can't access this shared folder because your organization's security policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network. : '\\[Synology hostname]\extmedia\TVShows\The Boys (2019)\season02-poster.jpg'

Hi, this is due to the reason that you see in the log snippet I've posted above. I've renamed this topic to prevent other users from seeing it and thinking that there's a problem with the server.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks.

@cptbrainia has this helped you resolve the issue? Rule of thumb, make sure you can access this file in windows explorer on the server machine:

\\[Synology hostname]\extmedia\TVShows\The Boys (2019)\season02-poster.jpg

Because if you can't then Emby Server will not be able to either.

• Solution
cptbrainia

Issue was resolved by reversing a change Windows made:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyatMj1Z2NQ

Also, just my $.02, but it's better to leave the topic named what it was as it described the problem I was having.  Had I come across "Question About Network Shares" in my searching for a solution, I would have never even bothered looking at it as I was having a problem with thumbnails being gone/videos not playing and I would have had no interest in reading about someone else's "questions about network shares."

• Thanks 1