Add text box to enter alternate movie name when getting subtitles

AlPilon

AlPilon

I have found that many movies return 'no subtitle found' when searching because of the existence of spaces, dashes, semi-colons, etc. in the movie name. The actual movie file name must then be played with to try to find the proper subtitles, which then messes with the other files and the database itself. A simple solution would be a new textbox included on the subtitle search page with the normal movie name info defaulted in, but then could be edited to aid in finding a subtitle if the normal name returned no results. This should be a simple fix, but would greatly add to the ease of use for retrieving subtitle files.

Edited by AlPilon
spelling
  • Like 2

AlPilon

OK. For instance, I have the Naked Gun movies with the following names:

The Naked Gun 2 1.2.mkv

The Naked Gun 33 1.3.mkv

Both of these return 'No results found', but both of these have many subtitles on OpenSubtitles.org.

Another is The Navigator A Mediaeval Odyssey.mkv. On OpenSubtitles, it is listed as The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey.

There have been others, but I modified the file name until it returned a result. I can't really remember which ones they were.

Thanks for the quick response.

Edited by AlPilon
Added additional example

• 2 weeks later...

@AlPilon in the emby metadata editor do you have an imdb id set for these titles? Try filling those in and then see if that helps with your opensubtitles results.

• 1 month later...

Hello

If added This feature will help a lot, for example in plex if didn't find subtitle automatically, you change the name (you put the name in subtitle search box it will find it for you) sometimes one movie has multiple titles and imdb id search won't find it

Thanks

Edited by Awara

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
KenLinder

There are a lot of things lacking in the way that subtitles are currently handled. I love that EMBY can use opensubtitles to just search for them, but when I already have a subtitle file (which matches the file name format perfectly) the EBMY server ignores it entirely. VLC (on any device in the house) and our OLED TV & our old media player boxes can see and use those files automatically. But EMBY ignores the subtitle files.

To make this worse there is no BROWSE button to let you just go select a file you already have. You can only grab them off of the web. You should be able to hit BROWSE, get an explorer window that is already in the same directory as your video file.

For instance if I have these files :

Supernatural - S06 - E10 - (Caged Heat).mp4
    Supernatural - S06 - E10 - (Caged Heat).srt

And they are all in "C:\Files\Video\Series\Supernatural"

If I create a library that includes the directory "C:\Files\Video\Series\Supernatural" EMBY notices the video file, but not the (perfectly matched in name) subtitle file. The only way I can get EMBY to notice the file I already have is to use the "Edit Subtitles" page and have it go search the internet (opensubtitles) for a new srt & then grab ANY of them. After EMBY has the new file it will list TWO srt files (finally noticing the properly formatted name which was there the entire time).

But then you have TWO srt files, so you kill the one you just imported (it's the only way to get the server to notice the srt file).

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/14/2022 at 12:40 AM, KenLinder said:

There are a lot of things lacking in the way that subtitles are currently handled. I love that EMBY can use opensubtitles to just search for them, but when I already have a subtitle file (which matches the file name format perfectly) the EBMY server ignores it entirely. VLC (on any device in the house) and our OLED TV & our old media player boxes can see and use those files automatically. But EMBY ignores the subtitle files.

To make this worse there is no BROWSE button to let you just go select a file you already have. You can only grab them off of the web. You should be able to hit BROWSE, get an explorer window that is already in the same directory as your video file.

For instance if I have these files :

And they are all in "C:\Files\Video\Series\Supernatural"

If I create a library that includes the directory "C:\Files\Video\Series\Supernatural" EMBY notices the video file, but not the (perfectly matched in name) subtitle file. The only way I can get EMBY to notice the file I already have is to use the "Edit Subtitles" page and have it go search the internet (opensubtitles) for a new srt & then grab ANY of them. After EMBY has the new file it will list TWO srt files (finally noticing the properly formatted name which was there the entire time).

But then you have TWO srt files, so you kill the one you just imported (it's the only way to get the server to notice the srt file).

Hi @KenLinder why do you think Emby doesn't notice the subtitle file? This example should work perfectly:

Did you run a library scan after adding the subtitle file?

• 1 month later...
KenLinder
On 12/13/2022 at 3:35 PM, Luke said:

Hi @KenLinder why do you think Emby doesn't notice the subtitle file? This example should work perfectly:

Did you run a library scan after adding the subtitle file?

Yes I do. Sometimes EMBY does it fine, and other times it won't. I have an entire directory (in my library) that it won't even look at let alone find any subtitle files. For that subdirectory I can even go into the server settings (Metadata Manager) and find the directory in that library (the one the server refuses to display) and tell EMBY directly to update the metadata without any errors.  But the server refuses to provide me with those files.

I'm certain at this point that in Windows EMBY regularly screws up the permissions of directories and this makes it unable to update metadata, and unable to index new files added to existing directories -- but only SOME existing directories. Others work fine. It's a bug and in Win (from 7 on) there is no simple fix for dealing with this sort of permission screw up. There's also no reason at all for EMBY to fuck about with the permissions. I'm logged in as admin.

Edited by KenLinder

For that subdirectory I can even go into the server settings (Metadata Manager) and find the directory in that library (the one the server refuses to display) and tell EMBY directly to update the metadata without any errors.  But the server refuses to provide me with those files.

Can you please provide an example and attach the emby server log from doing that? Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
KenLinder
On 2/9/2023 at 5:31 PM, KenLinder said:

Yes I do. Sometimes EMBY does it fine, and other times it won't. I have an entire directory (in my library) that it won't even look at let alone find any subtitle files

A whole lot of permissions proctology revealed that the owner of the directories (and their contents) for my EMBY Libraries have been acquiring a new mysterious owner. Not all of them. Just some. And the owner is

Account Unknown(S-1-5-21-4193190889-2122530177-140414812-1000)

A user name of that sort usually means that that user no longer exists.

As a programmer the only circumstance I can come up with for this scenario is that some process creates a temporary user with a given set of permissions (god knows why) and uses it to (temporarily - in theory) take ownership of the files. It's always files in my EMBY Libraries. I resolved the problem by doing

icacls "C:\Files\Video" /grant Everyone:(OI)(CI)F /T

Now EMBY can see the files.

It's obvious that some user that used to exist changed the ownership of the files. It ain't magic.

I wonder if any application (oh I don't know... like EMBY) might run background processes that use a temporary user to grab ownership of the files in the media libraries so nobody can mess with those files for a moment.

Gee I wonder what would happen if a process like that died part way through, and never changed the OWNER of those files back... yes it's speculation but speculating on why tech isn't working was once a big piece of my job.

Edited by KenLinder

• 7 months later...
yuvraj94gill
On 10/10/2022 at 9:05 PM, Luke said:

HI, yes it's certainly possible for future updates.

Curious, is there an ETA on this? I just switched from Plex not too long ago, and I love the performance of Emby minus this one piece … everything else is an improvement on Plex

Update - there’s a bug, if you go to search it’ll say no results found at first but then if you click on languages and click another language then go back and search it’ll work

Edited by yuvraj94gill

28 minutes ago, yuvraj94gill said:

if you click on languages and click another language then go back and search it’ll work

Hi, what do you mean exactly? Can you please explain this? Thanks.