Watch Party

chef

chef
54 minutes ago, ebr said:

Yes, please, but I would suggest using our Channel interface for this instead of trying to directly manipulate libraries.  Channels show up just like a library.

Cool. 

rbjtech
3 hours ago, Cheesegeezer said:

Wow!! 2 days of being away at shows and look how far you have come!! Nice work fellas as always!! 

i will get on with making a watch together intro 

did the other thread get started.

Hold off for the moment .. lets get the PoC working first .. ;)

New plugin thread is here - https://emby.media/community/index.php?/topic/110999-watch-together/

• Agree 1

chef

Cool! Followed!

Just to touch base about feature requests.

It might be a while before we can implement them.

But we've broken ground, so to speak.

As we progress through our attempt, we'll be able to place DLLs here.

Here's to hoping we are to deliver something that will fit the criteria. 😉

Interested parties should definitely follow this thread. Eventually we'll have something 😀

Edited by chef
  • Like 1

Cheesegeezer

Apologies and back but was showing the princess Royal around with the president today! Absolutely buzzing

31A2D213-1063-4472-B969-FE84E9290594.thumb.jpeg.82c6f9bb255fc1f12bf9b8e3a6eeb78c.jpeg

96A22B9F-E871-4EC8-8560-D092C40ED217.thumb.jpeg.222d0aa3b77341a1ac41105aa438b193.jpeg

B3AACD7A-AE81-4A4E-A8A3-3DA5AC57159B.jpeg

Edited by Cheesegeezer
  • Like 2

Cheesegeezer
19 minutes ago, arrbee99 said:

Erm, President of what / where ?

Nice grass on the oil rig, by the way 😀

Turriff Show.. its a very prestigious show for equine and livestock here in the north of Scotland. Queen was has a few years back! But its one of the shows the royals love!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

TeamB

Until you guys have a working poc i would suggest using the dev forum otherwise you are going to get a lot of genral random "make the button green" sort of chatter and side track discussion before you know it.

Edited by Abobader
Removing link.
  • Agree 4

chef

Oh, one thing we can definitely ask here is what the channel name could be.

I vote that it is not called "watch together" because that name is taken.

Could be "watch party". 

At the same time, wouldn't  want to open a can if worms if there wasn't a general consensus, at that point we just chose the name. 😆

Since it'll be on everyone's home screen, it'd be worth hearing some ideas 😀

gihayes

Just throwing things out there, what about WatchSync, SyncWatch, or SyncViewing.

• Thanks 1

Mookdog
3 hours ago, gihayes said:

Just throwing things out there, what about WatchSync, SyncWatch, or SyncViewing.

or Sync Party

• Agree 1

slevin7

I think Watch Party is the best solution for a name.

"Syncparty" sounds more like clock comparisons 
Oh, and make the button green 😀

Edited by slevin7
  • Thanks 1

Mookdog
6 hours ago, chef said:

watchParty.thumb.png.ea84b7cb23d28f7d6545b1778f98b6e6.png

😆

Let's wire this thing up! Yeah!

Cant wait to see that on my screen lol My buddy brings the idea of watching movies from 2 locations. Great to see u guys are at it

Thats why the emby community is the best

Mook

chef

exciting stuff.

715020345_ididit.thumb.png.1e0a24d9d8aeb3b5799a956e900d6834.png

Still a way to go, but our watch party channel can now be populated with an item (or items... i suppose) to create a party.

Now, we'll have to continue with sync'ing the accounts, and (what i imagine to be somewhat of a difficult process of) creating parties in the UI?

Edited by chef
  • Like 3

chef

Generated watch parties, which pause the session the moment the main feature starts to play.

each session being added to the party as they start playback.

<WatchParty>
      <ItemName>Cars 3</ItemName>
      <ItemProductionYear>2017</ItemProductionYear>
      <SessionIds>
        <string>d25117ac2fc9242425e2ed554055e233</string>
      </SessionIds>
      <InProgress>false</InProgress>
    </WatchParty>

Once the  InProgress setting is set to true, the party will start, and anyone else who joins the party will be added at that moment of the stream... in theory.

This also helps us ignore parties are are inProgress.

Just have to figure out when it is decided that the party should start.

Is it when a particular user signs on to the party?

Is it at a certain time?

Is it both as an option?

rbjtech
17 minutes ago, chef said:

Just have to figure out when it is decided that the party should start.

Is it when a particular user signs on to the party?

Is it at a certain time?

Is it both as an option?

Too many threads .. !

So the initial 'creator' of the party should - in theory, be the Admin and they decide when it starts.

Auto starting a party on a timer is maybe something to look at down the line - I don't think it's needed just yet - or maybe not at all.   The only time I think this might be useful is incase the party admin forgets to actually start the playback - maybe a timer times out and starts automatically anyway after x minutes.?  You have 15 minutes to join the party for example.    Anyway -  Lets setup an idea party with a good well behaved host and see where the issues are .. haha

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, rbjtech said:

So the initial 'creator' of the party should - in theory, be the Admin and they decide when it starts.

While I agree with that, I think you will need the ability to designate a "controller" or owner of the party from your plug-in because the only one that can create a party will be an admin and they may not always want to also be the controller.

sydlexius
12 minutes ago, ebr said:

While I agree with that, I think you will need the ability to designate a "controller" or owner of the party from your plug-in because the only one that can create a party will be an admin and they may not always want to also be the controller.

My only concern with this sort of approach is that some parties might be organized well ahead of time, and then the admin/controller might not be available.  I'm not sure that there's a simple approach to allowing others to start parties (especially if one of those others is a kid), but there will eventually need to be a way to easily setup an ad-hoc method of starting a watch party.

rbjtech
16 minutes ago, ebr said:

..because the only one that can create a party will be an admin and they may not always want to also be the controller.

Not necessarily - and this is where the mechanics of 'how' it all works needs to be thought through.

We know there is no way a user can currently simply select a Movie and directly setup a Watch Party but they can add it to a 'Watch Party' playlist.  The playlist is then polled by the Plugin and from that it creates the Watch Party channel movie item.  Once it's appeared in the channel - then users can subscribe to it / add themselves in the lobby.  The 'Plugin/System' does all this - at this point there is no Watch party human admin for that item ?

Maybe if user who selected the film then joins the channel - they automatically get to become the 'admin' - if they don't, then the next person that does becomes the 'admin' ?.  I think the idea of a Party is anybody can control it ?

I guess a user with access to the Plugin (ie an emby admin) could change this I guess - but I don't think that is something to worry about for the proof of concept ?

Edited by rbjtech
  • Agree 1

chef

Well, I have the accounts all start, and pause at the beginning of the stream, on all the devices.

Let's start with  creating an admin controller in the plugin config, while we work on how playlist work.

This will be the easiest way to test how far off each stream is from one another.

I wonder how networks would handle a parallel request to all session as once to start? 😳

Edited by chef

rbjtech
13 minutes ago, chef said:

I wonder how networks would handle a parallel request to all session as once to start? 😳

Only one way to find out .. ;)

I think it really depends on how the user plays back that item.  One user could be direct play, with a great internet connection - another user may be joining from their phone and they need to transcode.  I guess we need to test all these scenario's.  Maybe for users with a lot of playback latency, they get kicked if they lose sync after 5 retries for example.  

Edited by rbjtech
  • Like 1