Play back Issues on Nvidia Shield as Server and Playback device

austie

austie

I recently help setup a Emby Server on an Nvidia Shield Pro 2019 model as well as the Emby App on the device for playback for a family friend as they loved how easy the system is to use and as they are not very tech savvy, wanted something simple for their grandkids to watch stuff as Plex as problematic for them after the person who set it up moved away.

After setting up the library's we found it would start/stop playback which was partly caused by a wifi connection issue which was resolved by changing to wired network as well as upon doing some research I found some issues in the settings of the app permissions which I changed as well as post pointing to disabling the DNLA playback.

Everything then started to get worse over the course of a week with the blue spinning wheel showing it's loading but when reviewing the status of the server playback on a laptop showed that the movie was playing back but the shield emby app just showed the blue spinning wheel.

I run Emby Server from a Windows PC and play back on a shield device with no issues so I am at a loss as to what is going on.

I've attached the logs to help highlight what occurred on the most recent attempt to get this resolved.

Any help would be greatly appriciated

embyserver.txt ffmpeg-remux-1132c7c8-0985-4009-9375-522f58935f6d_1.txt

Hi.  A couple of things to try.  First, make sure the Shield isn't running out of space in the playback attempt and also update both the server and the app as they are both behind.

Please let us know how you make out.

austie

@ebr where do I find the setting for the playback space?

The only thing on this shield is it's default apps and the Emby Server and App. Will update both also.

All files are stored on a Qnap NAS

1 minute ago, austie said:

@ebr where do I find the setting for the playback space?

The only thing on this shield is it's default apps and the Emby Server and App. Will update both also.

All files are stored on a Qnap NAS

Hi, by space he just means how much disk space is available on the Shield. How much space do you have available?

Also are you able to update to Emby server 4.7?

austie

The shield has 8.5gb free and has just been updated to the latest version.

I'm unable to collect logs at present as they have gone away until next week but it's still doing the same as prior to the update just spinning on the shield but showing playing on dashboard

2 hours ago, austie said:

was having some trouble trying to get the log from the app

Hi.  What problem did you have?  Did you follow the instructions in the article I linked for sending the log from the app during playback?

@ebr I did follow the guide but with the debug option on the server went unresponsive for some unknown reason.

Is it because I have the Emby Server on the Nvidia Shield as well as the Emby App that could  be causing this issue?

In my own personal setup only difference to the way this setup is that the Shield is acting as Server and playback functionality as well as the free version of Emby Server.

My own setup I have the Emby lifetime subscription license installed on a Win10 as the server

QNAP Nasboxes for the storage

Nvidia Shield for playback

And I've not got any of these issues at all.

4 hours ago, austie said:

I did follow the guide

Hi.  You followed these instructions?  If so, can you please provide the requested info?  Thanks.

Emby for Android TV/Fire TV and Emby for Roku Logs

These apps have the option to send an app log to us electronically.  You enter the settings page and turn on the "Debug Options".  Now there will be a new option on the user menu at the top of your app home page labelled "Send Log".  

If you are using Android TV/Fire TV and your problem is with playback, please send the log directly from the playback OSD.
There will be an option on the "cog" menu.

Reproduce your problem and then use this button to send the log.  Then add the following information to your report in the forum:

• Exactly what you were doing and what happened.  Include the name of whatever you played if it is a playback problem
  • The time you sent the log (in Eastern Time please - UTC -5)
  • The name of the Emby user on the local server that was logged in at the time

• 4 weeks later...

Good Evening @ebr

Due to illiness and covid I've finally been able get the debug/logs again however within the with debug logging enabled I have no ability to send the logs to you.

It's still just a spinning wheel and no display, eventually it gives an error along the lines of "Gave up too many errors".

I've given you the screen shot of what the Sever is configured as, a photo showing what is happening on the TV/SHIELD for reference and all the most recent logs

Regards

Austie

image.thumb.png.04c757321343d94c92546fb57a0c089a.png

20220908_201449.jpg

ffmpeg-directstream-4df2785f-3aa6-4827-9e00-48134308060e_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-7fdc6807-5b3c-4e25-bb18-5f60d699ef23_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-f9ab843c-eea0-41b9-884d-302c6f7f2243_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-a1044cfa-2071-4c0b-bf40-b02288eb6f04_1.txt ffmpeg-transcode-3d79a441-d28c-4df9-8a3c-e8657a02128e_1.txt embyserver (3).txt

Hi.  Not the debug logging on the server - there is an option in the app labeled "Debug Options".

However, it looks like ffmpeg is crashing on your server so that app log may not tell us much anyway.  You should update the app and also can you try sideloading our standard android app on the same device and see how that compares?

• 2 weeks later...

@Luke & @ebr

Unfortunately side loading the application did not make any issue, it actually lost the fact that the person had paid for the application on their Google account & had no way to tell it that it had been paid for.

There was no application update in the Google Playstore to download either so no application updates

With the sideloaded version it just continued with the spinning wheel.

As both the server and application are playing on the same device is this part of the cause of the problem?

6 hours ago, austie said:

@Luke & @ebr

Unfortunately side loading the application did not make any issue, it actually lost the fact that the person had paid for the application on their Google account & had no way to tell it that it had been paid for.

There was no application update in the Google Playstore to download either so no application updates

With the sideloaded version it just continued with the spinning wheel.

As both the server and application are playing on the same device is this part of the cause of the problem?

Hi, we haven't worked that out yet but ultimately you'll be able to carry the purchase over.

• 5 weeks later...

@Luke & @ebr, after lots of trial and error I've manage to get the setup working but found when using a 2nd Nvidia Shield device for troubleshooting that housing the server and the app on the same device was just not going to work.

Not sure if there is something else that can be done, but for now the happy family have the server running on an old QNAP TS-569L with the shield as the player side of it.

@Luke as I posted at the start of the thread its a spinning wheel then gives up. The dashboard on the server looks like it's trying to play but the app doesn't play it in the end.

Nothing is different in the network setup apart from the QNAP model that stores the data and I use a Windows box for my Emby server to the Shield/Shield/Qnap setup that was having these issues.

Ran latest version of the server and the emby app also still no good.

It also ran on wired 1gb network connection.

Only way to resolve was to remove the Emby Server off of the Nvidia Shield for media to play back.

16 hours ago, austie said:

@Luke as I posted at the start of the thread its a spinning wheel then gives up. The dashboard on the server looks like it's trying to play but the app doesn't play it in the end.

Nothing is different in the network setup apart from the QNAP model that stores the data and I use a Windows box for my Emby server to the Shield/Shield/Qnap setup that was having these issues.

Ran latest version of the server and the emby app also still no good.

It also ran on wired 1gb network connection.

Only way to resolve was to remove the Emby Server off of the Nvidia Shield for media to play back.

I would suggest updating the Shield Server to 4.7.8.