Automatic installs over network

Stellarat
Go to solution Solved by SamES,

Stellarat

As my TV is from 2016 it no longer receives App updates from the Samsung App Store for Emby, thanks to @FrostByte for pointing this out: 

So I am stuck on v1.0.94 unless I install the app myself.  

The instructions pinned in this forum describe how to do this with a USB key, but this is a bit of a fiddle if I have to do it every month. (This is due to Samsung disabling apps installed this way after a month since it was built/compiled).

Can it be done over the network instead using sdb from the Tizen developer tools? (I have tried to find info on this but it only describes how to install a wgt file, not tmg).

Furthermore, has anybody looked into automating the process? Perhaps by getting the client to raise an event on the server when it's nearing the end of its lifetime, and then an agent (perhaps even a plugin) on the PC downloads the latest build and installs it over the network?   

Thanks

• Like 1

Right but that's going to be too much of a process for a typical end user. The USB install is manual, yes, but it's also very easy.

Stellarat
1 minute ago, Luke said:

Right but that's going to be too much of a process for a typical end user. The USB install is manual, yes, but it's also very easy.

Gotcha, which is why I'm asking whether anyone has looked at automating it.

But granted, it wouldn't be for the typical end user because even getting the TV into developer mode with the IP of the PC is tricky enough for most.

The bit I'm struggling with though is that sdb seems to need a wgt or tpk file to install, and the USB install is a folder with a license and tmg file.

Any idea of how to get something which is installable by sdb?

Thanks

• Solution
SamES

The issue with using development bridge, or any other method using a wgt file is that you need the full source code, which is not publicly available.  The .wgt file is just a .zip archive of the source, so again, it's not publicly available.

The .tmg that is published is an encrypted package, created by Samsung.

Unfortunately it's not possible to automate this in the way that you want to.

• Like 1

Stellarat
4 hours ago, SamES said:

The issue with using development bridge, or any other method using a wgt file is that you need the full source code, which is not publicly available.  The .wgt file is just a .zip archive of the source, so again, it's not publicly available.

The .tmg that is published is an encrypted package, created by Samsung.

Unfortunately it's not possible to automate this in the way that you want to.

Ah okay, thanks @SamES, that does kill the idea!