Have server sleep until accessed

ITGuy1024

ITGuy1024

I've seen posts about keeping the Emby server from sleeping but I am looking to have my server sleep until it's called on from the Emby app.

Is there any trick to doing this?

Gilgamesh_48

I "think" that would be controlled through the operating system and is problematic at best.

But I do want to say that it is a very bad idea. The Emby server does a lot when it is not being actively used and you really gain so little that it is not worth the effort.

Allowing the monitor to sleep is not a problem and I run my server effectively headless.

This comes under the idea of "possible but not practical." There are numerous posts about "wake on LAN" for this use case and it seems the last time I did a through check WOL functionality is not consistent across all operating systems and hardware configurations.

If you do find out exactly how you need to configure everything and get it working correctly you should expect to have to manually have to wake the server from time to time. The reliability of all WOL functionality is not good at all.

• Agree 1

On 7/29/2022 at 9:14 PM, ITGuy1024 said:

I've seen posts about keeping the Emby server from sleeping but I am looking to have my server sleep until it's called on from the Emby app.

Is there any trick to doing this?

Hi, just configure your server machine to sleep. Some Emby apps have functions on the server selection screen that you can use to manually send Wake On Lan signals.

Please let us know if this helps. Thanks !

• Like 1

ITGuy1024
2 hours ago, Luke said:

Hi, just configure your server machine to sleep. Some Emby apps have functions on the server selection screen that you can use to manually send Wake On Lan signals.

Thanks. That actually seems to work well. For some reason I thought it was more evolved. Maybe I had tried previously with an older Emby version.

• 1 year later...
GeorgeCalli
On 8/1/2022 at 5:06 PM, Luke said:

Sounds good. Exactly what is needed. 

Does the Emby app for LG TV have this feature? 

Thanks 

Edited by GeorgeCalli
Grammar

2 hours ago, GeorgeCalli said:

Sounds good. Exactly what is needed. 

Does the Emby app for LG TV have this feature? 

Thanks 

Unfortunately no. LG does not provide the necessary developer api's for the app to be able to do this.