Subtitles/Closed Captioning

RichardEnglish

RichardEnglish

How come the subtitles and captioning are impossible to edit? Subtitles that play just fine on Plex or my computer, don't play on Emby or they play whether you want them to or not. Same with captioning. No way to turn them off if you don't want them, and if you want them you get nothing. 

pwhodges

Have you checked the settings for subtitles under your user?

image.jpeg.462b59977b8ca425a702f9ac6c82f7f3.jpeg

As for turning off unwanted subs, you can do that on the movie/episode details screen before you play, or using the [CC] icon when already playing.

Paul

RichardEnglish

Details section = "More"? If so, nothing works there. You can select anything you want and click on it until your thumb cramps, and nothing happens. And I've adjusted the settings 75 times and nothing happens. 

pwhodges

When you display the screen with details of a movie or episode, you have drop-downs for subs and different audio versions.  For example:

image.jpeg.287ee4bca6a64478c0839efe18ad84e2.jpeg

Paul

pwhodges

Click on a library - you see move or series posters?

Click on a movie (avoiding the play arrow) - you see a screen with details, including those drop downs?

Or, click on a series - scroll down slightly and you see one or move "Season folders?

Click on a season folder - you see a list of episodes?

Click on an episode (avoiding the play arrow) - you should see a screen with details like my picture.

Paul

pwhodges

Ah - is that from the "continue playing" row on a Roku?  I think that may be missing the subtitle drop down in the Roku client (I know there's something funny, but I haven't got around to checking it to report).

Alternatively, it just occurs to me, are your subtitles embedded, or are they separate files?  And if separate files, are they in a "subtitles" sub-folder? - because having them in a subfolder is not currently supported by Emby (there's been recent pressure for this to be supported).

Paul

• Like 1

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, RichardEnglish said:

It's a Firestick 

Can you show how do your folder contents look like for that movie? 

GrimReaper
1 minute ago, RichardEnglish said:

So it's the Samsung client app that doesn't work?

That is not Samsung client app, Firesticks use AndroidTV client app. 

pwhodges

Firestick runs a version of the Android client - not a Samsung client...

Tell us in detail where your subs are stored, and we'll work from there.

Paul

GrimReaper
Just now, RichardEnglish said:

I just pulled that to present an example. 

If you don't have Subs dropdown there, means either you have no subs or they are not named properly/recognized, hence a screenshot of that movie folder might give some insight. 

RichardEnglish

The movie here shown plays subs just fine on Plex and my laptop. In Emby there aren't even subs listed in the subs menu. 

16591303237203193974425181360916.jpg

GrimReaper

Without full video and subtitle names we can only guess. Can you expand that column?