DC220+ Server running and accessible ONLY from NAS, anywhere else NOT

Axytigana

Axytigana

Hi,

I have set up my Emby on my new NAS 220+, DM7.1, Works fine from the NAS itself. If I try accessing the server from my LG TV or my Computer it comes back with 

"Connection Failure. We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."

despite the fact that I have no firewall or anything like that installed on my NAS.

Please help, I am trying to decide between Plex and Emby and to be honest at this point they both proved to be as unreliable as the other.

Please help as I am going crazy, the TV even sees the IP address for the server on the NAS but it still comes back with the same error as trying to access it from chrome on PC.

Kind regards,

Marius

c248d735ad1d5a7925e8458736ccb5ea.png

Hi @Axytigana generally this points to a firewall on the server machine blocking the connection. Can you please take a look at our Connection Troubleshooter?

https://support.emby.media/support/solutions/articles/44001849007-connectivity

Please try the steps listed there and let us know which ones succeed and which ones do not. Thanks !

Axytigana

Hi Luke,

Thank you for your reply and support. @cayars

I have followed the link you sent and it clearly states that: "Most Emby apps can automatically discover your Emby Server on your home network, so in those cases, there's nothing more you need to do".

Both my TV and my PC are able to see the Emby server (even detailing the IP address underneath). The PC is on the same home personal wired network while my TV is connected to the same home personal network but via WI-FI. Still the error occurs "Connection Failure. We're unable to connect to the selected server right now. Please ensure it is running and try again."

As you can see on my NAS I do not have a firewall installed at all (see picture with all the apps installed on my 220+NAS)

Plex connection works, Plex itself has some shortcomings in my opinion, but not related to connection issues.

I want to try Emby to be able to compare the service and decide which one to use, so far I was unable to test Emby as I cannot use the server.

I am not saying you are not correct in regards to potential restrictions from my NAS, but as Plex and Media server are connecting fine, this is clearly an issue with Emby not my setup, hence trying to find some support here.

If I open Emby from the NAs it opens up fine as per below pic.

If I try accessing from Chrome or TV it shows as per below picture (as you can see the IP address and port are identical as shown on my NAS.

I am more than happy to provide you with a Team Viewer connection from my PC or my NAS if you have the time, I appreciate you would not have the time to do this for every user here but it was just an idea :) 

Emby opened from NAS.png

Chrome login.png

DS220+ Apps.png

Hi, is it only the client on the WiFi connection that has the problem? If so it's likely just your router treating the wireless segment as a different lan segment isolation wise even if using the same IP ranges.  This is pretty common these days as running the wifi isolated keeps down traffic, broadcasts and other network chatter saving bandwidth.

What I do in my routers is setup a "local" network domain extension of "lan".  Since my router is my primary dns controller as well I can add a dns record of emby.lan 192.168.1.7 and then anywhere on my network instead of remembering IP I just use the name emby.lan. I do that for many apps I run.

Regardless, on the wifi based client just add a server manually and add it's IP address or local name (like I use) and port 8096 (default) and it should work just fine.

Carlo

Edited by cayars

Axytigana

Hi Carlo,

Thank you for your support.

The PC is connected via wired cable to the same router the NAS is so this isn't a WiFi setting thing.

I have tried changing the settings as per your advice it makes no difference I am afraid.

I guess I will never know how emby works versus Plex as for me ... it doesn't...

Thank you for your time and effort anyways.

Kind regards,

Axy

Axytigana

Hi Luke, sure thing, that would be great. Let me know when would you be able to do so, maybe a PM so I do not share all my TV connection details :)