Help: Upgrading Emby Server and Synology Server to Latest Version(s)

VincenzoSims

VincenzoSims

Hello,

I'm currently running Emby Server 4.4.3.0 and would finally like to upgrade to the latest version of 4.7.5.0, where I'm currently running my Synology DSM Server on 6.2.4-25556 Update 6 and would also like to upgrade that to latest version of DSM 7.0.1 too.

My request of help: How do I do such thing, since my version(s) of server OSes are so out-of-date? Does the 'DSM 6 to DSM 7 Emby Migration Instructions' still apply?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

Cheers,

Vincenzo Sims

Edited by VincenzoSims

You're running a version over 2 years old and a lot of database changes have taken place as well as library changes.  Before thinking about upgrading to DSM7 I'd concentrate on getting Emby Server brought up to the current release.  Because there have been a lot of database/library changes you don't want to jump versions doing an update as that's never really been tested. We test upgrades from the previous version.  Part of the upgrade on a couple of these versions requires a full library refresh as well.

I could go over the procedure with you via private message but I think all things considered it would be better if we do an initial remote support session.  I can get some needed info this way about your NAS, it's layout, where things are stored, where you have your media.  We can look at backups and I'll grab a copy of a couple key directories before starting as well as help you install/configure/test setting up the Emby Config Backup Plugin assuming you have Premiere. This way we have your initial setup covered in case something doesn't work out well.

Once I know what NAS you have we can download the setup files you'll use for each version upgrade and setup some basic notes in a text file for each version upgrade. Unless there is a rush on your part to get this done we can do an Emby upgrade a day, let it run overnight doing it's nightly processes which will make sure versions with library changes get done correctly as well as allow you to use the system verifying everything is working before installing the next update.

So a couple to three upgrades every other day would be ideal.  This way your Emby Server is up to date on DSM 6 and verified working correctly.
What's just described is the first part of the migration. :)    This is also going the harder part avoiding a rush or quick upgrade of 4.4.3 to 4.7.5 which may not get the internal database upgrades correct (not really tested jumping like that).  It also wouldn't be a great idea to leave it 4.4.3 and upgrade DSM to 7 then have an old version with NO DSM7 versions going back that far to step upgrade.  So you want/need to get up to date while on DSM 6 first but I can go over this with you so it's crystal clear.

I'll send you a PM and we can setup this up.

Carlo

• Like 1

VincenzoSims

Hi @cayars & @Luke,

Thanks for this much needed information!

It has helped a lot - and I plan on taking this approach to the upgrade(s).

I will review the Private Message and consider the Initial Remote Support Session so we can get this moving.

Once it's completed, I'll update this thread (topic) to let others know if I recommend this approach.

Thanks!

Cheers,

Vincenzo Sims

• Like 1