Emby on Android Devices Black Screen but Audio working

ralothar
Go to solution Solved by Luke,

ralothar

Good evening,

unfortunately I ran into a problem when trying to play certain episodes on my android devices (Tab S7plus and LG Vevlvet). When playing this exact series every episode has a black screen but I can hear the audio track. I can't replicate the same problem with other series or movies. However it happens with both my mobile android devices (which is a bummer because those are my main way of consuming content). The same episode works flawless on the webui or if I enable an external media player on android. I have attached the Log File from the webui. I hope that's the right one.

Now I can't really say if this is a server side problem (in my case a Synology NAS) or if this a android app problem.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Best regards,

ralothar

embyserver.txt

ralothar

Didn't want to bump this thread cause it was the weekend but Is there anything I can learn from these two files? Is the problem on my side or a bug?

JoshL

Hi, I'm curious what the Media Info section says for the episodes that display a black screen. Particularly the video stream and what codec it is.

Could you possibly share a screenshot of that section?

JoshL

Thanks. I have an idea what's happening based on this and the app log but I have no way to test it. 

Could you PM a sample for testing?

21 minutes ago, ralothar said:

I would like to do that however upon sending, a warning pops up that you can't receive messages

You can send it to me instead and I'll make sure he gets it. Thanks.

34 minutes ago, ralothar said:

I would like to do that however upon sending, a warning pops up that you can't receive messages @Abobader

His PM storage is over limited, but try again now.

3 hours ago, JoshL said:

Thanks. I have an idea what's happening based on this and the app log but I have no way to test it. 

Could you PM a sample for testing?

You need to organized your PM storage, since you reach the limited allowed for storage, but for now, I increase it.

Edited by Abobader
Typing correction

11 minutes ago, Luke said:

You can send it to me instead and I'll make sure he gets it. Thanks.

No need, I already increase the limited storage

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hello.
I have the same problem, but on android version 4.2. And Emby version 2.9.90. (above does not work on Iconbit Toucan Duo).
Can I fix it somehow?

I don't know if it helps at all - but on the external display basically everything works except the video itself.  The GUI / program prior to starting the video works all normal on the display - and even during the video - the controls/overlay and logos all display, just over a black screen.

If I use an external player - that works fine, any of them.  Just doesn't save progress that way etc.

On 9/29/2022 at 10:59 AM, bookw said:

I don't know if it helps at all - but on the external display basically everything works except the video itself.  The GUI / program prior to starting the video works all normal on the display - and even during the video - the controls/overlay and logos all display, just over a black screen.

If I use an external player - that works fine, any of them.  Just doesn't save progress that way etc.

That's strange. Can you please try this version of the android app:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u1obwrckg4lkjc8/emby-android-google-armeabi-v7a-release.apk?dl=0

And then provide a log from the app by following these instructions: 

Thanks !

• 7 months later...
DragonSkills99

I have the same problem... I just installed the latest Beta-Version on my Synology and looked if there is a later Version on Google Play. As long as I'm watching on my build in screen, it works, but as soon as I attach a monitor to it, the video output stays black. I guess it's quite common as it's not the first smartphone with that problem, maybe it's also cause by Samsung DEX as both were from Samsung. The Screens I used were NReal Air Glasses and ViewSonic TD1655. Both are connected via USB-C. But using HDMI via a Docking Station, doesn't matter. (The problem persists even without said station in between)

Smartphones with said problem I used: Samsung S21 Ultra 5G, Samsung Z4 Fold

For Logs, there are none under the specified path in the linked thread on my mobile:20230515_173559.thumb.jpg.e7f11f0c2b2e60b81598bc1d6466d6e8.jpg

and there is only a windows path for the server but I'm on synology, but I higly doubt that the server logs would be helpful as the videos are sent correctly but not displayed on external devices...

Greetings 

DragonSkills99 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2023 at 11:38 AM, DragonSkills99 said:

I have the same problem... I just installed the latest Beta-Version on my Synology and looked if there is a later Version on Google Play. As long as I'm watching on my build in screen, it works, but as soon as I attach a monitor to it, the video output stays black. I guess it's quite common as it's not the first smartphone with that problem, maybe it's also cause by Samsung DEX as both were from Samsung. The Screens I used were NReal Air Glasses and ViewSonic TD1655. Both are connected via USB-C. But using HDMI via a Docking Station, doesn't matter. (The problem persists even without said station in between)

Smartphones with said problem I used: Samsung S21 Ultra 5G, Samsung Z4 Fold

For Logs, there are none under the specified path in the linked thread on my mobile:20230515_173559.thumb.jpg.e7f11f0c2b2e60b81598bc1d6466d6e8.jpg

and there is only a windows path for the server but I'm on synology, but I higly doubt that the server logs would be helpful as the videos are sent correctly but not displayed on external devices...

Greetings 

DragonSkills99 

@DragonSkills99what version of android does this device run?