Server name has changed, can't connect

gddeluca
Go to solution Solved by gddeluca,

gddeluca

Haven't used Emby for a while. Meanwhile, my desktop has been replaced, and has a new name. I can't connect anymore from my Firestick. It keeps looking for the old name of the desktop, even though I have uninstalled and re-installed the Firestick Emby app.  It pops up the prompt to go to the Emby web site and enter the pin, but entering the pin says Pin accepted, but the Firestick app goes nowhere.

I've even tried entering the IP address of the Emby server manually, no effect.

What can I try next?

I've even tried entering the IP address of the Emby server manually, no effect.

Hi, and what exactly happened? Are you sure you entered the correct address? What address did you enter?

gddeluca

I got the IP address right from the Emby server on my desktop. What I find unusual is that when I go to the website to enter the pin number, it asks for my ID and password, most other app sync routines only want the pin, Regardless, I enter ID, password and pin, and it says pin validated. 

But the Emby app on the Firestick still won't connect.  It was several months ago since the Firestick connected to Emby, and that was my old system, which had a different name. 

What is also unusual is that even though I've uninstalled and reinstalled Emby on the Firestick, it STILL knows the name of my old desktop. And I've done the removal of the name when it fails to connect. But it keeps coming back. 

Truly weird. 

gddeluca

OK, cleared the cache. No difference whatsoever.  Web site says Pin verified, but nothing happens on the Emby Firestick App, it just sits there as if I'd never gone to the website.

gddeluca

OK, after much mucking about with passwords, ID's, Firewall settings etc. I have a connection now.  But Emby certainly didn't help much itself. Many attempts just ended with Emby sitting there as if I'd done nothing. No error messages, nothing.  Not impressed.

But many thanks for your help.

George

1 hour ago, gddeluca said:

but nothing happens on the Emby Firestick App, it just sits there as if I'd never gone to the website

Did you hit the "Next" button?

• Solution
gddeluca

Yes, eventually the Next button did something. It was after I got the Firewall/Password messup corrected and I was able to connect from my laptop.  Then I went back to the TV/Firestick and tried again. I cleared cache, uninstalled/re-installed, and did the Pin # connect again, and it worked.

So althought it seems to have been a firewall issue at first, I messed it up with multiple changes to passwords etc. trying to get connected.

George