Basic file naming convention - im struggling

andytipping

andytipping

Hi - first off, can I say how fantastic emby is at finding series names etc from very little information.

Theres a few Im struggling with, in order here in the importance to me.

1. Timeslip - a children's series from the 70's - there was only a single series - with 4  different stories - each about 6 episodes long.

Ive tried to put each story in a separate folder - within a folder called time slip, ive tried the original file naming convention (S01 E01 P2) being series one episode one part 2 - this finds nothing

I then changed the 4  stories into 4 series,  with each "part" being a separate episode - this finds the first 4 episodes from story 1 and nothing else .

Ive tried simply having the name of the episode - this again lists the first story on emby but on playback, its given the "parts" the wrong name and in the wrong sequence [part 2 of story 2 plays after part 1 of story 1 etc. 

Ive even cut the folder out - added again an episode at a time - but nothing puts all 26 episodes in place and most wont go past story 1 - any ideas guys? 

This was the most important question as media files are missing from emby.

The second issue is less important as there are no files actually missing - simply misidentified namely 

2. Startrek TNG 

it simply gives names - and consequently story lines - to episodes at random! i have no idea how or why - but -and this is a guess  based on season1 it seems to be something to do with long stories that span 2 episodes. - theres nothing missing and i can cope lol but it would be nice if what the story line is described is actually the episode i end up watching.

oddly, the original star trek also suffers from this - only slightly less so.

Sorry if having 2 bites of the cherry in 1 post isnt allowed - but i thought that they may be related?

nuke11

Here is how I would name the folders and files.

Folder Name : Timeslip (1970)

Sub Folder Name : Season 1

File Names : Timeslip (1970) [S01E01].mkv/mp4 (whatever your file type is)

For multi part episode files : Timeslip (1970) [S01E01-E02].mkv/mp4

For time slip there would be 26 episodes in Season 1.

Timeslip - Aired Order - Season 1 - TheTVDB.com

Edited by nuke11

andytipping

Hi  Niuke - thanks for the quick reply - when the original format (s01e01p01 - s01e04p06) failed, that was my precise choice - i cant get any but the first 4 episodes to display (i believe there are 6 parts to story 1)

once its "broken" a few times, what is the best way to make emby take another look at a series?

once its "broken" a few times, what is the best way to make emby take another look at a series?

Hi, using the Identify feature on the series can help with this.

andytipping
7 minutes ago, Luke said:

Hi, using the Identify feature on the series can help with this.

lol just tried this - its now disappeared completely!  

its very odd that it finds the first 4 episodes fine - then nothing - thats not even a complete story

andytipping
11 minutes ago, Luke said:

What has disappeared?

the entire timeslip series - together with artwork

- identified it using tvdb number and it went!

However, its now 100% working after yet another renaming epic - ill post to all on the topic - once i prove to myself whats happening

It didn't disappear. It got changed into whatever you Identified it to. What did you Identify it to?

andytipping

Thanks Guys - it's fixed!

Thank you Nuke 11 for the link to the tvdb page associated with the series - this was my first clue.

named the first story EXACTLY as the name appeared in the "name" column in the tvdb. - all 6 episodes appeared!

so what had i done wrong? - well its only my theory - but ive played and kinda proved it to myself -  though the file name is unique, the "story" part of the name wasn't for a given story.

Simply adding the part number in brackets at the end of the title - fixed the issue. hence only 4 episodes showing - because there were only 4 different "names" as far as emby was concerned - what i hadnt noticed was the names it used for the first 4 episodes of the first story  were the names of the 4 stories in the series - so it had kinda split the file from its coresponding story? [i think] - it played the first 4 episodes of story one in sequence - yet named each episod as story1 story2 story3 and story4 

Im not sure id even considered putting the part number of the story in brackets after the story name - if i hadn't seen the way tvdb handles things! - wonder if that works for star trek tng????

Once again many thanks guys - couldn't have done it without your input - we are never too old to learn eh?

andytipping
15 minutes ago, Luke said:

It didn't disappear. It got changed into whatever you Identified it to. What did you Identify it to?

yes it did - no poster no name - nothing lol - i deleted the whole folder and started again - fixed now but thanks - its obviously me on a learning curve